Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,171,640 times

Advertisements

Canada is often thought of as a 'nation of regions', for example, Newfies are Newfies first and Canadians second, Quebecers are obviously Quebecois first, Albertans are Albertans first and Canadians second, BCers are very into being from BC, really Ontario and perhaps Saskatchewan and Manitoba and the Maritimes are the only provinces that really seem to identify as being Canadian first and foremost.

On the other hand America is quite the same way. Southerners often identify as Southerners first before they are Americans, New Englanders as New Englanders, Northwesterners as Northwesterners, it seems like the only regions that identify primarily as Americans first are the Midwest and maybe the Rockies and California.

Which country would you say is more culturally cohesive as a singular entity, Canada or the States? Is there more similarity between say, Seattle and Tampa or between Whitehorse and Halifax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 AM

395 posts, read 857,084 times
First off don't say newfies, unless you are one. Second I really don't think american's are near as devided as americans. For one thing the states with the exception of the pacific north west, isn't nearly as spread out as a canada. There are huge gaps in this country, that divide people. The states as large as it is, is continious. There is the south and than there are regions that have traits of both the north and the south, the same with texas being western and southern at the same time. In canada there are very few inbetweens most either are or there not.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 AM

1,328 posts, read 3,171,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
First off don't say newfies, unless you are one. Second I really don't think american's are near as devided as americans. For one thing the states with the exception of the pacific north west, isn't nearly as spread out as a canada. There are huge gaps in this country, that divide people. The states as large as it is, is continious. There is the south and than there are regions that have traits of both the north and the south, the same with texas being western and southern at the same time. In canada there are very few inbetweens most either are or there not.
That's a good point. But I would also say that because Canada has a smaller population, Toronto would be more relevant to the everyday life of a person in Vancouver than New York City would be to someone in Seattle, don't you agree?

I think the fact there are fewer Canadians compared to Americans would sort of mean it counts more as a thing in common in a way. Like for example, I could care less if a band from Florida makes it big, but if a band from Calgary makes it big, someone in St. Catharines might get kinda excited because they are a fellow Canadian. Or am I totally wrong?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:51 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,259,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
That's a good point. But I would also say that because Canada has a smaller population, Toronto would be more relevant to the everyday life of a person in Vancouver than New York City would be to someone in Seattle, don't you agree?

I think the fact there are fewer Canadians compared to Americans would sort of mean it counts more as a thing in common in a way. Like for example, I could care less if a band from Florida makes it big, but if a band from Calgary makes it big, someone in St. Catharines might get kinda excited because they are a fellow Canadian. Or am I totally wrong?
I'm not sure Toronto is "relevant" to someone in Vancouver but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I do agree with the bolded - Canada often seems like a small town in which one is almost bound to know someone who knows someone who knows you. I do think there there is a national cheerleading/pride when a Canadian makes it big.

But Toronto.... I'm not sure what Toronto thinks.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 AM

395 posts, read 857,084 times
Quote:

Meh it's relatively true, but only relative to it's population, nothing to do with the culture, actual geography or distribution of canada itself.

It rare for a canadian band to make it big, if in the states a soccer player made it huge in europe you would have the same national pride, just the same no one cares that Sid crosby is from canada except those from the east.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,222,824 times
Quote:

Well besides the Federal Govronmewnt being in our Capatial of Ottawa where their choices and decisons made in Parliament effect whole nation..I would say Vancouver has much more in Common and is closer With Seattle than Toronto by far.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM

26,799 posts, read 37,813,118 times
I would say that except for the situation with Quebec, the types of regional issues in Canada are pretty common to most countries, especially large ones. The Quebec issue doesn't have any comparison in the States really.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 AM

374 posts, read 810,234 times
I think Canada is more unified. There is less racial diversity, for one. Also, the provinces of Canada never had a civil war against each other that killed more than half a million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada