U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,649,824 times

Advertisements

I'd say move anywhere except Vancouver BC, that place is priced out for most people, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'd say move anywhere except Vancouver BC, that place is priced out for most people, unfortunately.

Has been since China regained "ownership" of the island and a flood of black market chinese money came in with the hoard of chinese escaping the consequences of that. They don't call it Hongcouver in the ROC for nothing.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 PM

20 posts, read 76,765 times
I have been doing some research on Saskatchewan and also the University of Regina. I am also considering what a previous poster said...to finish my studies in Canada. The only problem I can see is my financial situation. At the moment I am able to pay for my education with financial aid and government subsidized loans. Does Canada offer any such programs for non citizens?

Is there anything that I would be able to do about this?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz333 View Post
I have been doing some research on Saskatchewan and also the University of Regina. I am also considering what a previous poster said...to finish my studies in Canada. The only problem I can see is my financial situation. At the moment I am able to pay for my education with financial aid and government subsidized loans. Does Canada offer any such programs for non citizens?

Is there anything that I would be able to do about this?
How much would it cost to go to the UofRegina?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,568,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Certainly agree with your assessment of the American political milieu, when people can start donating millions of dollars to a candidate democracy gets left behind in favor of highest bidder buys the presidency, here in Canada you can personally donate up to $25, or if you are a company $1100.Elections are usually called and are over and done with in a matter of a couple of months unlike Americas penchant for being in election mode all the time.
Ignore the Canada naysayers who just want to move to the USA as the majority of 35 million Canadians if given the choice wouldnt move to the USA,
Yeah prices on most stuff is higher but its to be expected in the smaller market and also life isnt always about prices but quality of life which for most in Canada seems more than adequate.I agree with others on Saskatchewan and Alberta being high potential destinations but ultimately i'd move to any place in Canada that gives you a job..
I hate to contradict you Jambo but corporations or any other special interests can not give one red cent to politics. A citizen can give up to $1100 a year and that's it.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 76,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How much would it cost to go to the UofRegina?

It has to be a mistake.....

According to the University's website masters programs run at around $7000 per year. I honestly can't see that as true because of Canada's higher cost of living. In the US I pay close to double that amount per year.

Can someone please verify?

Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research | University of Regina

Is the University of Regina a fully accredited and respected institution in Canada?

Do Canadian Universities go by GPA / GMAT scores?

Last edited by calintz333; 06-26-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz333 View Post
It has to be a mistake.....

According to the University's website masters programs run at around $7000 per year. I honestly can't see that as true because of Canada's higher cost of living. In the US I pay close to double that amount per year.

Can someone please verify?

Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research | University of Regina

Is the University of Regina a fully accredited and respected institution in Canada?

Do Canadian Universities go by GPA / GMAT scores?
Why do you compare college tuition with the US in the first place? the two countries are completely not comparable.

$7000 a year sounds right to me. Someone from Quebec only needs to pay like $2000 a year to attend McGill. Even expensive universities such as UofT are cheap than most American public universities.

Yes, Canada does GPA/GRE/GMAT too. It basically adopts the entire American system.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM

250 posts, read 549,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why do you compare college tuition with the US in the first place? the two countries are completely not comparable.

$7000 a year sounds right to me. Someone from Quebec only needs to pay like $2000 a year to attend McGill. Even expensive universities such as UofT are cheap than most American public universities.
The cost for foreign students is likely higher...

U of R is a fine school, but in terms of general awareness of the school, it ranks pretty low...even in Western Canada. Most Westerners are more familiar with U of Sask., UBC, SFU, UVic, U of Alberta, U of Calgary and U of Manitoba. I don't know if that matters to you.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 AM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I hate to contradict you Jambo but corporations or any other special interests can not give one red cent to politics. A citizen can give up to $1100 a year and that's it.
Thanks for the correction. The Canadian system sure sounds like a saner way to finance candidates or party's than the American system where any one or entity in the world can donate whatever they want..
Quote:
Who can donate

As of January 1, 2007, only citizens and permanent residents of Canada can make political donations to registered parties, registered electoral district associations, candidates, nomination contestants and leadership contestants.
Corporations, trade unions and unincorporated associations may no longer make political donations to candidates, registered electoral district associations or nomination contestants of registered parties. The existing prohibition on donations from these organizations to registered parties and leadership contestants of registered parties remains. However, an employer can give an employee who wishes to be a nomination contestant or a candidate a paid leave of absence during an election period, and that leave will not be considered a contribution.
Limits on donations

1. Contribution limits from individuals are now:
    • no more than $1,100* in any calendar year to each registered political party
    • no more than $1,100* in total in any calendar year to the various entities of each registered political party (registered associations, nomination contestants and candidates)
    • no more than $1,100* to each independent candidate for a particular election
    • no more than $1,100* in total to the leadership contestants in a particular leadership contest
  2. Contributions to own campaign: Nomination contestants, candidates and leadership contestants may make additional contributions from their own funds to their own campaigns. These contributions are not indexed for inflation and do not count against the individual's contribution limit.
    • A nomination contestant or candidate of a registered party may contribute not more than $1,000 in total from his or her own funds to his or her own campaign; contestants may divide this amount between their nomination and candidate campaigns as they wish.
    • A candidate in an election, who does not represent a registered party, may contribute not more than $1,000 in total from his or her own funds to his or her own campaign.
    • A contestant in a particular leadership contest may contribute not more than $1,000 in total from his or her own funds to his or her own campaign.
  3. Cash contributions: No individual may make a cash contribution in an amount that exceeds $20.
  4. Receipts: A receipt must be issued for each contribution received of, or with a commercial value of, $20 or more.
And yes that $7K for tuition sounds about right for a student coming from outside Canada,it would be half that for a Canadian,Not everything in Canada is more expensive than it is in the USA, education being an example..Healthcare is also a bargain by comparison.
My 2 daughters attend Concordia University in Montreal tuition is $1300 per semester per child.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Yeah, I checked u of regina and that is the correct price for international students. Even without Canadian prices, tuition at Canadian universities is a bargain. Thousands of Americans come to Canadian schools for just that reason. Part of this is that the schools aren't looking to make huge profits since they're public institutions. U of Regina isn't quite as well known, however, as U of Saskatchewan.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 06-27-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or