U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,550,077 times

Advertisements

What do Canadians think of the military? Do they worship/unconditionally revere the troops like Americans do? Do they have a guarded respect for them? Or do they downright dislike the military?

Obviously Canadians are a group of 35 million and will have differing opinions, but what is the sentiment towards the armed forces there like generally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM

903 posts, read 2,166,697 times
Ontario Highway 401 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Interesting, I don't know if you'd ever see that kind of thing in America.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 PM

20,685 posts, read 25,784,834 times
Growing up in Canada 20 or 30 years ago the Canadian military was widely seen as a bit of a joke. Not because of the people in it (who have always been highly regarded), but because they were ill-equipped and underpaid by the government. To be quite honest, there was still a silent but passive respect for the military - and most people who didn't have a military person in the family didn't give it much thought.

One of the longest-standing Canadian national myths and sources of pride is that the Canadian Forces may not be the best-equipped, but that they are the best-trained fighting force in the world.

But in the last 10 years the Canadian military has really come to the forefront, and some might say the country has become more militaristic, in-your-face and cocky in its identity as a result (this is not the only factor in this though). Equipment issues are not as critical as they used to be, although we still spend less than many smaller countries (think Australia).

Those Highway 401 tributes are quite honestly not something I would have expected to see in Canada 15-20 years ago...

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM

As far as supporting the troops even though you disagree with the mission (as with the US in Iraq in 2003) this is usually not much of an issue in Canada as we have been far less active on the military front. Most Canadian military actions since WW2 have been UN peacekeeping missions, with only a few exceptions.

The mission in Aghanistan that started 10 years ago has been one of these exceptions, and for this one you have had a US-style ''disagree with us being there, but if we have to be there we support the troops'' from most opponents in Canada.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,791,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What do Canadians think of the military? Do they worship/unconditionally revere the troops like Americans do? Do they have a guarded respect for them? Or do they downright dislike the military?

Obviously Canadians are a group of 35 million and will have differing opinions, but what is the sentiment towards the armed forces there like generally?

Canadians do not do like Americans do; otherwise, they'd be Americans, nicht wahr?

That being said, there is a considerable range of opinion and view among Canadians in regard to the Forces ("the military"). An important consideration is that between the Boer War and the present Afghanistan debacle, the Canadian Forces have not fought any blatantly stupid imperial wars - to paraphrase dear old Otto von Biscuit, Saigon wasn't worth the bones of a single Princess Patricia.

While GIs were acquiring various bad habits propping up a variety of equatorial tyrannies in the hope they'd eventually produce a decent baseball team, Canadian troops were busy acquiring a reputation for virtuously peacekeeping "lesser breeds without the law" in blue helmets. In consequence, H.M. Canadian Forces have a generally better image in the public mind.

That, and they have NCOs who know their business, unlike the bloody Yanks.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

But in the last 10 years the Canadian military has really come to the forefront, and some might say the country has become more militaristic, in-your-face and cocky in its identity as a result (this is not the only factor in this though). Equipment issues are not as critical as they used to be, although we still spend less than many smaller countries (think Australia).

Those Highway 401 tributes are quite honestly not something I would have expected to see in Canada 15-20 years ago...
Am I the only person who actually finds it a little bit disturbing? I mean being proud of your grandpa's medals is one thing, but that kind of procession seems um, I hate to say it but almost fascist in nature?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,791,083 times
Quote:
Am I the only person who actually finds it a little bit disturbing? I mean being proud of your grandpa's medals is one thing, but that kind of procession seems um, I hate to say it but almost fascist in nature?
I wouldn't worry too much unless the Van-Doos change their regimental march from Vive la Canadienne to the
Badenweiler.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:

No one in Canada would dare criticize the 401 tributes I'd say...

But there is some more broad criticism of the new, more militaristic and cocksure Canada. Mostly in Quebec (big surprise) and in some other circles as well. But you have to careful these days. The troop support yellow ribbon thingies on cars are pretty ubiquitous, you know...

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No one in Canada would dare criticize the 401 tributes I'd say...

But there is some more broad criticism of the new, more militaristic and cocksure Canada. Mostly in Quebec (big surprise) and in some other circles as well. But you have to careful these days. The troop support yellow ribbon thingies on cars are pretty ubiquitous, you know...
Maybe I should stay in the USA then, part of the reason I desperately want to move to Canada is the militarism here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada