Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Canada become more or less American over time?
Canada is becoming less American compared to several decades ago 16 22.54%
Canada has stayed about the same amount different from America 19 26.76%
Canada is more American than it was a few decades ago 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM

1,328 posts, read 3,163,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Toronto and Vancouver are different parts of the country but they have a collective "feeling" that say Vancouver and Seattle do not have despite being closer together. No matter what, nationality ties things together. Hard to describe..if you're perceptive and have spent lots of time in both countries, than you'd know what I mean.
Demographically, the two cities are similar, and also you have a large amount of movement between the two, especially with like celebrities.

I do think the younger people in more rural parts of Canada, such as rural Ontario, don't seem as Americanized though. There are people under 20 who still have strong accents there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM

61 posts, read 110,075 times
Do you think any of the 'ugly' aspects of America, like materialism and militant Christianity are seeping into Canadian culture?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM

455 posts, read 1,125,492 times
You have to understand where both of those aspects come from. They were both ingrained in the US from the country's earliest days. Those are two aspects (much more so the religious fervour aspect) that has had much less of a development in canada than in the us.

As for just religion, seeing as the US itself is actually becoming less religious it's unlikely any imported religion awakening will end up taking place in canada.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 AM

61 posts, read 110,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
You have to understand where both of those aspects come from. They were both ingrained in the US from the country's earliest days. Those are two aspects (much more so the religious fervour aspect) that has had much less of a development in canada than in the us.

As for just religion, seeing as the US itself is actually becoming less religious it's unlikely any imported religion awakening will end up taking place in canada.
That's a good point. I think that while about 70% of Americans are religious, the percentage probably drops to about 60% when you're only talking about the 2/3 of Americans that are younger than 50 and thus the foreseeable future of this country. If you're talking say, people under 50 in the West and Northeast US it's probably only about 50% if not even lower. Young people even teens in the Midwest and South still seem pretty religious though I'm sure even in that demographic irreligion is growing, the Amazing Atheist for example is from Louisiana.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,132,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busch View Post
Do you think any of the 'ugly' aspects of America, like materialism and militant Christianity are seeping into Canadian culture?
I think, the culture of "militant Christianity" in the US will pretty much die out with the baby boomer generation.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,760,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busch View Post
Militant Christianity? Where did you come up with that one? Christians are considered a scourge in secular Canadian society...We are loathed. Canada has become so secular that most do not even know what Christianity really is....Materialism exists everywhere...we live in a material world. You ask about Canadian culture- there really is no culture...It's just a strange grey soup...that most tolerate and are forced to swallow. Militant and aggressive atheism is "seeping" into Canadian culture....If you believe in anything at all...You had better keep your mouth shut...or you will find yourself unemployable...and in social exile.

Muslims who take advantage of our liberalism and political correctness...are gaining more power- They set up prayer rooms in public schools and are supported by the state...Christians and Jew are pounced on by this liberal entity...and are considered things of the past that should be gotten rid of... As for being more like "ugly" America...we have a clean and attractive face...but the body of Canadian society is filthy...You so much as say that you find gays unpleasant...You are out of a job...Recently a ball player wrote a gay slur on his eye black to **** off other players...The fined him 80 thousand dollars and donated the money to some special interest gay group....No- Canada is twice as "ugly" as America...we just have better makeup artists.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I think, the culture of "militant Christianity" in the US will pretty much die out with the baby boomer generation.
The title or the name "Christian" might die out with the baby boomers...but the values of this mindset will still persist through our children...for generations to come- so you can forget that....One of my daughters works for an NGO...she herself might not consider herself a "Christian"..but she is one- and has the purpose and the value of one...She generates hundreds of thousands of dollars that help children and families all over the world...If it were not for me the baby booming militant Christian..She would not exist in her present state and the world would be worse off---It's the militant atheists that you should worry about.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,132,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The title or the name "Christian" might die out with the baby boomers...but the values of this mindset will still persist through our children...for generations to come- so you can forget that....One of my daughters works for an NGO...she herself might not consider herself a "Christian"..but she is one- and has the purpose and the value of one...She generates hundreds of thousands of dollars that help children and families all over the world...If it were not for me the baby booming militant Christian..She would not exist in her present state and the world would be worse off---It's the militant atheists that you should worry about.
Chill out. I was not predicting the end of Christianity. Don't take the name "Christian" out of context of my post. In addition, Christian and Christian are two different things, if you know what I mean. Religion and faith are two different things. I'm not sure which one is YOU are talking about. And, there is also extremism in every religion. And it can be very dangerous even if meant with best intentions.

I think, you completely missed my point.

In any case, the expression "militant Christianity" may mean totally different things for you, for me or for anybody else.

By the way, there is someting "militant" about your post(s).

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 09-20-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,707,397 times
Christianity isn't disappearing by a long shot!

Matthew 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Chill out. I was not predicting the end of Christianity. Don't take the name "Christian" out of context of my post. In addition, Christian and Christian are two different things, if you know what I mean. Religion and faith are two different things. I'm not sure which one is YOU are talking about. And, there is also extremism in every religion. And it can be very dangerous even if meant with best intentions.

I think, you completely missed my point.

In any case, the expression "militant Christianity" may mean totally different things for you, for me or for anybody else.

By the way, there is someting "militant" about your post(s).
Militant? Yah - it's more like malicious in my case..but my intentions are good...atheism is growing as a religion..Those who embrace it imagine themselves as being more sophisticated..and progressive...Yet most atheists that I have met know almost nothing about ancient knowledge..They like to have cute phrases like "sky god" and imagine themselves as intellectuals. Maybe what you meant by "militant" Christians are the fanatics..who do not grasp the ancient concepts fully and belong to Christian cults. I have a brother in law like that....He goes out of his way to justify his greed and selfishness through his all deserving Christianity...The kind of son that tosses his dying mother a 100 bucks and walks away whispering "infidel"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada