U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,502,555 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are possibly going to take a driving trip from St. Paul, MN to Winnipeg. What is there to do there? We would be there for Canada day, how would that affect what is going on? What attractions, sites, destinations, or restaurants are there? Also, how would you rate the provincial and national parks around the area? (especially Riding Mountain National Park)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Canada Day celebrations in Winnipeg take place at The Forks.

Canada Day at The Forks presented by Rogers | The Forks

One of the loveliest public spaces in Winnipeg and a must-see for any visitor. | The Forks

Riding Mountain is about a 4 hour drive west of Winnipeg, near the Saskatchewan border. Parks Canada - Riding Mountain National Park - Riding Mountain National Park

Grand Beach is very popular as is the Whiteshell Provincial Park, east of Winnipeg.

If you could be more specific as to what you enjoy doing, it would be easier to give you information but I hope these links will be some help. There are many restaurants around the Forks, and in the Corydon Street area.

I don't know what sort of hotel you are looking for, but the Fairmont is centrally located.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,502,555 times
Sorry, I was sort of vague, but as far as parks go, are there some that are good, and not completely flat, but not heavily visited, for instance one where there is a low chance of seeing other people? Grand beach is kind of the opposite. Also, one that is closer than riding mountain, which we ruled out, but offers good hiking/biking/horse back riding? The main concern for hotels is cost, so is there many that are chain hotels, like Hiltons, etc.? How is the planetarium?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Sorry, I was sort of vague, but as far as parks go, are there some that are good, and not completely flat, but not heavily visited, for instance one where there is a low chance of seeing other people? Grand beach is kind of the opposite. Also, one that is closer than riding mountain, which we ruled out, but offers good hiking/biking/horse back riding? The main concern for hotels is cost, so is there many that are chain hotels, like Hiltons, etc.? How is the planetarium?
In all the parks there are areas that attract a lot of people, but the parks are big enough that there are less populated areas in which to go. There is horseback riding in both Riding Mountain and the Whiteshell - Falcon Lake in the Whiteshell has horseback riding - I'm not aware off hand of any other stables there - but Falcon Lake is also the popular, people-saturated place place to go. But it still may be worth checking out - Falcon Beach Ranch

There are many lakes in the Whiteshell, and not all of them are as popular as Falcon Lake, with hiking trails, and fishing. Whiteshell Provincial Park Hiking Trails

I'm not a camper myself, so I'm hoping that someone else with camping experience will join in - Extrememan?

Another popular destination not far from Winnipeg is Gimli - it is just over an hour's drive north of Winnipeg and situated on Lake Winnipeg. It is a unique Icelandic community, the largest Icelandic settlement outside of Iceland. It is also a very popular summer cottage destination for Winnipegers and in my opinion, best avoided on weekends. I used to live there. I hated the weekend crowds. It's a very pretty little town, lots of local artists display their wares. I personally think it is worth seeing.

Here's a link to the interlake (the area between Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg)
Interlake Tourism

And there is also a place, the name of which totally escapes me, but which I understand is not that far north of Winnipeg, which has very unique white cliffs and I believe, some petroforms. I have to think about what the name of that place is, unless some other 'toban's memory is better than mine.

And then there is the Prairie Dog Central train, which is a unique kind of way to spend the day on an old-time choo-choo train, and I believe they have a fake hold-up by fake robbers. I haven't been on the train myself but most of my family has. http://www.pdcrailway.com/

If you are interested in how pioneers used to live in sod huts etc, then it would be a family-friendly way to spend the day at the Mennonite Heritage Village in Steinbach, which is about a 30 minute drive east of Winnipeg. I think they have a farm animal type zoo and there are a lot of activities there. Don't be put off by the "Mennonite" name - Mennonite settlers here didn't live any differently than any other pioneer. Their website will have details about specific activities. There is a parade in Steinbach on Canada Day, and I believe there are a lot of festivities going on at the Heritage Village on that day.

You know how when you live someplace, you never go there? Well, the last time I was at the Planetarium was for a school field trip in elementary school. So there is a planetarium and I know I was wowed as a kid, but I haven't been there since.

There are all the usual chain hotels, in all price ranges. The Fairmont is expensive. Right now nothing comes to mind - were you looking for something centrally located or something more on the outskirts of the city? Hotel or motel matter?

If I think of other things, I'll post them later.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 PM

It will be very hard to find hilly land in southern Manitoba. The hilliest - Riding Mountain, would cause people who have seen the Rockies to burst into laughter. The Whiteshell is not flat but I wouldn't call it hilly - it is a rocky area, with variations in land height that wouldn't qualify as hilly but that still might meet your requirements. By Manitoba standards, the distance from Winnipeg is not far.

The area near Virden in south-western Manitoba is hilly, interesting, up-and-down country, very pretty, looks like a storybook in certain areas but it may be further west than you want to go. You can use Google maps to check out the distance but it may be doable for you if you take your starting point as the border instead of Winnipeg.

Souris may be doable for you - they had a swinging bridge but unfortunately, it was badly damaged in last years' flood and I don't think it is up yet.

The Spirit Sands in the Spruce Woods Provincial Park are also interesting and in the same area.

The white cliffs I was thinking of was Steep Rock, north of Winnipeg.

ETA: I totally forgot about Hecla Island, north of Gimli - it is also a popular site. http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/pa...ral/hecla.html

Bird's Hill is very popular with Winnipegers and it also has horseback riding facilities. It has the advantage of being very close to Winnipeg.

Here is a link to Manitoba Tourism.

Hope that helps.

Manitoba is a sparsely populated province, and distances can be...well, quite a distance.

Last edited by netwit; 06-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM

37 posts, read 49,783 times
Rose Isle is beautiful. I get bummed out living in Manitova bcuz I like trees, hills , natural trails and water, and there's like none of that where I live in the blasted prairies. So we'll go hike at Rose Isle when we need our scenic fix- the only thing that place is missing is a lake to swim in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or