U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,654,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"In God we Trust" -- God is built into the American consitution. Not so in Canada. I think the U.S. is quite a bit more religious than Canada.
Taken from the preamble to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,651,495 times
Quote:
"In God we Trust" -- God is built into the American consitution. Not so in Canada. I think the U.S. is quite a bit more religious than Canada.
Actually In God We Trust isn't from the Constitution it was put on our money during the Civil War and increased religious fervor. Technically Canada is more of a theocracy than the US though in practice it's much the opposite.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Taken from the preamble to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law
And we have prayer in Parliament.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 AM

242 posts, read 439,216 times
^ Say what you want but the reality is that you are way more likely to find religious propaganda in the US whether it's bumper stickers, politics, t-shirts, church attendance, etc. Religion does play a role in the Canadian way of life but when compared to the US, it's relatively pale. There is no arguing with that.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 AM

21,950 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
^ Say what you want but the reality is that you are way more likely to find religious propaganda in the US whether it's bumper stickers, politics, t-shirts, church attendance, etc. Religion does play a role in the Canadian way of life but when compared to the US, it's relatively pale. There is no arguing with that.
Have to agree with this.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 AM

8,600 posts, read 11,088,073 times
Quote:
You need to brush up on your Constitutional study. In God We Trust was introduced during the Civil War, and was the official motto in the 50's. Of course this was already posted. D'oh!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,577,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hard to beat southern USA for religious fervor as on a recent trip through Northern Florida,Mississippi and Alabama the quantity of churches is astounding, they are on almost every street corner, hard to drive a mile without seeing several small churches on our trip, hard to believe there are enough people to fill all those churches..
Yes, well the South is still very religious and a lot of those churches are rarely filled with a lot of people however. I don't see anything wrong with it and I never go to church. It confuses me as to why some get so mad at people that want to go to church? Who cares? Let them believe in God if they want.....

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,577,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I don't see any of the big church US movement here in Canada. At least not in Ontario or Quebec. Church attendance is declining here by the year but it is a slow process of course. I was in the US last week and counted dozens of stickers on peoples cars saying "One nation under god" and "god bless the USA', while in Canada I have never seen these stickers once. I do see the odd car with that fish looking thing on the back of their cars. But overall, religious Canadians are more quiet about their beliefs and non vocal.

To put it in perspective, historically around 60-65% of Canadians vote for center-left wing parties (Liberal, NDP, Bloq, Green).
And also, several states now offer a "In God We Trust" license plate. I know that Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia and a few other states offer it.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hard to beat southern USA for religious fervor as on a recent trip through Northern Florida,Mississippi and Alabama the quantity of churches is astounding, they are on almost every street corner, hard to drive a mile without seeing several small churches on our trip, hard to believe there are enough people to fill all those churches..
most of those churches aren't full and they're very small with maybe one Sunday service. It's that in the South, people are never satisfied with a church so they start a new one. Pastors get power hungry and they start their own churches and half the congregation follows. In the more hierarchical denominations in the North, it's not as easy to start a new church

Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM

9,547 posts, read 9,423,459 times
Despite the secularist nature of Quebec's government, does it subsidize the Catholic Church in some way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or