Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM

468 posts, read 785,652 times

Advertisements

Is Pierre Trudeau primarily responsible for the "liberaltarian" (liberal welfare state, culturally libertarian) ethos that makes up modern Canada's identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Please, God, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Yes. We are most definitely living in Trudeau's Canada. For the reasons cited by the OP, and also many other things like the Charter of Rights, immigration, multiculturalism, bilingualism, etc.

For better or for worse.

What Trudeau did was he took a bunch of ideas which were until then largely the domain of select élites (mostly in Montreal, but also from other parts of the country) and implemented them (some would say foisted or forced upon) across the entire country.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What Trudeau did was he took a bunch of ideas which were until then largely the domain of select élites (mostly in Montreal, but also from other parts of the country) and implemented them (some would say foisted or forced upon) across the entire country.
Trudeau took Quebec's "Quiet Revolution" and made it national.
He was a softie for Marxists. Witness his close relationship with Fidel Castro.
Yes, the United States propped up right-wing dictatorships, but I don't think any of our presidents were close friends with them.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Not all of it, but good-sized chunks of it.

He also sought inspiration in other parts of the country and around the world as well, though yes, his greatest source was the chattering classes of Montreal.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:

Is Pierre Trudeau primarily responsible for the "liberaltarian" (liberal welfare state, culturally libertarian) ethos that makes up modern Canada's identity?
Okay, I am going to be totally honest with you here so please bear with me and help me out by explaining it to me. This is something I'm ignorant about and I haven't got the foggiest idea of what you're talking about. I don't know what that is or what it means and I'm wondering if you're just catching me off guard by using some kind of pseudo-intellectual buzz words that are popular with people south of the border rather than here in Canada.

This "liberaltarian" (liberal welfare state, culturally libertarian) ethos. Seriously, I don't know what any of that means and I wasn't aware that "it" makes up modern Canada's identity, let alone that a single other person might be responsible for it (whatever "it" is).

So please educate me from your personal point of view so I don't have to do an internet search that will only give me a bunch of conflicting and contraditory definitions. I would appreciate a full definition of the words "liberaltarian ethos". I would like an explanation of what a liberal welfare state is because I sure didn't know that Canada was ANY kind of welfare state at all, liberal or otherwise, and I would like to know what "culturally libertarian" means.

Please and thank you very much.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM

"Liberaltarian" is a buzzword resulting from the combination of "liberal" and "libertarian". "Liberal" in the sense of supporting higher taxes to fund government health and welfare programs, pushing for legal abortion and non-traditional marriage). "Libertarian" in the sense of being cool with "alternative" lifestyles (homosexuality, use of drugs, prostitution, etc.)
In other words, the opposite of what social conservatives in America would like.
"Ethos" is a Greek word meaning "character". I hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Quote:
He was a softie for Marxists. Witness his close relationship with Fidel Castro.
Yes, the United States propped up right-wing dictatorships, but I don't think any of our presidents were close friends with them.
Except Marcos, and Pinochet, and Noriega, and...

Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
Quote:
Partially. I think he was more the manifestation of the ideas that already existed in the population, not the cause of those ideas. The epicentre of this was Quebec and the quiet revolution, I think. The influence of the powerful Anglo Quebecker elite and diaspora really helped export these values to other provinces, especially Ontario, but if you look at Britain these ideas and tendancies probably always existed, as evidenced by the long tradition of Red Tories in Canada, especially the West. Our health care system had its roots not in the ivory towers of Montreal, but in the collectivist tendancies of farmers in Saskatchewan and depression era union types whose struggles culminated in the Winnipeg General Strike. My own thoughts are that the liberalism was always a big part the way the country thought, but the social libertarianism really grew up out of Quebec, in Canada, but we also shouldn't discount the influence of progressive thinkers from abroad.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM

I thought Quebec's Anglophone elite were a target, not the supporters, of Quebec's Quiet Revolution.
It is ironic that at one time Quebec was once Canada's most conservative province, very agrarian and Catholic.
Now the churches are largely empty, if not shuttered.

Last edited by Chris Balducci; 04-03-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada