U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,108,941 times

Advertisements

Have you lived in Kelowna and area? What did you like dislike etc.? Any experiences you can share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 48,924 times
I've never been there but I know a little about this city.
It's located in Okanagan Valley BC, it's not very sunny.. warmer than most parts of Canada though. K, not warmer.. just not as cold :P
The city is pretty small, population is a little over 100K so I wouldn't expect too much.
The city has a large senior population, Keep that in mind.
465KM from Vancouver, 557KM from Victoria, 672KM from Calgary, 550KM from Seattle WA.
Hope that information help, I researched about British Columbia when I wanted to study there.. this province is too godamn expensive.

http://www.city-data.com/canada/Kelowna-City.html
Population/Demographic Statistics

Good Luck.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,009,604 times
I've been there as a visitor. It's very pretty. Yes, they get a bit more rain than other areas, which is why it's such a great fruit-growing region, but it also gets lots of sun and heat. Yes, a lot of people retire there. It's rather expensive and I have been told that traffic is a big problem there.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks, I've been there twice (both times in the summer) but it was a while ago. I am very curious if anyone has lived (or spent any amount of time) there.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:06 PM

377 posts, read 1,515,387 times
I've spent a significant amount of time in Kelowna - and I love it.

Fantastic place if you are looking for a resort type location. Beautiful lake setting, great golf, wine, dining, recreation - and probably the best climate in Canada.

That said, it seems like a place that a younger person might get bored in after a significant amount of time. The city is still oriented towards tourism and retirement and offers very little in terms of economic opportunities or cultural offerings. There is also still a bit of a redneck attitude, and the city lacks any diversity whatsoever. It's also a bit too small for me (metro area around 180,000 - but actually feels much smaller.)

All in all, a great place to vacation and retire - but not a place I would choose to live permanently (at least at this stage in my life). However, if you put a city with the population and economic opportunity of a place like Calgary in Kelowna's location - you'd pretty much have the perfect Canadian city.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 21,539 times
Hi adventuregirl. I live in Kelowna and a bit surprised to hear that we get more rain than other areas! The Okanagan has a semi-arid classification and most years we welcome the rain. We've had a fair amount of rain this month though... it can stop anytime now! You're more than welcome to drop me a message if you'd like to chat about the valley.

Last edited by NessieOggy; 06-17-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieOggy View Post
Hi adventuregirl. I live in Kelowna and a bit surprised to hear that we get more rain than other areas! The Okanagan has a semi-arid classification and most years we welcome the rain. We've had a fair amount of rain this month though... it can stop anytime now! You're more than welcome to drop me a message if you'd like to chat about the valley.
That would be news to me too since my stepdaughter lives in the Okanagan, that it receives more rain than other areas. It is, as you say, a semi-arid region, and summers are generally quite hot, and winters mild.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM

377 posts, read 1,515,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
I've been there as a visitor. It's very pretty. Yes, they get a bit more rain than other areas, which is why it's such a great fruit-growing region, but it also gets lots of sun and heat. Yes, a lot of people retire there. It's rather expensive and I have been told that traffic is a big problem there.
Where did you get the idea that Kelowna rains alot?

Here is the average annual rainfall for other Canadian cities to compare (mm).

Vancouver: 1068
Toronto: 790
Calgary: 437
Kelowna: 298

Kelowna and the Okanagan Valley has one of the best climates on the country (it is the only desert region in the country). January can be quite grey and dreary however as the clouds from the Pacific set in the Valley after they've moved over the Cascades.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 AM

312 posts, read 945,679 times
I have visited Kelowna and I found it was a great place. I wouldn't personally move there but for visiting, the city is beautiful. The thing is though, with a population of around 100k, the city feels much smaller than it really is and there isn't a 'real' downtown there if that's what you're looking for because it's very much like a retirement/resort type city. I agree with the other posts of Kelowna having a good climate. There is very minimal rain because it's essentially the 'desert' of Canada. Summer's are very hot and dry and Winters are mild. Overall it's a great city to visit and there's a beautiful lake with lot's of beaches and nice parks.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM

It's funny, from this thread it looks like most people really like Kelowna but wouldn't want to live there. Interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or