U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Default What province is more progressive/liberal: Ontario or British Columbia?

I've heard that despite BC's reputation as a left-wing, San Francisco-like place, it's actually much more conservative than people realize, especially outside of the city of Vancouver itself. Would you say it's more conservative on the whole than Ontario though?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM

234 posts, read 227,962 times
It all depends on the area. The greater Vancouver area seems to be fairly progressive and from what I understand Vancouver Island is very progressive. Other areas are more conservative and there are regions that are fairly religious. The province has tended to elect fiscally conservative socially moderate governments.

Ontario also have regions that are more conservative and areas that are more progressive. The old city of Toronto is more left-wing while the suburbs that have been amalgamated into the city are more so on the right. Ontario also tends to elect governments that are not very right wing.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
It all depends on the area. The greater Vancouver area seems to be fairly progressive and from what I understand Vancouver Island is very progressive. Other areas are more conservative and there are regions that are fairly religious. The province has tended to elect fiscally conservative socially moderate governments.

Ontario also have regions that are more conservative and areas that are more progressive. The old city of Toronto is more left-wing while the suburbs that have been amalgamated into the city are more so on the right. Ontario also tends to elect governments that are not very right wing.
Would you say both provinces are still more 'progressive' than even the most liberal parts of the States though?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Would you say both provinces are still more 'progressive' than even the most liberal parts of the States though?
Don't know.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 PM

9,474 posts, read 10,086,012 times
They are roughly equivalent on this front. It really depends on where you are within them. Both are huge and diverse.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM

1,654 posts, read 1,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I would say they are about equal with places like Vermont and Massachusetts.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM

242 posts, read 213,121 times
Ontario and BC would both rank in the top 10 most liberal jurisdictions in North America. Of course both provinces have pockets of Conservatives, but overall I would say after Quebec, both BC and Ontario are among the most liberal provinces in Canada. If you were to compare them... I would say they would be almost equal.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM

1,132 posts, read 874,942 times
BC's virtually two distinct regions, politically. The lower mainland and Vancouver Island are among the most liberal areas of the country, from my experience. On the other hand, the Chilcotin and Ft. St. John's/Dawson Creek regions are probably the most politically conservative I've seen in this country.

I would imagine Ontario to be similarly diverse, though I'm less familiar with it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,703,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
BC's virtually two distinct regions, politically. The lower mainland and Vancouver Island are among the most liberal areas of the country, from my experience. On the other hand, the Chilcotin and Ft. St. John's/Dawson Creek regions are probably the most politically conservative I've seen in this country.

I would imagine Ontario to be similarly diverse, though I'm less familiar with it.
I'd agree with this about BC. Add to that the coastal northwest regions - Bella Coola and villages on up the coast to Haida Gwaii, Kitimat, Prince Rupert, Terrace, then into the central north interior towns in the Bulkley Valley, around Smithers, Houston, Hazleton - these are all politically liberal areas (typically NDP), but socially and non-politically they are still very conservative people with a lot of refreshingly old-fashioned standards and values. If you know what I mean.

I am not familiar enough with Ontario to comment on its diversity.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-09-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM

The 4 Atlantic provinces are likely more left-wing then BC and Ontario on many issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada