U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Canada getting a warmer climate due to AGW?
I love the cold and if true, I will be saddened by it 5 27.78%
I hate the cold but I am still worried about global warming's effect on Canada 2 11.11%
Bring it on! 3 16.67%
None of the 3 above statements describe how I feel 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM

34,356 posts, read 41,427,648 times

Advertisements

No doubt the Earth has been warm and warmer in the past,question now is the current warming trend being abnormally influenced by mans presence on the Earth?, i personally have no clue,i can only speculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:00 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
Would global warming make the Canadian territories more habitable?
No. How could it make it more habitable? The only thing it would make it more habitable for is plagues of insects.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM

250 posts, read 549,698 times
If we continue to experience climate change, I am sure we will adapt but there will be a lot of growing pains.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I doubt Global warming in Canada is going to turn Canada into a tropical paradise,maybe the temperature will rise a degree or two making Canada still too cold to convince most Americans to shelve their plans of moving to Florida.
I would say it's a realistic estimate to say that the Toronto of 2100 will be as warm as the Nashville of 2012. Of course, it's all up in the air, literally!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,652,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
claiming "global warming" based on 50 years of record when thousands of years of temperature remains unknown to us isn't exactly what we should call "science".
I'm claiming global warming based on 500,000 years of ice core data, rather than 60 years of atmospheric temperature. We can make rough assessments of which periods of history were warm and which were cool by judging ice layer thickness is these same glaciers (more ice forms during colder periods), pollen present in these ice cores (Species range fluctuates with climatic changes) and Oxygen-18 isotope concentrations in ice (Oxygen-18 evaporates at a higher temperature than Oxygen-16. We can measure oceanic evaporation rates this way).

CO2 levels have fluctuated between ~180 and ~300 ppm during that time, and tend to align with cool and warm periods, respectively. So, either CO2 causes warming, warming causes CO2 or it rises independently of, but in synch with, warming temperatures. Common consensus is that it's a cause, but for this purpose, that's really irrelevant, as all we need to know is that more CO2 coincides with warm temperatures.

So, given that our current global mean CO2 concentration is sitting at ~380 ppm, it's a fair statement to say that average temperatures are warmer right now than in the past 500,000 years.

Quote:
I admit there must be some negative consequence of warming/climate change, but it comes with positive factors as well. In order to conclude whether the net is positive and negative, we need the picture. Just holding on to one aspect of this issue is not objective. Will Canada be better off or worse off? We don't know yet, do we? Some areas getting drier obviously NOT the whole story.
I hope you don't always go off this half cocked. You've just repeated my whole premise back to me, but seem to regard it as some clever counter argument.

When I write something like "I can't speak for other parts of the country, but..." that signifies that I'm only addressing a small part of the country, and knowingly leaving parts out.

And, when I write "Assuming that..." before making a guess, that means that I'm basing that guess off of data that I don't know for certain to be correct (and which, if you'll note, I stated was uncertain and not well addressed in the first part of that paragraph).

Quote:
Whether it is mainly caused by human activities? Only the gullible and those with a political agenda will claim so with absolutely certainty.
You, I and others in this thread are disagreeing and making arguments about the cause of global warming. This is called debate. That is why I wrote that the cause is being debated.

--------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, if you want to debate this topic properly, I'm happy to, but it's not all that interesting if you're going to make wild assumptions based on half read paragraphs and restate my own arguments to me.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 AM

218 posts, read 444,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
still. 60 years of data prove nothing when humans have existed for millions of years.

We don't know whether it is a general trend of warming, or it is just a phase. One question I can ask is, how do you during the past 3000 years, the earth has even been warmer than now for an extended period of time? Maybe between 1234BC and 1134BC the earth was even 2C warmer than at present? Do you know? I don't.
I think you should've checked my links:

‘One hundred years is not enough’–Yes it is | Grist

Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I would say it's a realistic estimate to say that the Toronto of 2100 will be as warm as the Nashville of 2012. Of course, it's all up in the air, literally!
108 in Nashville today..

Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 PM

5,688 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
While there's certainly a political element to it and a push to publish alarmist findings rather than more sober ones, it's indisputable that the mean global temperature is currently higher than it has been in the recent past and that there's more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there was in the past. There's still some ongoing argument as to whether human industry is the most significant factor in that and, probably most debatable, what the actual effects of increasing carbon dioxide will be over time.

It is also, as Netwit pointed out, not necessarily good for Northern countries. There hasn't been much in the way of good research into regional effects, but most models (both alarmist and not) tend to predict increasing drought and increasing numbers of severe weather events. I can't speak much for the West Coast or Eastern parts of the country, but were these predictions to bear out, they could be disastrous here.

In southern Alberta and Southwestern Saskatchewan, water is already scarce and tightly controlled. I've seen first hand what 2 or 3 drought years can do, and it isn't pretty. Assuming we do see a decrease in rainfall, it will hurt the agricultural sector (particularly in heavily irrigated areas) and would likely stall natural gas production in Saskatchewan, as fracturing requires significant amounts of water.
I pointed it out? Am I typing in my sleep? I checked the thread and unless I am repeatedly missing my own post (I actually am very tired), I don't think I posted on this yet???

But I agree with you nonetheless. Global warming is scary. We've had very unusual weather here for a few years now, and last year we had almost no rain. There's not that much benefit to a longer growing season if it is offset by the need for irrigation. And if river and lake drop, there might not be much water for irrigation to begin with. And that won't affect just the western provinces - it will affect everyone in the form of food prices.

And I don't think we'd be flinging the borders open either, if that happens, for all those big cities and larger population base some find attractive. We might instead be wanting our own southern border fence.

I don't like the cold - at least I don't like it as cold as it gets here. But there's more to the possibility of a warmer Canada than just the good stuff, like a longer swimming season.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,652,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I pointed it out? Am I typing in my sleep? I checked the thread and unless I am repeatedly missing my own post (I actually am very tired), I don't think I posted on this yet???

But I agree with you nonetheless. Global warming is scary. We've had very unusual weather here for a few years now, and last year we had almost no rain. There's not that much benefit to a longer growing season if it is offset by the need for irrigation. And if river and lake drop, there might not be much water for irrigation to begin with. And that won't affect just the western provinces - it will affect everyone in the form of food prices.

And I don't think we'd be flinging the borders open either, if that happens, for all those big cities and larger population base some find attractive. We might instead be wanting our own southern border fence.

I don't like the cold - at least I don't like it as cold as it gets here. But there's more to the possibility of a warmer Canada than just the good stuff, like a longer swimming season.
***** I could have swore I read that under your name. My apologies if it's misquoted. I'm running on virtually no sleep myself - I think it's high time to pick career or farm.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 06-30-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
on a side note down town vancouver has palm tree near the coast

Metro Vancouver Palm Trees-Delta BC & Tsawwassen Express Bus Ride - YouTube
LOL even get to Ride Translink bus to see them in the video
We were surprised to see 3 palm trees by the pool in the Vancouver hotel in North Van.(2008)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or