U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM
 
192 posts, read 202,234 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Personally I think the number is much higher than that. Closer to 35%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Reputation: 4880
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Personally I think the number is much higher than that. Closer to 35%.
Why do you think that? You can't just make up numbers based on how you feel when someone's done an actual survey and obtained proper data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Reputation: 6670
Yes, Canada is far less religious than the United States. It varies from part to part like most countries. Quebec and British Columbia are the least religious according to popular indicators of religiosity.

This is a bit old but informative: Divine Subjects: Canadians Believe, Britons Skeptical . According to the poll, 90% of Americans believe in God, while only 71% of Canadians do. 70% of Americans polled believed in the devil and in hell, while for Canadians the equivalent figures were 37% and 42%.

It seems that in the U.S., also, people tend to be more outspoken about such matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 PM
 
192 posts, read 202,234 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Why do you think that? You can't just make up numbers based on how you feel when someone's done an actual survey and obtained proper data.
Because polls on religion always under-estimate the number of non-religious people. I highly doubt that secular Turkey is 99.8% Muslim, 85% I could believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 PM
 
192 posts, read 202,234 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yes, Canada is far less religious than the United States. It varies from part to part like most countries. Quebec and British Columbia are the least religious according to popular indicators of religiosity.

This is a bit old but informative: Divine Subjects: Canadians Believe, Britons Skeptical . According to the poll, 90% of Americans believe in God, while only 71% of Canadians do. 70% of Americans polled believed in the devil and in hell, while for Canadians the equivalent figures were 37% and 42%.

It seems that in the U.S., also, people tend to be more outspoken about such matters.
I think the Canadian belief in God is probably more deistic and only Christian in name. Atheism definitely seems more popular in the UK than in Canada, I think Britons are more cynical as a whole than Canadians. Atheism and cynicism tend to go hand in hand, people who are both idealistic and nonreligious tend to sort of believe in a creator but not take things like angels, demons, Heaven and Hell seriously.

With that said Christianity definitely isn't dead in Canada. Northern Ontario and the Fraser Valley seem fairly religious to me, moreso than most of the Western United States I'd say. Christianity in Canada seems to be more humanistic though, like I would imagine it's probably less common for Canadian Christians to believe in damnation.

By the way, the 70% of Americans believing in the devil and hell. I'd say if you're talking only Americans under 50, the figure would drop to about 55-60%. People under 50 who live on the coasts, I'd say maybe only about 35% are really believers. I think within the next 30 years America will be more non-Christian than Christian the way things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,623 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Reputation: 76608
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
So that means America is 49% Protestant? Really, that's not a huge issue, it's still mostly Christian though I do think religiosity is starting to decline in America. People under 30 seem less likely to be faithful especially if they live in the Northeast or West.
I thought religiosity underwent a major death in the 60's. The rise of Eastern philosophies, astrology, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Reputation: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
I think the Canadian belief in God is probably more deistic and only Christian in name. Atheism definitely seems more popular in the UK than in Canada, I think Britons are more cynical as a whole than Canadians. Atheism and cynicism tend to go hand in hand, people who are both idealistic and nonreligious tend to sort of believe in a creator but not take things like angels, demons, Heaven and Hell seriously.

With that said Christianity definitely isn't dead in Canada. Northern Ontario and the Fraser Valley seem fairly religious to me, moreso than most of the Western United States I'd say. Christianity in Canada seems to be more humanistic though, like I would imagine it's probably less common for Canadian Christians to believe in damnation.

By the way, the 70% of Americans believing in the devil and hell. I'd say if you're talking only Americans under 50, the figure would drop to about 55-60%. People under 50 who live on the coasts, I'd say maybe only about 35% are really believers. I think within the next 30 years America will be more non-Christian than Christian the way things are going.
I once attended college with an older woman who was from British Columbia, the Fraser Valley I believe. The first class I had with her was Introduction to Theology, taught by a theologically very liberal woman. The lady - who was the oldest in the class and the only obviously non-traditional student - would argue with and often say things under her breath at the professor.

Although I said that Canada is less religious than the U.S., there are certainly individual exceptions, and seemingly a lot more of them than, say, in the U.K. Justin Bieber is one famous example, among others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Reputation: 4880
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
I think the Canadian belief in God is probably more deistic and only Christian in name. Atheism definitely seems more popular in the UK than in Canada, I think Britons are more cynical as a whole than Canadians. Atheism and cynicism tend to go hand in hand, people who are both idealistic and nonreligious tend to sort of believe in a creator but not take things like angels, demons, Heaven and Hell seriously.
Enh, I think that's something of an unfair stereotype propagated by religious people who don't really understand how Atheists think. In my life I haven't really seen any connection between being cynical and being an Atheist, some of the most passionate and idealistic people I know happen to also be Atheists. I just don't believe that one, although I would agree if you said there was a connection between being a skeptic and being an Atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,523 posts, read 9,407,481 times
Reputation: 6675
If Canadians tend to be moderate in their religiosity, are they also moderate in their irreligiosity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Reputation: 4880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If Canadians tend to be moderate in their religiosity, are they also moderate in their irreligiosity?
I'd say yes! That's actually something I've noticed as an Atheist, the community in the US seems (from afar) to have a much more vocal, militant, and proselytizing character to it. Atheists in Canada are kinda reserved about it and I don't really hear about Canadian Atheist organizations fighting all kinds of legal battles and trying to defend the irreligious position in the public sphere. I guess because religion is more private, people keep irreligion private to about the same degree. There's less to push back against and in an environment where religious matters arise less, it's less likely you'd find public or obvious cases of discrimination that would capture major attention and spark public engagement.

Also, fighting about religion where everyone can see would be most impolite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top