Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM

65 posts, read 185,244 times

Advertisements

Planning on taking a vacation in a few weeks to any of those cities or towns (Belleville, Tyendinaga, or Mohawk Territory) Well, what can you tell me about any of those cities or towns? Anything about the people, events, cheap hotels/motels, weather, restaurants, soo forth. I can take the good or the bad of those cities/towns. I've never been to Canada and wouldn't mind to know what Canadians are like. Anyways, what you can tell me will be very helpful...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM

380 posts, read 430,529 times
Belleville is just under two hours east of Toronto along Highway 401. It is nestled on the Bay of Quinte, which is an inland route for smaller marine traffic from Lake Ontario. I view it as bit of an ignored tourist destination. Most people I think are either bound for Toronto (if heading west) or heading for Kingston/1,000 Islands or Montreal and Ottawa (if heading east).

Bay of Quinte, Ontario – Belleville, Trenton and area

Here is a website with some general information about the area. I've always been a little biased to the 1,000 Islands myself because that's where my families' boat is.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I don't think you will have anything to worry about up there. Very nice area close to the 1000 Islands Region of Ontario and NY. People are generally nice and are laid back up there.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,132 times
There isn't much in Tyendenaga. There is a cool tourist shop called Native Renaissance that I used to stop in and visit on my way through from Napanee to Belleville. Their Pow Wow is pretty good. I think you'll find all the motels along Hwy 2 through that area to be about the same - very basic. Napanee has a nice park, Springside.
Bay of Quinte is a great little spot to take a boat out onto.
South of Napanee/Belleville is a great area called Prince Edward County, and the town of Picton is very nice.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think you will have anything to worry about up there. Very nice area close to the 1000 Islands Region of Ontario and NY. People are generally nice and are laid back up there.
I know I will have to do some research of the 1000 Islands Region later on today. Just curious, What is 1000 Islands region? Is that like a tourist attraction areas or just an name of some kind of Bar. To me, for some reason it sounds like a name of a bar in my home location in U.S.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
There isn't much in Tyendenaga. There is a cool tourist shop called Native Renaissance that I used to stop in and visit on my way through from Napanee to Belleville. Their Pow Wow is pretty good. I think you'll find all the motels along Hwy 2 through that area to be about the same - very basic. Napanee has a nice park, Springside.
Bay of Quinte is a great little spot to take a boat out onto.
South of Napanee/Belleville is a great area called Prince Edward County, and the town of Picton is very nice.
That's one of the events I like to go see, the Pow wow. I was reading about the pow wow a few days ago and seems like it will be fun there. There's actually is a few questions I want to ask about that, if you don't mind me asking.

1. According to the bay of quinte website, it says the 2nd weekend in August. I'm thinking the dates are 11th & 12th but, I just want to be sure that it is the correct dates.

2. How much does it cost to go walk around and watch the lively celebration at pow wow? Since, I'm from the U.S. I know I will have to do the currency exchange. You can tell me the canadian dollar amount.

3. What will I need to show at the pow wow? Like for an example... ID, passport, etc...

and the last question is - for the hotels/ motels stay, I've checked out a few locations and the prices are in Canadian money. Which, I know I will have to do the U.S currency to Canadian money when I get there but, the concern I'm having is...might be at the check in-out customer service desk. Will they ask for ID? If they see my ID and or passport and notice I'm from U.S. What will I need to know to make it easier for the customer service desk employee?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Your driver's license is usually what you show at a hotel. They won't care that you are from the US. that is quite common in that area.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:56 PM

I'm afraid it's been years since I've been to the Pow Wow so any info I give you would just be me Googling it on the internet. Try contacting them, you could try the Chief Administrative Officer: danb@mbq-tmt.org Wherever you go, your DL would be enough ID.
Yeah, Hwy 2 is used by people from the US all the time, the motels might even accept US cash. You could call and ask.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM

What motels would you say will be the best safer ones to stay at?

There's been times here in U.S. about some motels and hotels that employees will mess around in your personal belongings in the motel/hotel rooms and other local residents also will mess around your vehicle while it is parked outside. Some motels and hotels have signs outside saying "we are not responsible for damages to your personal vehicles" and other signs about precautions. So, I just want be in a safe area.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 AM

I don't think crime is a huge issue in that area, but I would guess that any motel along the main road might be exposed to that being easy to get away down the highway. Crime of convenience, as they say. I don't believe any hotel/motel will take responsibility for belongings stolen from a vehicle.
Honestly I do not know the hotels/motels there well as we stayed in one of the campgrounds. I have known people who stayed at the Fox motel in Napanee (which is across from Tammy's restaurant where we always went for breakfast), but again that was years ago, not sure what it's like now.
If you want larger hotels and chain restaurants, you would probably stay in Belleville. There is a shopping mall there (Quinte Mall), which is small but not bad. I see their RibFest is on the Aug 12 weekend, if that is when you'll be there. It's a fun night out, with food and music by the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada