U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,416,369 times

Advertisements

Bien dit, Jumbo101. I always learn something about our political system from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz333 View Post
I have been doing some research on Saskatchewan and also the University of Regina. I am also considering what a previous poster said...to finish my studies in Canada. The only problem I can see is my financial situation. At the moment I am able to pay for my education with financial aid and government subsidized loans. Does Canada offer any such programs for non citizens?

Is there anything that I would be able to do about this?
In grad schools, there are scholarships that do not require a specific type of citizenship, and non-Canadians can apply. Im sure you can find them online or write to the universities/institutes directly to find out.

From the website of U of Calgary -
Quote:
VIII. International Students
International students planning to do graduate work at the University of Calgary should be aware that a number of Canadian scholarship programs require Canadian citizenship or permanent residence status. However, the Government of Canada does support a number of programs designed to assist individuals who wish to study in Canada on a Study Permit. These programs are usually organized through agencies of the individual's own government, and prospective students are encouraged to explore these possibilities. International students may apply for Graduate Assistantships, Graduate Teaching Fellowships and FGS Scholarships.
University of Calgary : Awards and Financial Assistance for Graduate Students
If I can think of anymore, I shall update you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM

218 posts, read 444,937 times
You might find this helpful, it gives you the average tuition as an international student for each university in Canada:

Tuition fees by university

It's for an undergrad degree but you can use it for the sake of comparison.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 PM

52 posts, read 33,326 times
I personally think canadians should reject him.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp0084 View Post
I personally think canadians should reject him.
Don't be ridiculous, we don't care about your internal disagreements. If someone has a clean criminal record, brings solid skills to the table, speaks an official Canadian language, and qualifies for immigration that's the end of the story, they'll do fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM

52 posts, read 33,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Don't be ridiculous, we don't care about your internal disagreements. If someone has a clean criminal record, brings solid skills to the table, speaks an official Canadian language, and qualifies for immigration that's the end of the story, they'll do fine.
Not what I've heard form other canadians.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM

65 posts, read 161,508 times
I really don't blame him and his family for leaving the U.S. Me personally, I'm thinking about the same thing (not exactly for his reasons though) There's just too much publicity here in the U.S. I'm sure there is publicity in Canada as well but, we have a president that is NOT an officially legal U.S. citizen, that is running our country and the people wants him to be re-elected for another 4 years term. Sounds bad, doesn't it, lol. I don't vote...and never will. So, votes never does counts anyways. It's all on the judges. Anyways, heard that life is peaceful in Canada, people are alot friendly and the workforce is booming. Idk, I'm just going by what some Canadians said. Not really sure how true it is but sounds like a great place to live. Just trying to be clear...So, if you have the skills, have the experiences, meet the requirements...then, it will be soo easy to get a job there...right? However, the downfall would be, not being an officially Canadian citizen. Do you have to have an official Canadian relationship in order to become an citizen there? Sorry, I haven't got the chance to read everything in this tread. Thanks...

Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM

65 posts, read 161,508 times
Quote:
Can you tell me more about that? I understand that there is French language in certain parts in Canada and no, I can't speak french, lol. Only English. So, will that make a difference for Job market there?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM

7,223 posts, read 6,575,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz333 View Post

I have had enough.

Today's supreme court decision to strike down Montana's 1912 law that banned corporate contributions to elections was the last straw for me. The legal precedent that was established today is more harmful to the democracy of the United States than most Americans can ever imagine. The United States has now lost its democracy in my eyes. I no longer feel that I can be proud to be an American nor would I want to raise my children in this kind of corrupt environment.

As of today I began the process of applying for my Canadian permanent residency card......
Why did you wait until Montana struck down that law? Corporate contributions to elections is not a legal precedent. Many states in USA have already permitted corporate contributions to elections for decades. It's the corporate lobbyists and capitalists who already own USA's government and have done so for ages. So why wait until now to escape from it?

I think it's fine if you want to come to Canada because you sincerely want to become a proud Canadian CITIZEN and contribute to the enhancement and well being and growth of Canada. I do not think it's fine if you want to escape to Canada as your 2nd best choice of consolation and be a RESIDENT in Canada while still retaining your American citizenship merely to avoid the political corruption that's been happening in America since before you were born and now you don't like what's just happened in Montana where you were originally planning to move to as your 1st choice.

What do you plan to contribute to Canada to make Canada a better place for yourself and all Canadians that you cannot plan to do in your own home country to make it a better place for yourself and all Americans?

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-28-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Can you tell me more about that? I understand that there is French language in certain parts in Canada and no, I can't speak french, lol. Only English. So, will that make a difference for Job market there?
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Immigrating to Canada is not easy and you need to be qualified for the jobs that are in demand, they're not just handing out jobs. You're best bet is if you're married to a Canadian or have a special skill the country is short of.

As for the French language, yes, about 25% of the country is French speaking and the country has both English and French as official languages. Specifically, the province of Quebec, the second largest province, is officially French speaking and the vast majority of the population is mother tongue French speakers, many of them unilingual. There are also French speakers in Northern and Eastern Ontario by the border with Quebec, and about a third of New Brunswick is French. Outside of Quebec, you can live fine speaking only English, but it would be inconvenient for a trucker who would need to be making alot of stops in small town Quebec not to speak the language at all. Also all of the road signs are in French. Of course, you likely wouldn't be accepted to immigrate if you don't have Canadian family if trucking is your profession, you'd need some special skill to get accepted so I guess the point is kinda moot.

I also wouldn't recommend coming to Canada because you think Obama wasn't born in America as I don't think you'd find our country an improvement in that field. Our head of state is the Queen of England and it's perfectly legal for someone born outside of Canada to become the prime minister (and we have had some prime ministers who were born outside the country). Also, the country on the whole would be considered more politically left wing than the USA. If you're fine with that and you're eligible for immigration, then more power to ya, give it a shot.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times
Quote:
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Immigrating to Canada is not easy and you need to be qualified for the jobs that are in demand, they're not just handing out jobs. You're best bet is if you're married to a Canadian or have a special skill the country is short of.

As for the French language, yes, about 25% of the country is French speaking and the country has both English and French as official languages. Specifically, the province of Quebec, the second largest province, is officially French speaking and the vast majority of the population is mother tongue French speakers, many of them unilingual. There are also French speakers in Northern and Eastern Ontario by the border with Quebec, and about a third of New Brunswick is French. Outside of Quebec, you can live fine speaking only English, but it would be inconvenient for a trucker who would need to be making alot of stops in small town Quebec not to speak the language at all. Also all of the road signs are in French. Of course, you likely wouldn't be accepted to immigrate if you don't have Canadian family if trucking is your profession, you'd need some special skill to get accepted so I guess the point is kinda moot.

I also wouldn't recommend coming to Canada because you think Obama wasn't born in America as I don't think you'd find our country an improvement in that field. Our head of state is the Queen of England and it's perfectly legal for someone born outside of Canada to become the prime minister (and we have had some prime ministers who were born outside the country). Also, the country on the whole would be considered more politically left wing than the USA. If you're fine with that and you're eligible for immigration, then more power to ya, give it a shot.
I think its funny that under Bush, many "lefties" wanted to move to Canada. Now we have birthers (who ignore the fact that the government of Hawaii has said Obama was a natural born citizen) who want to move to Canada. Wait til they find out that a Canadian conservative is more a moderate in the US, that gays can get married anywhere in Canada and politicians are less likely to mention Jesus. And yes, like Australia (with a Welsh born PM)' you dont have to be naturally born, which I think is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or