U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times

Advertisements

Normally it refers to anyone who is not white, basically.

But I think such term is lost its meaning in changing social context. In several Canadians cities, whites are not the majority any more. For example, Vancouver BC (white 47%), Richmond BC (34%), Brampton, ON (42%), and Markham ON (34%).

In Richmond BC, there are more Chinese (44%) than all white from various backgrounds combined (34%);
In Markham, ON, Chinese and white both account for about a third.
In Brampton, South Asians are 34%
In Missisauga, non-white exceeded 50% for the first time in 2011
Even Toronto is only 52.6% white, which will probably change in the next 10 years

The UN actually has banned the use of "visible minority" because it singles out one race and lump all others together. In addition, it is also offensive to whites because it assumes all white people have similar cultural background, which is far from the truth.

Think about it, a third generation Indian who has never been to Asia nor speaks any language other than English is considered "minority", while an immigrant from Bulgaria who landed 3 days ago hardly able to speak any English or have any knowledge in Canadian culture is part of the "majority".

The term lost its meaning simply because in big cities nowadays, having more non-white people doesn't mean higher diversity any longer. Richmond BC is not more diversified than Toronto because it has 66% non white, Miami is not more diversifed that NYC just because only 12% of its population is white (70% hispanic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,488,456 times
What significance is there to the word "visible" in the phrase "visible minority"? What so special about being visible?
Wouldn't the phrase "invisible majority" have a greater impact of meaning?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM

312 posts, read 946,860 times
Whites are pretty much minority now in Canada

Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,144,921 times
Most people from India are white (Caucasian), so you are wrong about Brampton.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times
It is silly how the US lumps all white people together. Also, 'visible' is a matter of your own viewpoint: someone might be able to discern somebody with Slavic features, while others might see them as another 'white' person. The phrase 'majority minority' is also pretty silly as well. If they're a majority in a place they're obviously not a 'minority' anymore.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
What significance is there to the word "visible" in the phrase "visible minority"? What so special about being visible?
Wouldn't the phrase "invisible majority" have a greater impact of meaning?
I don't know how Americans use the phrase but the original reasoning behind the Canadian census term "visible minority" that it was coined to describe those who look visibly different from the majority, was because traditionally Canadian minority identities did not involve physical appearances but either language, culture or creed (eg. Francophones, Catholics).

Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Whites are pretty much minority now in Canada
Not even close.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
I never liked the term visible minority, I consider it ambiguous and irrelevant, since they already ask people about their ethnicity. You can decide for yourself whether a Turk, a Romanian, or a half Punjabi/half Dutch person counts as a visible minority. I, for one, find the whole obsession with that term at Statistics Canada pretty dumb.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM

396 posts, read 730,566 times
What grinds my gears, is being compared with someone who`s grandparents are from germany or italy, when I don`t even know what my ancestry is. My families have been here since before confederation, so I have no real birth records to work with. I`m ethnic canadian, to call me euro or white canadian is an insult for more than a few reasons. A) I have no recorded record with europe, granted I would love to know my grandfather or whoever was from glasgow, but I have no clue. B) It`s an insult to someone who`s family only been here since the 1960`s to say that there heritage started when there parents got here and not long before. C) I got one proven and three likely metis ancestors so making assumption about my back round is kinda weird, I`m obviously racially white, but I wouldn`t compare myself to someone with a german speaking grandfather.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Most people from India are white (Caucasian), so you are wrong about Brampton.
most Indians (and mid easterners) are indeed Caucasian in theory, however I don't think Indians are considered "Caucasian" or white in any country.
In Canada, are Indians part of the white population according to StatsCan? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or