U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,575,204 times
Reputation: 8913

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
The CBC earned its stripes/badges/medals as a left-wing organization without any help from those on the right. The CBC has had a left-wing bias for as long as I can remember. I enjoy some of the CBC's news programming, but I do so always keeping in mind that a fair amount of left-wing bias, prejudice, and spin informs the way that some of its journalists and its anchors present things.
That is pure unadulterated BS.If the CBC was biased towartds the left then they would obviously support the NDP. Well, they don't, haven't ever and never will. I stick by my earlier comment. If you care about anything other than outright support of business then you are WRONGLY called "left wing". If you are progressive then the same thing. It's just complete stupidity and crap.

The fact of the matter is that the right is REGRESSIVE in all it's ways. Therefore because their vision is so narrow and so proscribed, anything at all that falls outside of their very limited understanding is a threat and what's the biggest threat to a rightwinger???? Well of course it's the left and socialism. What the idiots fail to understand that social progress does not equal socialism by any understanding of the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Mississippi Delta!
469 posts, read 602,872 times
Reputation: 268
I wonder how the Canadian news media has been covering the case of this woman:

Crown ends bid to keep anti-abortion activist Linda Gibbons jailed for one count, but may remain behind bars for another | Holy Post | National Post

CKB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM
 
18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Reputation: 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
MSNBC doesn't claim to be neutral. You can't compare "Lean Left" with "Fair and Balanced."
MSNBC is trying, but no one can outFox Fox.
I can't think of any other news channel that is so blatantly biased and yet claims to be, again, "Fair and Balanced."
While we're on that topic; whassup with the blond bimbo piece of fluff with the too short skirt sitting between the two talking heads that continually offer their "opinion" peppered with sarcasm and outright scorn? Do people below the 49th actually think what these clones are doing is reportage?

Someone should tell that poor vacuous dear that to sit with her legs crossed like that for years and years is almost a guarantee of varicose veins.

You'd get a better grasp of current events without bias by going to your local barber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Reputation: 4893
Ask and ye shall receive.

Supreme Court rejects anti-abortion protester's appeal - Canada - CBC News

Play Ball - Abortion Protester - Joyce Carol Oates | The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright | CBC Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,654,543 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is pure unadulterated BS.If the CBC was biased towartds the left then they would obviously support the NDP. Well, they don't, haven't ever and never will. I stick by my earlier comment. If you care about anything other than outright support of business then you are WRONGLY called "left wing". If you are progressive then the same thing. It's just complete stupidity and crap.

The fact of the matter is that the right is REGRESSIVE in all it's ways. Therefore because their vision is so narrow and so proscribed, anything at all that falls outside of their very limited understanding is a threat and what's the biggest threat to a rightwinger???? Well of course it's the left and socialism. What the idiots fail to understand that social progress does not equal socialism by any understanding of the term.
You should probably calm down. Besides, you're wrong on pretty well all counts in that post.

I find the CBC to be the most left wing of our major outlets. Political opinion pieces tend to be (with the exception of Rex Murphy) highly in favour of interventionist governmental policy and tax and spend economic systems, generally. When discussing more controversial political issues, they have, in the past, run with some pretty hysterical nonsense stories (NRA involvement in Canadian politics, Heather Mallick's piece on the American Republican leadership). They're significantly better in regards to international coverage, as they tend to provide a more sober picture, regardless of bias.

While it's a little off topic, you're also way off the mark in regards to a lot of conservatives. Personally, I'm in favour of most liberal social policy, however, I don't think the government intervention has delivered nearly the results that were promised. It seems foolish to throw good money after bad, rather than taking a pragmatic or innovative approach to problems. Of course, what the idiots fail to understand is that right wing doesn't necessarily equate to socially regressive by any understanding of the term.

Also, the Liberals are center-left and are generally the favoured party of the CBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Mississippi Delta!
469 posts, read 602,872 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post

What sort of media slant, if any, has been applied to Ms. Gibbons' situation? Has the media treated her as a woman who has a civil right to do what she does or as some religious fanatic who should be stopped because she's a threat to Canada's "progressive" sensibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,034,313 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is pure unadulterated BS.If the CBC was biased towartds the left then they would obviously support the NDP. Well, they don't, haven't ever and never will. I stick by my earlier comment. If you care about anything other than outright support of business then you are WRONGLY called "left wing". If you are progressive then the same thing. It's just complete stupidity and crap.

The fact of the matter is that the right is REGRESSIVE in all it's ways. Therefore because their vision is so narrow and so proscribed, anything at all that falls outside of their very limited understanding is a threat and what's the biggest threat to a rightwinger???? Well of course it's the left and socialism. What the idiots fail to understand that social progress does not equal socialism by any understanding of the term.
They DO support the NDP, just as they supported the left-wing Trudeau Liberals. I used to watch federal election coverage on the CBC with great amusement as the anchors and the journalists would become breathless while they discussed NDP results, gushing over the party like it was going to take power. They also tended to do this when covering provincial election results in provinces where the NDP had never held power and it wasn't likely to do so for some time, if ever. It was hilarious.

You're equally strident as those you would pretend to deride. If you want to know what an exaggerated partisan looks like, then I suggest that you go stand in front of a mirror. Limited understanding?!? That's hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,034,313 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
What sort of media slant, if any, has been applied to Ms. Gibbons' situation? Has the media treated her as a woman who has a civil right to do what she does or as some religious fanatic who should be stopped because she's a threat to Canada's "progressive" sensibilities?
Most Canadians on either end of the spectrum and all points in between no longer get worked up over abortion. That battle has been fought and decided in the eyes of most. Religion and religious beliefs don't inform political debate and discussion in Canada to anywhere near the extent that they do in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,654,543 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Most Canadians on either end of the spectrum and all points in between no longer get worked up over abortion. That battle has been fought and decided in the eyes of most. Religion and religious beliefs don't inform political debate and discussion in Canada to anywhere near the extent that they do in the United States.
That's probably the biggest difference - Our media outlets certainly have their own biases, but we, as a country, don't generally get worked up about or bother with those social issues that seem to always be a major theme in US politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
 
18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Reputation: 13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
That's probably the biggest difference - Our media outlets certainly have their own biases, but we, as a country, don't generally get worked up about or bother with those social issues that seem to always be a major theme in US politics.

This.

The Canadian media outlets are more than aware that to take an overtly partisan approach to any issue of political importance in Canada would be done at the risk of derision from a wide spectrum of Canadian citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top