U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
(eg. the claim recently that not long ago, for the first time in history, there are more Canadians in the West than the East now)
What definition of the East is being used to make this claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 AM

250 posts, read 550,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
of Ontario (on both sides).

Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
Ho-kay. Grouping Quebec and the Atlantic provinces together as a "region" is kind of a weird construct.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM

242 posts, read 439,362 times
Ontario and Quebec still have 62.5% of the country's population. No doubt though there are great jobs available out west right now. But Alberta's population percentage wise is no different now then it was 30-40 years ago. The media hype of Canada's western provinces taking over is not as impressive as it sounds. Ontario and Quebec are not losing people contrary to what some media reports lead people to assume. In fact, Quebec is gaining about 75,000 new people a year NET while Ontario is gaining 150,000 new people each year. These numbers already take into account people moving to other provinces.

BUT I do think over the next 20-30 years you are going to see Western Canada play an increasing role in the Canadian economy and as a result their population will increase further. An Alberta of 5 million people is probably only about 20 years away (they are projected to hit the 4 million mark by the 2016 census). But voting wise, Ontario and Quebec will continue dominate with 199 out of 338 seats in the 2015 election. The two provinces will receive a combined 18 extra seats. Alberta and BC will each get 6 new seats for a total of 12 for Western Canada.

Last edited by travis3000; 06-22-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,800,632 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
Yeah, that's probably it. I first heard about it on the radio and some news articles I think -- the claim that the "West" has just surpassed the "East" in population earlier this year for the first time in history based on the census, where upon closer inspection they excluded Ontario as neither eastern nor western.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120208/census-data-release-120208/

Latest Census confirms Ontario's decline | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,652,680 times
Quote:
Ho-kay. Grouping Quebec and the Atlantic provinces together as a "region" is kind of a weird construct.
Yes I think grouping Canada as 'west/east' is overly simplistic. I see it as British Columbia, the Prairies, Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes + Newfoundland, and then the territories.

Ontario isn't really 'eastern Canada' because northwestern Ontario is actually closer to the west coast than it is to St John's, and even Toronto has far more of a 'central' feeling than an eastern feeling.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM

312 posts, read 946,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Yes I think grouping Canada as 'west/east' is overly simplistic. I see it as British Columbia, the Prairies, Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes + Newfoundland, and then the territories.

Ontario isn't really 'eastern Canada' because northwestern Ontario is actually closer to the west coast than it is to St John's, and even Toronto has far more of a 'central' feeling than an eastern feeling.
I always considered Ontario "Eastern Canada" (and Quebec and Atlantic Canada) and the prairies + BC "Western Canada". I always found Manitoba having more of a central feeling and it was around the center of Canada. I find east of Manitoba is eastern Canada and west of it is Western Canada and Manitoba is in the middle of the east and west in Canada.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,652,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
I always considered Ontario "Eastern Canada" (and Quebec and Atlantic Canada) and the prairies + BC "Western Canada". I always found Manitoba having more of a central feeling and it was around the center of Canada. I find east of Manitoba is eastern Canada and west of it is Western Canada and Manitoba is in the middle of the east and west in Canada.
Personally I'd consider Thunder Bay to be the line, but then again I haven't been anywhere between Waterton Lakes and Parry Sound so I can't really say from experience like you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or