U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,653,385 times
Reputation: 974

Advertisements

[quote=Chris Balducci;24803017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post


Actually, I asked the question about the Montreal protestors being conservative, as it seemed a possibility from Lucknow's definition of "conservatism".

I am no longer posting on this forum, for reasons stated on another post.
I knew where you were going with it, I just found it funny that it looked like my name was at the top of it, rather than Lucknow's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
Reputation: 8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Even if we take this mangled take on politics as correct, you've still failed to make your argument. All you've done is shift your partisan hatred onto a somewhat smaller group of people. Also, if you're trying to make an argument about being non-partisan, try to avoid calling your political opponents names in the next paragraph.

Not only that, you've managed to argue yourself out of a point in the second paragraph. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong on any particular issue - at least in regards to this discussion. What matters is that you've identified that the CBC's stance on issues is at odds with your identified "right wing" (the people you really hate).

To sum this all up: The CBC have taken a stance that you agree with. You're convinced that you (and they) are right, and that others are wrong. Therefore, both you and it, are partisan. I'm not sure why you've got so worked up about that.
You logic is illogical. If I were to say that I dislike Nazis or Communists in your mind that makes me partisan. That is a pretty strange definition of the word as used in a today's political context. If yu are partisan then the side you support can do no wrong. You will support them even if they are completely, utterly and unmistakenly WRONG. I personally do not support any politician or party if I percieve them to be making a mistake. I don't care if it's the libs, cons or the NDP. At this point in time it does not matter a whit if the libs or the NDP are wrong. If you didn't know this, THEY ARE NOT THE FREAKIN GOVERNMENT. The CONS are and they are doing a horrible awful and unacceptable job on just about every single file they handle. You only need half a brain to observe how they have almost total contempt for parliament and the Canadian people. They have had their mandate for only a year and already they have been caught lying, cheating, misrepresenting, perverting elections and more or less acting a lot like American politicians who I detest.

If you think that's partisan then too bad. I'll tell you who I'm partisan for, I'm a Canadian partisan. I like our country and it's political traditions, I like my freedom, I like the inclusivness of the Canadian identity and I don't like these azzhats that are attempting to undo everything I like about the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
Reputation: 8908
[quote=lucknow;24792445]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post


That's an pretty vitriolic rant. For a non-partisan, you hold awfully strong political views.[/quote

You notice I don't say "Conservative". There is a world of difference between the right and a conservative. A conservative can represent everyone all across the socio economic spectrum. Not so the RIGHT. The right only represents the top 1% or so and that is absolutely clear both historically and in the present day attempts to crush workers, claw back on social programmes, etc.
It's because of this 1% reresentation that the left has to lie 100% of the time. 99% of the people are just not going to vote against their own interests if they know the real and true agenda. This is an issue far more in the USA than in Canada. We really don't have much of a hard right here in this country although the Harper government sometimes and too many times uses the tactics of the GOP. I think this rubs most Canadians the wrong way and when this governments term is up I'm thinking their time in power will also be up. Now, to the supposed bias of the CBC. Those on the right will try to have us believe that calling a spade a a spade is partisan. It's nothing but pure BS and I get so tired at hearing these crybabies moaning and complaining about their put upon staus.

Correction to this post. "THE RIGHT HAS TO LIE 100% OF THE TIME".

That was just such a BAD typo on my part.
SO SORRY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Reputation: 8193
Well, here's what I think - I tend to agree with the poster who asserted that as a national news organization, the CBC bends over backward trying to represent all Canadians - and if one happens to be one of those who disagree with the story being presented, then that person will see the CBC as pro one side or the other. I'm not sure it is possible for any news reported by humans to be completely free of bias - there is always a way of slanting a story if you really sympathize with one person over another, but I don't believe there is an intentional bias, and I don't find the CBC, or the news in general in Canada, to be particularly anything.

I think lucknow made a good point about the difference between traditional conservatives, and the new right-wing, which is, in my opinion, quite a different thing. I liked the old conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,653,385 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You logic is illogical. If I were to say that I dislike Nazis or Communists in your mind that makes me partisan. That is a pretty strange definition of the word as used in a today's political context. If yu are partisan then the side you support can do no wrong. You will support them even if they are completely, utterly and unmistakenly WRONG. I personally do not support any politician or party if I percieve them to be making a mistake. I don't care if it's the libs, cons or the NDP. At this point in time it does not matter a whit if the libs or the NDP are wrong. If you didn't know this, THEY ARE NOT THE FREAKIN GOVERNMENT. The CONS are and they are doing a horrible awful and unacceptable job on just about every single file they handle. You only need half a brain to observe how they have almost total contempt for parliament and the Canadian people. They have had their mandate for only a year and already they have been caught lying, cheating, misrepresenting, perverting elections and more or less acting a lot like American politicians who I detest.

If you think that's partisan then too bad. I'll tell you who I'm partisan for, I'm a Canadian partisan. I like our country and it's political traditions, I like my freedom, I like the inclusivness of the Canadian identity and I don't like these azzhats that are attempting to undo everything I like about the country.
par·ti·san/ˈpärtəzən/
Noun:
A strong supporter of a party, cause, or person.
Adjective:
Prejudiced in favor of a particular cause.

You are the very definition of a partisan, even if you think the definition strange. You've managed practically derail a thread, turning it into some sort of pro-progressive, anti far-right soapbox. I would go out on a limb and call you a strong supporter of that cause.

And that kind of leads back into my main point. You're fervently anti right-wing. You agree with what the CBC says. In the context of this thread, nobody cares who's right (I'll re-iterate that: This thread was never intended to be a commentary on the actual politics of the country, rather an observation of where media outlets stand on them). the whole point was to establish where different outlets stand, regardless of anything else. But, since you and the CBC share a viewpoint, that would also make it at least somewhat partisan.

Also, just a word of advice - don't use your "I'm not partisan" post to rant about what a bad job a particular political party is doing. It comes off as a little partisan, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 AM
 
218 posts, read 444,937 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
par·ti·san/ˈpärtəzən/
Noun:
A strong supporter of a party, cause, or person.
Adjective:
Prejudiced in favor of a particular cause.

You are the very definition of a partisan, even if you think the definition strange. You've managed practically derail a thread, turning it into some sort of pro-progressive, anti far-right soapbox. I would go out on a limb and call you a strong supporter of that cause.

And that kind of leads back into my main point. You're fervently anti right-wing. You agree with what the CBC says. In the context of this thread, nobody cares who's right (I'll re-iterate that: This thread was never intended to be a commentary on the actual politics of the country, rather an observation of where media outlets stand on them). the whole point was to establish where different outlets stand, regardless of anything else. But, since you and the CBC share a viewpoint, that would also make it at least somewhat partisan.

Also, just a word of advice - don't use your "I'm not partisan" post to rant about what a bad job a particular political party is doing. It comes off as a little partisan, you know?
The definition doesn't say: "A strong opponent of a party, cause, or person."
It seems like you consider everyone who isn't apathetic or equally supportive of all parties "partisan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,653,385 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
The definition doesn't say: "A strong opponent of a party, cause, or person."
It seems like you consider everyone who isn't apathetic or equally supportive of all parties "partisan."
If you're a strong opponent of something, that generally means your a strong proponent of the opposite, does it not? Or, do you think people really, really hate things, but not care actually care about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top