U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 PM

396 posts, read 729,648 times

Advertisements

Alright I guess this question can go either direction for you. I grew up in a small town(less than 10k people) and I thought it was a good place to live. Never had any problems with it's size or remoteness. Now as an adult I notice my home is just too small to live in. When I first moved to st john's I liked it but found it just too dam big, wanted to move to somewhere much smaller. Now I'm pretty much fed up with st john's but feel like most smaller places are horrible for me there's no jobs and most young people have no interest in there careers.

There are only about 20-30 places that are st john's sized or bigger, but many seem to far away or just too boring. So long story short I feel like there is no where I belong, I feel like I'm trapped in some trick of geography, there are far too few option in this country and I can't just explain how strange it feels. I feel like I've woken up in a foreign country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
You are definitely right about it being far away, maybe its time to make a move..

Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
What's stopping you from moving wherever it is you THINK you might be happier?

Nice thing about it being Canada is you've got the ability and the freedom to move wherever the hell you want to with the only things holding you back being your own, self imposed, restrictions.

There are opportunities in abundance across this nation and until you test that theory you cannot say they don't exist.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What's stopping you from moving wherever it is you THINK you might be happier?

Nice thing about it being Canada is you've got the ability and the freedom to move wherever the hell you want to with the only things holding you back being your own, self imposed, restrictions.

There are opportunities in abundance across this nation and until you test that theory you cannot say they don't exist.
I'm hoping to be moving in january. Just not sure where seems like there's no logical place to go, I'm planning to goto toronto simply because I know people there.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 PM

65 posts, read 161,470 times
Well, what are you looking for? Somewhere...tropical, country-side, are you a city person, are you a beach person, etc... We all probably ask ourselfs the same thing sometimes or everyday. I never heard of St. Johns before so, don't know what's around your area. I can't accommodate for others. Where are you planning to move to? I'm from U.S. and can tell you alot of areas in my country. However, market housing isn't that good here but, you can still find alot of houses that can suit you. Like BruSan said, there are opportunities in abundance across the nation. I might possibly move to Canada, one of these years. Honestly, I love the snow and colder weather. Anyways, choose your destiny.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
I never heard of St. Johns before so, don't know what's around your area.
If you look at the extreme right of this pic you'll see St Johns Newfoundland, I can see Miqmaq's point its small and isolated and could definitely become very boring place if you have to spend many years there..

Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 AM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Uuuuh; I don't see the stagnation or limitations mentioned.

St.John's is one of the most thriving cities in Canada right now with a very robust and full culture. Opportunities are plentiful with much going on in Newfoundland at this moment and more to come in the very near future that will place St.John's in the springboard position of support for any of these new endeavours.

Perhaps, and I'm only opining here, that the poster is simply bored and wants change. The conundrum presented with that is, you very quickly discover the grass isn't always greener or more plentiful elsewhere. Change for change's sake isn't always a promise fulfilled.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuuh; I don't see the stagnation or limitations mentioned.

St.John's is one of the most thriving cities in Canada right now with a very robust and full culture. Opportunities are plentiful with much going on in Newfoundland at this moment and more to come in the very near future that will place St.John's in the springboard position of support for any of these new endeavours.

Perhaps, and I'm only opining here, that the poster is simply bored and wants change. The conundrum presented with that is, you very quickly discover the grass isn't always greener or more plentiful elsewhere. Change for change's sake isn't always a promise fulfilled.
Meh you might wanna try living here.

Don't get me wrong I get what your saying, and I know there's no where perfect, and yet there are still a few problems here that are getting quite annoying. The weather is horrible, and when I say that I don't mean the temperature, I mean the FOG!, I'm from newfoundland, and my home never has anywhere near as much of this crap, it's just depressing and quite annoying. I generally don't like complaining about the weather but being wet all winter, and depressed all spring isn't my cup of tea. I love the cold, and the heat, st john's is just dreary all year long, except for six weeks of the summer when it's just too dam hot(poor housing means houses are heat traps).

People here drink too much, smoke, and eat to much, and are too focused on one night stands. Not to mention a large part of the young population are oblivious to the rest of the world, and rather compare themselves to small fishing villages than places like saint john, or halifax. Again this is everywhere in the world, but it just seems hard to escape it here. There's no class distinction the rich kids and the poor kids all fall on this classless culture, although it's good in many ways.

The housing market is turning into a bubble, which mean planning to stay here isn't really a great idea. Add to that the poor public transit in the city/and wet weather, it's hard to think living here long term will be part of my life.

I wanna move to a place like home just a good bit bigger, but there don't seem many places like that in canada, I don't wanna move out west, quebec is a no go zone, and the maritimes lack a place much better than st john's.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Meh you might wanna try living here.

Don't get me wrong I get what your saying, and I know there's no where perfect, and yet there are still a few problems here that are getting quite annoying. The weather is horrible, and when I say that I don't mean the temperature, I mean the FOG!, I'm from newfoundland, and my home never has anywhere near as much of this crap, it's just depressing and quite annoying. I generally don't like complaining about the weather but being wet all winter, and depressed all spring isn't my cup of tea. I love the cold, and the heat, st john's is just dreary all year long, except for six weeks of the summer when it's just too dam hot(poor housing means houses are heat traps).

People here drink too much, smoke, and eat to much, and are too focused on one night stands. Not to mention a large part of the young population are oblivious to the rest of the world, and rather compare themselves to small fishing villages than places like saint john, or halifax. Again this is everywhere in the world, but it just seems hard to escape it here. There's no class distinction the rich kids and the poor kids all fall on this classless culture, although it's good in many ways.

The housing market is turning into a bubble, which mean planning to stay here isn't really a great idea. Add to that the poor public transit in the city/and wet weather, it's hard to think living here long term will be part of my life.

I wanna move to a place like home just a good bit bigger, but there don't seem many places like that in canada, I don't wanna move out west, quebec is a no go zone, and the maritimes lack a place much better than st john's.
Toronto will suit you to a T.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Toronto will suit you to a T.
Lol I think it is, but I think it's a bit big, I'd like to live in a place with about 50 k people. St john's I find is unnecessarily large, and any place with 10k people is just small. My main complaints are the size, the excessively liberal culture, the weather, and the housing/transit issue. The weather comes down to anywhere but here, the housing and transit I think are problems of size, and the liberal culture itself isn't the problem it's the lack of alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or