U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,460,608 times

Advertisements

Canadian news media is basically second-rate journalism, if you want to compare it to other world news gathering agencies. Having stated that much, compared to the US, I think even our cable offerings concentrate more on hard news and less on infotainment, like cable US news. I still have some respect for national network news in the US, they seem to take the same approach as we do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

34,401 posts, read 41,509,339 times
I find Main stream media in the USA besides being so obviously politically bias is quite one dimensional in its topics,its basically politics,politics,politics, it seems the nation is so obsessed with its attention to political content that its almost not news any more but a daily soap opera on the goings on in the nations political forum,becomes extremely redundant and boring after a while.I usually stick to BBC,CBC, and Al Jezeera to see whats happening in the world outside of Washington.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM

218 posts, read 445,188 times
Few nations have people that are so dumb/brainwashed that they can watch news network that don't deliver news but opinions. The US is one of them.
Fox News is the #1 cable news network in the US.
You have to be either severely mentally retarded or exceptionally delusional to believe a single thing they say.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Sun news in Canada is a clone of Rupert Murdoch's (the guy who behind Fox) Sun network in the UK. It's just an attempt to expand the influence of this group into a new market, and it makes me distrutful. While I think Canadian news is still okay, especially the CBC which I find fairly neutral most of the time, I'm very concerned about the consolidation of ownership of our media. Guys like Conrad Black started buying all the newspapers and now only a few companies own all the media. I think it's a dangerous situation which could turn out badly for us because they could slowly change the norms the way it happened in the US, but so far the media has remained more or less intact. Also, I've noticed troubling propagnda in our networks that serve certain foreign interests and that is disturbing to. But that's been going on since the Bosnian war, and might come out of journalistic laziness and borrowing from other news sources. Aljazeera, BBC, and CBC seem about as high quality as I can find, and even they have their biases I freely admit, but at least they don't straight up lie.

I think the main difference between US and Canadian media is tone, and the fact that Canadian media's still remains neutral enough that bias isn't blindingly obvious.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Few nations have people that are so dumb/brainwashed that they can watch news network that don't deliver news but opinions. The US is one of them.
Fox News is the #1 cable news network in the US.
You have to be either severely mentally retarded or exceptionally delusional to believe a single thing they say.
Right, only MSNBC gives out true information. Duly noted. Personally, I prefer alternative media. You guys can wrestle over your "teams".

Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Right, only MSNBC gives out true information. Duly noted. Personally, I prefer alternative media. You guys can wrestle over your "teams".
I don`t think the guy said anything about MSNBC, which isn`t great either. But Fox is outrageous, those people regularly lie about things! I know you weren't refering to me, but I enjoy reading the National Post for it's right wing opinion pieces so as to get that important perspective. Fox News, on the other hand, doesn't offend me because it's conservative, but because it claims to be a news program one can trust and then it violates that trust by reporting objectively untrue things to forward it's own agenda. That's not right, it violates the public trust in media, which is supposed to act as a pillar of the democratic system. As such, I think it's totally acceptable to criticize them without it implying a partisan bias.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,575,204 times
Quote:
In other words, the Canadian media is the same as the US media. Personally, I think the Canadian media just hides it better whereas in the US it's more in your face and obvious.
The Canadian media is .00000001% as biased as the media in the USA. But like the USA the right wing here are a bunch a crybabies playing their poor me I'm a victim of the big bad left wing media card.
Because in order to survive the right depends on misinformation, distortions and downright lying, any media that reports the plain truth will be labeled as "left wing" by them. The CBC is not in any way left wing. Because it reports on how our environment is being ruined, how the government is getting rid of regulations, how consummers are being ripped off, how the government disrespects democracy and on and on and on in that vein they are called left wing by the cry baby right wingers. Because they do their freakin job as journalists they are "Leftists"???????????????
What a load of complete and total *****.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM

218 posts, read 445,188 times
Quote:
MSNBC doesn't claim to be neutral. You can't compare "Lean Left" with "Fair and Balanced."
MSNBC is trying, but no one can outFox Fox.
I can't think of any other news channel that is so blatantly biased and yet claims to be, again, "Fair and Balanced."

Old 06-16-2012, 01:57 PM

34,401 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
I do give MSNBC credit for having many Republicans on their shows to speak for the rightwing perspective even though all their show hosts are Liberal.I dont get Fox here in Montreal but when i do tune in when i'm on vacation i dont see too many liberals on their shows.
As for here in Canada? we dont have anything to compare to Fox or MSNBC.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,034,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The Canadian media is .00000001% as biased as the media in the USA. But like the USA the right wing here are a bunch a crybabies playing their poor me I'm a victim of the big bad left wing media card.
Because in order to survive the right depends on misinformation, distortions and downright lying, any media that reports the plain truth will be labeled as "left wing" by them. The CBC is not in any way left wing. Because it reports on how our environment is being ruined, how the government is getting rid of regulations, how consummers are being ripped off, how the government disrespects democracy and on and on and on in that vein they are called left wing by the cry baby right wingers. Because they do their freakin job as journalists they are "Leftists"???????????????
What a load of complete and total *****.
The CBC earned its stripes/badges/medals as a left-wing organization without any help from those on the right. The CBC has had a left-wing bias for as long as I can remember. I enjoy some of the CBC's news programming, but I do so always keeping in mind that a fair amount of left-wing bias, prejudice, and spin informs the way that some of its journalists and its anchors present things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or