U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM

65 posts, read 161,552 times

Advertisements

Well, here's the thing...I never been to Canada, so this will be an adventure. Have alot of questions but first, like my title says "need help to know which forum?" Okay, here it is...I'm thinking about going on a vacation, possibly in August to Tyendinaga, Ontario area. So, before asking anymore questions, I like to be in the right forum. However, another question came to mind about Canada borders, if you don't mind me asking. What do I need to know about crossing over to Canada? Of course, I have a valid ID driver's license and auto insurance but, what else would I need to show at the border? By the way, I'll be driving up to Canada. I know you need a passport if traveling by airplane but, do I still need a passport if traveling by vehicle? Sorry, about asking more questions, lol. Like I said, I have alot of questions. Anyways, any help will be appreciated...just to be clear, I'm going to drive my personal car up there, NOT an 18wheeler (even though, I'm a truck driver.) Well, thanks again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM

903 posts, read 2,241,716 times
This looks to be the correct forum.

You'll need a passport or an enhanced driver's license so you don't have any issues entering Canada or returning to the US.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM

38,856 posts, read 20,166,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Well, here's the thing...I never been to Canada, so this will be an adventure. Have alot of questions but first, like my title says "need help to know which forum?" Okay, here it is...I'm thinking about going on a vacation, possibly in August to Tyendinaga, Ontario area. So, before asking anymore questions, I like to be in the right forum. However, another question came to mind about Canada borders, if you don't mind me asking. What do I need to know about crossing over to Canada? Of course, I have a valid ID driver's license and auto insurance but, what else would I need to show at the border? By the way, I'll be driving up to Canada. I know you need a passport if traveling by airplane but, do I still need a passport if traveling by vehicle? Sorry, about asking more questions, lol. Like I said, I have alot of questions. Anyways, any help will be appreciated...just to be clear, I'm going to drive my personal car up there, NOT an 18wheeler (even though, I'm a truck driver.) Well, thanks again...
You will need a valid US passport to re-enter the US ... The driver's license won't be enough to get back into the US even if you are only driving versus flying ...

Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Marc3565 - Just curious, what do you mean by an enhanced driver's license?

Chatteress - I read an article about something about canada border, granted that article was revised in 2011. It said, I would only need a passport if I'm flying but, by traveling by car, I won't need one, just an valid ID and insurance. Anyways, do you still think it would be best to get the passport anyways? If so, do you know how much would one cost? I remember it was only $35 but, sure the prices gone up by now, lol

Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM

242 posts, read 439,026 times
You will need a passport. Also bring your drivers license.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Will I need a passport for both U.S. and Canada?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 PM

903 posts, read 2,241,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Will I need a passport for both U.S. and Canada?
You need to bring your US passport OR an enhanced driver's licence.. You would have no way to obtain a Canadian Passport..

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM

7,241 posts, read 6,581,911 times
If you're a U.S. citizen then you need your U.S. passport. When crossing into Canada you WILL be asked for your passport but if you don't have that they might let you in with the enhanced driver's license, but don't count on it. When crossing back into the U.S. you WILL be asked for your passport and if you don't have a passport you will be in trouble. Without your passport to re-enter the States they will apprehend you, keep you for intimidating 3rd degree gestapo type questioning, finger-printing, photographing, I.D. checking, they may want confirmation about your employment, financial status, bank statements, they may want phone numbers of upstanding people in the States to call to confirm that you are who you say you are. All of that information will go into their database.

Trust me, it's not worth the hassle and the humiliation. Go get your passport and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you're a U.S. citizen then you need your U.S. passport. When crossing into Canada you WILL be asked for your passport but if you don't have that they might let you in with the enhanced driver's license, but don't count on it. When crossing back into the U.S. you WILL be asked for your passport and if you don't have a passport you will be in trouble. Without your passport to re-enter the States they will apprehend you, keep you for 3rd degree gestapo type questioning, finger-printing, photographing, I.D. checking, they may want confirmation about your employment, financial status, bank statements, they may want phone numbers of upstanding people in the States to call to confirm that you are who you say you are. All of that information will go into their database.

Trust me, it's not worth the hassle. Go get your passport and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Wow, yeah..I really don't want that kind of hassle either. Especially, for a vacation trip. Thanks for everyone's help about that. Sure, I might have other questions later about other things. Can't think of them at the moment. Anyways, thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada