U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Will canada surpass California in population?
Yes, I think so 15 46.88%
No, California will always have more people than Canada 11 34.38%
California has more people than Canada? WTF? 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,230,317 times
Default Will Canada surpass California in population?

Canada has about 35 million, California about 38 million. California isn't really growing anymore, Canada is growing because of immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM

2,783 posts, read 4,779,197 times
Just document some of the extra 12 million that are there...

Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM

3,558 posts, read 3,252,679 times
I'm not sure. California has a slightly higher birthrate then Canada (I googled) and both seem pretty attractive for immigrants. I'm not sure I know enough about California and its problems and strengths to judge what'll happen.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM

584 posts, read 387,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Canada has about 35 million, California about 38 million. California isn't really growing anymore, Canada is growing because of immigration.
The bolded statement is incorrect.

Also, it seems like California will continue to have more people into the future.

In the year 2050 the population of California is projected to be ~60m and the population of Canada is projected to be ~40m.

California's population to hit 60 million by 2050 | Reuters (This is a fairly old article so the projections could have changed but, even if this were true, I would doubt that they would result in Canada having more people)

The Canadian Atlas Online

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM

396 posts, read 354,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
The bolded statement is incorrect.

Also, it seems like California will continue to have more people into the future.

In the year 2050 the population of California is projected to be ~60m and the population of Canada is projected to be ~40m.

California's population to hit 60 million by 2050 | Reuters (This is a fairly old article so the projections could have changed but, even if this were true, I would doubt that they would result in Canada having more people)

The Canadian Atlas Online
Meh I got a funny feeling the water table issue in cali will stunt it`s growth sooner than you`d think.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Status: "Vote NO on Issue 11 - 8.21 more mills we can't afford!" (set 5 days ago)

1,561 posts, read 1,067,561 times
Hi all--

It may take some significant time (30-50 years) but it will happen eventually barring some major calamity. California, as a state through its policies and politics are largely becoming dominated by one party, for better or worse. The economic situation remains and will be far better in Canada than in California, which is primarily the result of government policy. California is embarking on enormously expensive programs such as renewable energy, high speed rails, energy efficiency mandates, etc. While these may be good, and I'm all about saving the planet, all of this stuff costs money - money which California doesn't have. Canada retains large primary industries such as logging and crude oil which will provide large amounts of foreign (read: U.S.) currency for decades to come, which will continue to fuel relative economic prosperity. IIRC Canada brought its debts and deficits under control and total interest-bearing debt remains relatively low, at some ~40% of GDP. Not something that the US government can say with the policies of both Bush II and Obama. Plus California's cities are going belly-up one by one. Again, not something happening in Canada.

All of these economic issues will add up to a stagnating population count, perhaps in the 40-45 million range around 2020. I foresee the 'wave' of Mexican and Central American immigrants slowing to a trickle in the next 20-30 years as the economy in Mexico continues to develop, thus removing the incentive to hop the border. Of course, the Canadian government could just as easily make the wheels fall off in the future, so we'll see.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,527,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

California is embarking on enormously expensive programs such as renewable energy, high speed rails, energy efficiency mandates, etc. While these may be good, and I'm all about saving the planet, all of this stuff costs money - money which California doesn't have.
Isn't Canada doing the same, I mean renewable energy etc? At least Ontario is.

What's wrong with high speed rails? I think it is a bold and forward looking strategy and I applaud it. You should know gas price is never gonna go back to its low levels, and it is shameful that a trip from Toronto to Montreal takes 5.5 hours.
Someday hopefully not to far away when gas price hits $10 a gallon, we will realize being stuck with our personal vehichles with no alternative is not such a sweet thing.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Status: "Vote NO on Issue 11 - 8.21 more mills we can't afford!" (set 5 days ago)

1,561 posts, read 1,067,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Isn't Canada doing the same, I mean renewable energy etc? At least Ontario is.

What's wrong with high speed rails? I think it is a bold and forward looking strategy and I applaud it. You should know gas price is never gonna go back to its low levels, and it is shameful that a trip from Toronto to Montreal takes 5.5 hours.
Someday hopefully not to far away when gas price hits $10 a gallon, we will realize being stuck with our personal vehichles with no alternative is not such a sweet thing.
Hi botticelli--

The difference is Canada, because of its exports (of oil primarily), has the much-needed hard currency to spend on such a venture. California doesn't. I welcome all sorts of renewable energy and transportation - but the economics degree in me screams that there has to be the money to build it, first. Because I certainly don't relish the thought of being stuck on the 401 at rush hour (which I have the misfortune of doing once). I ended up buying just enough fuel in Canada to get me back to the Ammex duty-free shop in Detroit because I was appalled at paying the equivalent of $5.50 a gallon.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM

584 posts, read 387,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Meh I got a funny feeling the water table issue in cali will stunt it`s growth sooner than you`d think.
Two words. Desalination plants.

I really think that it is going to be the only alternative going forward. They're already building several all over Cali.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM

454 posts, read 249,054 times
Hispanics of which California will quite likely form a majority population by 2050 have much higher birth rates than Canadians or the immigrant groups who most settle in canada (asians).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada