U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,087,295 times

Advertisements

From what I've seen on a map, driving from one end of Canada to the other doesn't look as easy as doing the same in the United States. My atlas is a few years old, and it didn't show any Interstate standard (divided, limited access) highways from one end to the other in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM

9,358 posts, read 13,105,260 times
For a Cross Country Journey you Just take the Trans Canada Highway #1 and you are good to go..

The Trans-Canada Highway (French: Route Transcanadienne) is a federal-provincial highway system that travels through all ten provinces of Canada. It is, along with the Trans-Siberian Highway and Australia's Highway 1, one of the world's longest national highways, with the main route spanning 8,030 km (4,990 mi).

The system was approved by the Trans-Canada Highway Act of 1949,with construction commencing in 1950. The highway officially opened in 1962, and was completed in 1971. The highway system is recognizable by its distinctive white-on-green maple leaf route markers.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway

Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,249,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
From what I've seen on a map, driving from one end of Canada to the other doesn't look as easy as doing the same in the United States. My atlas is a few years old, and it didn't show any Interstate standard (divided, limited access) highways from one end to the other in Canada.
It's fairly simple actually. The TCH-1 is a four-lane divided highway from Victoria to its ferry, then through Vancouver eastwards and through the Coquihalla. Between the end of the Coquihalla and the eastern edge of the Rockies in Alberta, the TCH turns into a two lane road to maneuver through the mountains well. After this, the TCH-1 is a four-lane divided highway with some freeway instances east all the way to just short of the Ontario border in Manitoba. The TCH then goes back to a two-lane and splits into two separate roads depending on how you want to go. If you go down through Toronto, you'll have plenty of multilane limited access highways in the 400 highways in Ontario and the Québec Autoroutes. You can choose to bypass these areas on the true TCH which will remain two-lane until Ottawa/l'Outaouais. After passing Montréal, you will have interstate-standard autoroutes with access to the NB border (they are working on upgrading a section that is still two-lane on Autoroute 85/QC-185 if I remember correctly).

Through the entirety of NB, you have an interstate-standard TCH. If you take a sidetrip to PEI... that's pretty much all two-lane, with a few exceptions around Charlottetown. In Nova Scotia, you have interstate-standard TCH to Truro, then NS-102 is the same down to Halifax, while you have interstate-standard TCH 104 until several kms east of New Glasgow, where it goes down to a two/three-lane road. This continues pretty much through eastern Nova Scotia, with a few small exceptions near Sydney... then you have the ferry, and Newfoundland is almost all two/three-lane except for short periods near Grand Falls-Windsor and Gander, then again in and around St. John's.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:50 AM

838 posts, read 1,088,119 times
I once hitch-hiked from Vancouver to Thunder Bay. It's only about half the route but it was an experience

Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 AM

33,843 posts, read 29,299,216 times
My girlfriend and I drove to Alaska from Connecticut via the Trans Canada Highway and the Alaska Highway back in 1968. We were tent camping the entire trip. I still have the memories of the trip and am still married to the same girl.

If we can affford it the next trip will be to drive/ferry to Newfoundland for a month or so. I figure September after the kids are back in school to be a good time for decent (aka not snowing) weather on "The Rock".

Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM

8,995 posts, read 4,915,467 times
I've driven across the country lots of times. Being the proud Canadian I am it really hurts me that our one and only "Federal highway" across the nation really sucks big time compared to the US interstate. In many places it's no better than a US county road. It's hard to believe but you have to drive right through the middle of a few cities alomg the route. Montreal and Calgary being the worst bottlenecks. It'd freakin dangerous road through most of BC and is presently being upgraded to 4 lanes in a lot of areas.

Having said all of that I can also say that if you are not in a hurry it's a beautiful drive to be sure.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 PM

10,209 posts, read 11,186,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I've driven across the country lots of times. Being the proud Canadian I am it really hurts me that our one and only "Federal highway" across the nation really sucks big time compared to the US interstate. In many places it's no better than a US county road. It's hard to believe but you have to drive right through the middle of a few cities alomg the route. Montreal and Calgary being the worst bottlenecks. It'd freakin dangerous road through most of BC and is presently being upgraded to 4 lanes in a lot of areas.

Having said all of that I can also say that if you are not in a hurry it's a beautiful drive to be sure.
The bypass of Montreal (Autoroute 30) should be open this fall I think. Driving through the city really sucks as you said.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 PM

312 posts, read 482,739 times
It's pretty tough. It would probably take around a week with stopping but it would definitely be an experience.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,949,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

.... It's freakin dangerous road through most of BC and is presently being upgraded to 4 lanes in a lot of areas.
LOL. And here I always just thought it was beautiful and an exciting challenge. If you think it's dangerous driving it in BC then I guess I would be bored stiff driving all of the rest of it east of the Rockies.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 AM

3,190 posts, read 2,793,308 times
Not all across Canada - I've driven from Manitoba to the west coast several times and east as far as Ottawa. But I would like to do the whole thing one day. The Longest Road is a documentary about the Trans Canada Highway which is worth seeing, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada