U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times

Advertisements

People shouldn't lump Hamilton in with Toronto and I'm sorry I forgot about it, Hamiltonians. I'd have put it right under Quebec City and Winnipeg but above Saskatoon etc, just because it is partially eclipsed by Toronto whereas Winnipeg dominates it's whole region and Quebec is a capital city with historic significance for the country. Doesn't mean it isn't a great Canadian city, and I did it a disservice forgetting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Toronto
Vancouver/Montreal
Calgary/Ottawa

As to the rest, who cares. Few people outside Canada know about the existence of Winnipeg, Regina, Sasktoon etc. They show on the map only because there is really nothing between Southern Ontario and Alberta. Toronto's suburb Mississauga is bigger than all of them and hardly anybody knows it.

I hope Calgary will grow into a real big city though. Most people find it extremely dull.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times
1. Toronto
2. Vancouver and Montreal tied
3. Ottawa
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton
6. Winnipeg
7. Quebec City
8. Hamilton
9. Halifax
10. Victoria

Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM

I'm sorry, but Montreal is still significantly more populous, has a much bigger, more diverse economy, and has left more of a mark on the country than Vancouver has so they're not tied, just next to each other on the list. I say this as someone who lives in both cities for parts of the year so I'm not being a homer, it's just what it is.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm sorry, but Montreal is still significantly more populous, has a much bigger, more diverse economy, and has left more of a mark on the country than Vancouver has so they're not tied, just next to each other on the list. I say this as someone who lives in both cities for parts of the year so I'm not being a homer, it's just what it is.
True, I guess even now Montreal is a bit ahead, however I see Vancouver as only becoming increasingly important to Canada and the world in the future.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,184,708 times
Sorry to Hamilton - if it makes you feel better I actually posted photos of Hamilton and Mississauga (gotta love the Absolute World Towers). Alas, though my best friend is from Saskatchewan, went to school in Calgary, and now lives up in the bush of B.C. I only know so many cities from Canada because of him, and a bit about the Montreal protests from a friend that lives there, but I know little of the economy. That's why I wanted to learn.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
True, I guess even now Montreal is a bit ahead, however I see Vancouver as only becoming increasingly important to Canada and the world in the future.
I agree, it's up and coming and will become a great city. It's still got some growing pains it's going to have to address, however, needs to develop its economy more, and has to deal with the affordable housing crisis. I see alot of promise in Vancouver, and I think it will overcome all of it's problems and become the amazing city we all know it can be (not that it isn't a good city now).

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 PM

250 posts, read 549,743 times
1. Toronto
2.Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Calgary
5. Ottawa
6. Edmonton
7. Quebec City
8. Winnipeg
9. Halifax
10. St John's

That's how I see it. The big six are pretty obvious (NHL cities that didn't lose their team).....and oddly they are ranked by population.

I put Quebec ahead of the 'Peg because I think it is a more important center of politics. Both cities have a rich history.

Hamilton was golden horseshoed out of my list. I didn't include Kitchener-Waterloo either. Toronto casts a huge shadow.

Halifax and St. Johns made my list because of their status of regional capitals.

One city we all seem to be missing is Windsor.....

Anyway, I have visited every city on my list except Ottawa.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 PM

312 posts, read 945,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
1. Toronto
2.Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Calgary
5. Ottawa
6. Edmonton
7. Quebec City
8. Winnipeg
9. Halifax
10. St John's

That's how I see it. The big six are pretty obvious (NHL cities that didn't lose their team).....and oddly they are ranked by population.

I put Quebec ahead of the 'Peg because I think it is a more important center of politics. Both cities have a rich history.

Hamilton was golden horseshoed out of my list. I didn't include Kitchener-Waterloo either. Toronto casts a huge shadow.

Halifax and St. Johns made my list because of their status of regional capitals.

One city we all seem to be missing is Windsor.....

Anyway, I have visited every city on my list except Ottawa.
Yeah Windsor and London. Though they are probably not that important afterall. Then again, more important than Regina!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's also a tough question to answer because globally some cities are more well-known in certain regions, others have more renown in others.

In Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America, as far as recognition is concerned, Montreal is often neck and neck with Toronto and even ahead of it in certain countries and sub-regions.

But once you reach India and going east into the rest of Asia, it's all about Toronto and Vancouver, and Montreal doesn't register much of a blip compared to the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or