U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 10:49 PM

80 posts, read 96,702 times

Advertisements

Somewhat-long post, sorry in advance

Some friends and I are planning a long road trip up to Nova Scotia all the way from Pennsylvania in a few weeks. We've actually been planning this trip for about two years, but each of those years we were not actually able to make the trip.

Back when we were first planning the trip, the CAT ferry was operating, and we were really looking forward to taking it. Since it's no longer in service, we'll be taking the ferry from St. John, New Brunswick, and we'll be stopping at some places in Maine beforehand. Once we get to NS, we'll be stopping in Keji-whatever park (still don't really know how its pronounced) which looks really incredible, but we'll only be able to stop for a few hours -- just enough for a quick couple-kilometer hike. From then we'll be headed to Halifax for a few nights and then on to Quebec City and another part of the road trip.

In another iteration of this trip, we were planning to spend a lot more time in NS, including visiting Cape Breton for a few days, but because of scheduling we won't really make it north of Halifax (at least on this trip).

So just a few quick questions in case anyone is feeling like answering (even if you just answer one that'd be great!):
  • How is the vibe in NS different from southern Canada (such as Ontario and the GTA), if at all? I'm from Pittsburgh, which is close enough to Ontario that we go several times per year to various places. I've also been to Quebec.
  • Is Peggy's Cove worth visiting? Looks like an interesting place.
  • Is there anything particularly interesting or must-see on the drive from Digby to Halifax (besides Keji)?
  • What's the best bar in Halifax?
  • Anything else we should know?
Thanks so much -- we are so excited to visit at least a few maritime provinces!

TL;DR Driving to Nova Scotia from Pittsburgh on a road trip, have a few quick questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 AM

34,387 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Did the whole trip a few years ago on Motorcycle,very scenic drive,, What stood out?

The drive through Joggins to Parrsboro amazing scenery =
http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=NS-...&via=1&t=m&z=9
.If you have kids Joggins is known for its fossils,
The Drive through the Annapolis valley on rt101 to Digby.
Luninburg to see the tall ships.
Small seaside restaurants all over the island that served the best seafood chowder.
Peggy's Cove, very scenic,restaurants a bit price though.
The only disappointment in the trip was the Eastern Shore Route going north from Halifax, very bumpy road and even though it looks close to the water you never quite see it,i'd skip that part if i did it again =
Robie St to Trans-Canada Hwy/NS-104 E/NS-4 Trunk E - Google Maps.

Cape Breton island is very scenic all over,Dont miss the Fort in Louisberg,,Brador lakes area, and the Margaree Valley area.
Kayak rental places abound.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-17-2012 at 02:13 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM

396 posts, read 729,948 times
I'd check out antigonish, it's home to a major canadian university, has a nice camp ground(during the weekdays) overcrowed on weekends. Nova Scotia I'd say is very similar to maine, it has that new england vibe although it is a bit different.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM

250 posts, read 549,983 times
Halifax is home for me. Here are some of my thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrun1126 View Post
  • How is the vibe in NS different from southern Canada (such as Ontario and the GTA), if at all? I'm from Pittsburgh, which is close enough to Ontario that we go several times per year to various places. I've also been to Quebec.

The Maritimes are fairly unique. Halifax won't feel like Toronto.
  • Is Peggy's Cove worth visiting? Looks like an interesting place.

• I think so. It has a rep for being a bit of a tourist trap, but the village isn't too commercial. I have always enjoyed walking on the rocks and watching the waves come in. I would skip it the weather is bad though. Gray rock, gray skies, and gray sea....could be kind of dreary. The Peggy's cove excursion should be a quick trip. There isn't a lot to do other have a quick look around. There is a restaurant and gift shop, but the food isn't great.

Is there anything particularly interesting or must-see on the drive from Digby to Halifax (besides Keji)?

Which direction are you going? If you are driving through keji to the atlantic shore, Lunnenburg is a must see.

If you are returning to the fundy shore, i think the town of wolfville is pretty nice. There is also some good hiking in blomidon park.

• What's the best bar in Halifax?

• The Lower Deck. Definitely check it out.

The Henry House is also very nice.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:16 PM

99 posts, read 292,240 times
Default old nova scoitan

first of all congrats on a road trip, and your great adventure. i lived most of my life in ns you will have a great trip, sign onto the NovaScoita.com web site to plan your trip, the things to see and do section is valuable. Nova Scotians, are a friendly lot, ask any questions and the locals will give you a straight forward honest answer.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:07 PM

80 posts, read 96,702 times
Thanks very much everyone!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 PM

52 posts, read 33,345 times
are people in nova scotia nice?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times
If you can make it to Cape Breton, the you will be in for some really nice scenery specially along the Cabot Trail. Down Town Halifaz is always happening in the summer. Don't forget to go to pizza corner and try a donair.

Quote:
How is the vibe in NS different from southern Canada
maybe a bit more rural, less farmland and a bit poorer looking compared to southern ontario. But Nova Scoita is still a beautiful place, specially around the lunenburg mahone bay area and even more in Cape Breton.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,465,037 times
Might I suggest, when you cross from ME to NB, stop at St-Andrews? Lovely town.
St. Andrews by-the-Sea New Brunswick

Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,465,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp0084 View Post
are people in nova scotia nice?
they're just as nice as new brunswickers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada