Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Canada become more or less American over time?
Canada is becoming less American compared to several decades ago 16 22.54%
Canada has stayed about the same amount different from America 19 26.76%
Canada is more American than it was a few decades ago 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
AJ it might be coming faster than you think as it looks like we already have at least one teabagger trying to spread the hate....
Well, let's do all we can to prevent this from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
i think the younger generation is increasingly more Americanized. There are many US subcultures though (preppy/ cheerleader-Varsity/ African-American etc) that stay within the borders and thus, you dont really see there in the younger ppl sphere or "style"
The older people are noticeably different from the US counterparts.

I've spent sufficient time in Canada and it has a different feeling, imo people also look a little different (there are certain "looks" you see in Canada that you dont really see in the US, and vice versa). The older people tend to look much more "British"...the people in general tend to look a little earthier. I people-watch alot.

Toronto and Vancouver are different parts of the country but they have a collective "feeling" that say Vancouver and Seattle do not have despite being closer together. No matter what, nationality ties things together. Hard to describe..if you're perceptive and have spent lots of time in both countries, than you'd know what I mean.
Earthy? You mean natural? I've never heard of the term being used as an adjective...

Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,777 times
Does Canada have cheerleaders, football culture, proms, rednecks etc these days? I think of all of those things as being extremely American.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Does Canada have cheerleaders, football culture, proms, rednecks etc these days? I think of all of those things as being extremely American.
Cheerleaders? Yes, but I don't think the scene is remotely as big or as overblown as it appears to be in the States.

Football culture? Yes, particularly in Western Canada, but again, I'm of the impression that it's somewhat more subdued north of the border.

Proms? They were called grads where I grew up, but, yes, they existed. Depending on the part of the country, they might be calling them proms with increasing frequency or they could have been calling them proms or something else all along.

Rednecks? Yep.

Canadian culture is an awful lot closer to American culture than many Canadians are willing to admit.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
All of our cultures are blending.

People are doing Yoga, driving Japanese cars, talking on South Korean cell phones, listening to British music, watching American movies, eating Chinese food, shopping at German grocery store chains.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
All of our cultures are blending.

People are doing Yoga, driving Japanese cars, talking on South Korean cell phones, listening to British music, watching American movies, eating Chinese food, shopping at German grocery store chains.
I would sort of agree on generalizing most of them, EXCEPT for the bolded ones, as they're much more based on individual preferences than others. i.e.) Not everyone listens to metal and rock ; German store chains? Haven't got a clue which ones are actually German other than some of the auto companies

Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
German store chains? Haven't got a clue which ones are actually German
I'd imagine that he has Aldi in mind, which is big in Western Europe and which has made inroads in the States over the last decade.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:01 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,796 times
Canada is considered to be like USA without the batteries according to some.

Canada is laid back and calm version of USA, but still seeking to find an identity.

I love both Canada and the USA

Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
please please keep those tacky things out of Canada.
And all the "sex" which is everywhere in TV, movies, music. I don't know why pop culture has to be filled with sex.

Do Canadians students have proms and act like they are the highlight of their entire life?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Other than the Grey Cup, I have never heard that football is big here the way it is in the US. Do we even have high school football? I never have heard a thing about cheerleaders here. The sport I hear about is hockey. All my nephews and some of my nieces belong or have belonged to hockey teams.

I hear about 'grad.' Not proms. I don't think that it is quite as big a deal as in the US although it seems to have grown more in importance but these days, unlike in my day, they have 'grads' from kindergarten and from junior high.

Every country has a version of rednecks, at least what I understand rednecks to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada