U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel closer to Canadians in faraway provinces or to the Americans a stone throw south of you?
I am from Western Canada and I feel closer to NW Americans than I do to eastern Canadians 1 12.50%
I am from Eastern Canada and I feel closer to Midwest/NE Americans than I do to Western Canadians 2 25.00%
I am from Western Canada and I feel closer to Eastern Canadians than to NW Americans 3 37.50%
I am from Eastern Canada and I feel closer to Western Canadians than to Midwest/NE Americans 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,649,157 times

Advertisements

You identify more with Canadians who live in distant provinces, or with the Americans who live directly under you?

Obviously, to people who live in Yellowknife, Nunavut, Dawson, etc, this question isn't relevant, but to 90% of Canadians it is.

Would someone from Abbotsford BC feel closer to Halifax, NS or to Bellingham, WA? Would someone from Stoney Creek feel closer to someone from St. John's or Tofino than they would to someone from Erie, PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM

353 posts, read 803,622 times
I live in Northwest Washington state near Blaine/Bellingham, WA, and I definitely have a lot in common with folks from White Rock, Surrey, and Vancouver, BC. My g/f lives in White Rock so I'm definitely learning the ins and outs of Canadian culture.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I live in Northwest Washington state near Blaine/Bellingham, WA, and I definitely have a lot in common with folks from White Rock, Surrey, and Vancouver, BC. My g/f lives in White Rock so I'm definitely learning the ins and outs of Canadian culture.
I could be wrong, but I also notice much more of a contrast between the US and Canada in the east too. Barrie is a different world from Rochester, NY, seriously the places could be a thousand miles apart, but on the other hand Vancouver doesn't feel that far away from Everett. I think it's the 'Cascadian' thing, the whole PNW doesn't really have a strong 'American' or 'Canadian' vibe, more like a mix of the two but also a feeling all to its own. There's not really a similar feeling in my opinion back east, Ontario feels nothing like Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York State, though I get a feeling (haven't been there), that New England blends in with Quebec and the Maritimes to a degree.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
I identify with individuals not nationalities. It's really a dumb question.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I identify with individuals not nationalities. It's really a dumb question.
Well I didn't mean it in a racist or bigoted way, I just meant who would you say you culturally have more in common with?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
I'm pretty sure we had an identical question not long ago but perhaps the question came up in the middle of a thread about something else and I think the consensus was that Canadians feel closer to other Canadians.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Well I didn't mean it in a racist or bigoted way, I just meant who would you say you culturally have more in common with?
I did not mean to imply it was racist or bigoted. What I mean is that I can find all different types of folks in both countries. Personally I really don't like redneck culture but as a % of the population I can't say there are more of them in the USA than here in Canada. There is for sure way more Latino culture in the USA than here and black culture also. I don't have anything much in common with those cultures just simpley because I'm not exposed to them.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
that New England blends in with Quebec and the Maritimes to a degree.
More the Maritimes than Quebec.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM

18,266 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
You identify more with Canadians who live in distant provinces, or with the Americans who live directly under you?

Obviously, to people who live in Yellowknife, Nunavut, Dawson, etc, this question isn't relevant, but to 90% of Canadians it is.

Would someone from Abbotsford BC feel closer to Halifax, NS or to Bellingham, WA? Would someone from Stoney Creek feel closer to someone from St. John's or Tofino than they would to someone from Erie, PA?
Your question is posed as a result of your relatively recent and increased exposure to Canadians as described by you in a later post.

I venture to say Canadians will on average identify more with other Canadians on a cultural basis WHEREVER they may be located in the very same manner that ex-pat Americans do when clustering together in other parts of the world.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM

312 posts, read 945,679 times
I feel closer to anyone in Canada than the U.S. No matter where I am living, even if it is a stone throw away. It's just because Canada's ideas and culture is quite unique and different. I live in Calgary and I would relate to more people from Newfoundland and even Quebec for that matter than anywhere in NW U.S. It may be just me but I feel the whole nation has more in common (Maybe Windsor being the exception)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or