U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

I don't really support a US-Canada monetary union, however, given the context of NAFTA, how come free labour movement between the US and Canada was never realized?

The two countries are next to each other, with similar language and cultural background and strong economic ties. Labour cost is comparable, unlike in the EU. I think it makes even more sense to adopt free labour movement policy than the EU, doesn't it? What prevents it from happening? I don't think it will disrupt the labour market in either country in any significant way.

There exists such treaty between UK and Ireland, Australia and New Zealand since a long time ago. As you can see from the forum, many American citizens are interested in working in Canada, and vice versa. It makes absolute sense and will only benefit both countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
No American wants free movement of labor. We already have enough problems as it is and high unemployment. It hasn't worked in the EU and it's very one-sided. NAFTA should never have been signed, IMO. Don't take what you read on forums as representative of 300 million people. The average person doesn't come on forums like these and ask any American on the street, not on the Internet, they will disagree with free movement of labor. If they did agree on it, it would have happened a long time ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
May I ask why? What negative consequence would follow?
I don't think it end bad for Australia/NZ.

The EU is different in to many ways and was a bad plan to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
May I ask why? What negative consequence would follow?
I don't think it end bad for Australia/NZ.

The EU is different in to many ways and was a bad plan to start with.
NZ has a very small population that is not "diverse". We already have millions of cheap immigrant, legal and illegal, labor here. We don't need anymore people flooding the US. We already have 12 million invading from Mexico. Plus, our politics are way too different whereas the politics of NZ and Australia are virtually the same. I don't think Canada is similar to the US at all. You guys have more in common with Oceania than us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
NZ has a very small population that is not "diverse". We already have millions of cheap immigrant, legal and illegal, labor here. We don't need anymore people flooding the US. We already have 12 million invading from Mexico. Plus, our politics are way too different whereas the politics of NZ and Australia are virtually the same. I don't think Canada is similar to the US at all. You guys have more in common with Oceania than us
Ok. You are objecting to it based on a "don't steal our job" point of view, instead of "it is bad for our economy" view. I guess you would prefer all immigrants gone (legal and illegal) so that your jobs will be safer.

With all due respect Sir, without cheap of labour from Mexico and cheap products from China, quality of life in America would have been a lot worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
 
18,283 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13350
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No American wants free movement of labor. We already have enough problems as it is and high unemployment. It hasn't worked in the EU and it's very one-sided. NAFTA should never have been signed, IMO. Don't take what you read on forums as representative of 300 million people. The average person doesn't come on forums like these and ask any American on the street, not on the Internet, they will disagree with free movement of labor. If they did agree on it, it would have happened a long time ago

The problem exists to the extent you allow service sector immigration either legal or otherwise. Those should not be the jobs negatively impacting your economy.

To say that your economy and unemplyment are suffering due to your glut of car washers, fruit pickers, pool cleaners, ditch diggers and gypsy roofers is admitting failure of a kind in any case.

Both Canada and the U.S. have rules in place to protect existing jobs now to the extent prospective emplyers must show cause for "needing" to hire from each other through failure to find those skills within the current labour pool.

Canada has had rules existing for years for the movement of labour between Quebec and Ontario due to the Quebcois fears of jobs being taken by Ontarians and thusly imposing rules of compliance with Ontario later doing the same thing to the building trades in a retaliatory move as a "poke in the eye" response.

I hardly think "free and easy" movement of labour between the two countries would be viewed upon as desirable from either's perspective as enough of it happens now with foreign firms such as oil field contractors already bringing with them their employees in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ok. You are objecting to it based on a "don't steal our job" point of view, instead of "it is bad for our economy" view. I guess you would prefer all immigrants gone (legal and illegal) so that your jobs will be safer.

With all due respect Sir, without cheap of labour from Mexico and cheap products from China, quality of life in America would have been a lot worse.
It wouldn't be much different. We were fine the way we were before. That myth that Chinese and Mexicans workers keep our prices low is just that, a myth. The only thing it has done is increase the corporations' profit margins, nothing more. They have never kept prices low. I can buy a Hyundai car built in the U.S. for $20,000 or I can buy a Honda made in Japan for about the same price. It was never about reducing prices. What company in their right mind would reduce prices just because they found cheaper labor? I wouldn't if I was the CEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The problem exists to the extent you allow service sector immigration either legal or otherwise. Those should not be the jobs negatively impacting your economy.

To say that your economy and unemplyment are suffering due to your glut of car washers, fruit pickers, pool cleaners, ditch diggers and gypsy roofers is admitting failure of a kind in any case.

Both Canada and the U.S. have rules in place to protect existing jobs now to the extent prospective emplyers must show cause for "needing" to hire from each other through failure to find those skills within the current labour pool.

Canada has had rules existing for years for the movement of labour between Quebec and Ontario due to the Quebcois fears of jobs being taken by Ontarians and thusly imposing rules of compliance with Ontario later doing the same thing to the building trades in a retaliatory move as a "poke in the eye" response.

I hardly think "free and easy" movement of labour between the two countries would be viewed upon as desirable from either's perspective as enough of it happens now with foreign firms such as oil field contractors already bringing with them their employees in numbers.
Yes, and those rules need to stay in place. No one on either side of the border wants free movement of labor, much less integration of the two countries. We can argue over the specifics, but I seriously doubt most Canadians would want to be integrated into the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,595 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Reputation: 10308
The biggest issue is that NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement, not the Canada/US Agreement. If it were just Canada/US, short of tax issues, there would likely be freer movement. See TN visas. However NAFTA also includes Mexico, and you're smoking something if you think the US would allow unbridled movement with their southern trading partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,446 posts, read 23,964,641 times
Reputation: 7277
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't really support a US-Canada monetary union, however, given the context of NAFTA, how come free labour movement between the US and Canada was never realized?

The two countries are next to each other, with similar language and cultural background and strong economic ties. Labour cost is comparable, unlike in the EU. I think it makes even more sense to adopt free labour movement policy than the EU, doesn't it? What prevents it from happening? I don't think it will disrupt the labour market in either country in any significant way.

There exists such treaty between UK and Ireland, Australia and New Zealand since a long time ago. As you can see from the forum, many American citizens are interested in working in Canada, and vice versa. It makes absolute sense and will only benefit both countries.
I'm 100 percent for free labor migration between the US and Canada (and the other countries mentioned). It would give Americans more options that they don't have now and would also make life easier for Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,033,980 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm 100 percent for free labor migration between the US and Canada (and the other countries mentioned). It would give Americans more options that they don't have now and would also make life easier for Canadians.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top