Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM

233 posts, read 538,484 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of universities or colleges in Canada that offer certificates in city/urban planning, or something along those lines? I've been trying to look up some information on urban planning but it's difficult because depending on the university or college they have similar programs listed under different names, and under different disciplines.

Following the completion of my degree I was planning on moving to the Ottawa area for a few years. However, I would enjoy trying to complete a certificate in the area of urban planning, so depending on the program I am now thinking I would move to a city where I could do such a program. I'd also be willing to do it online, though I'd prefer doing that through a Canadian school.

I figured many people know what sort of programs are offered at schools in their city so therefore it may be easier to ask the question here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
Does anybody know of universities or colleges in Canada that offer certificates in city/urban planning, or something along those lines? I've been trying to look up some information on urban planning but it's difficult because depending on the university or college they have similar programs listed under different names, and under different disciplines.

Following the completion of my degree I was planning on moving to the Ottawa area for a few years. However, I would enjoy trying to complete a certificate in the area of urban planning, so depending on the program I am now thinking I would move to a city where I could do such a program. I'd also be willing to do it online, though I'd prefer doing that through a Canadian school.

I figured many people know what sort of programs are offered at schools in their city so therefore it may be easier to ask the question here.
Yeah, I think both UBC and Simon Fraser University in Vancouver have Urban planning programs. I also know for a fact that Université de Montréal has one.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yeah, I think both UBC and Simon Fraser University in Vancouver have Urban planning programs. I also know for a fact that Université de Montréal has one.
BC is amongst the best in the country.
I follow this site "Gordon Price".

Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM

250 posts, read 643,019 times
I was talking to a girl this last weekend who is enrolled in an Urban Planning degree program at Concordia. I am not sure if they offer a post-grad certificate, but it might be worth checking out.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
ryerson university (in downtown toronto) has an urban planing degree. i don't know about any certificate program though...

Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 AM

233 posts, read 538,484 times
Getting a certificate seems to be a bit of an issue, and there is no way I'm doing another degree.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM

179 posts, read 830,429 times
McGill has a masters degree in Urban Planning, might not be a certificate per se, but you can probably enroll since you already have a bachelor's degree. I'm also interested in studying Urban Planning with perhaps a masters in Transportation/Environmental planning. Ideally I'd like to study at Université de Montréal

School of Urban Planning | School of Urban Planning - McGill University

Btw if anyone here is an Urban Planner I'd love to know more info regarding your personal experience as well as employment opportunities/salary range, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada