U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
 
330 posts, read 450,484 times
Reputation: 341

Advertisements

Hello,

Currently live in sunny and dirty Southern CA. My wife and I are both asians, 32 years old and we are considering leaving USA. Main reason is we do not like what we are seeing economically, politically, and everything in between. Also it's frustrating seeing so many illegal immigrants running around claiming our hard earned tax dollars and ruining neighborhoods. What cities have considerable asian population? I am a naturalized American citizen and wife is a permanent resident. As with USA taxes are high in Canada, but at least you get something in return unlike here in USA. If you have made this transition please chime in, I'd like to hear from you.

 
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 PM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times
Reputation: 815
Vancouver has a lot of Asians, but the inequality there is pretty disturbing and it's extremely expensive to live in. I'd suggest Toronto or somewhere nearby in Ontario.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
 
242 posts, read 438,852 times
Reputation: 233
Come to Toronto... lots of different neighborhoods and has a large Asian population. Check it out...
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Reputation: 4877
Vancouver is of course the epicentre of Asian culture in Canada as North America's most culturally and ethnically Asian metropole, but despite its beauty it is not the right fit for every person. What kind of work do you do? Do you qualify to immigrate to Canada?

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Aside from there being Asians around (Canada has lots of asians, but is this a must?) what kind of a lifestyle do you seek in Canada and what sort of values and priorities do you have? It's a massive, heavily regionalized country. Are you big city people or can you live in smaller urban centres? What about small town or rural living? Do you have kids? What kinds of hobbies do you like to pursue? Do you speak French?

I'm afraid I can't just sum up my entire country with all of it's diversity and history in one go with any kind of depth, you'll have to ask some specific questions about certain aspects of it (or browse other threads on this forum to get little snapshots of Canadian life).
 
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
 
13 posts, read 72,773 times
Reputation: 45
It's very expensive in Canada compared to the USA, and the income is often less than US (especially compared to California), we are both Asians - and we found raising a family here is much harder than in the US because of the cost. Just looking at housing cost, tax, gas price, food and everything else - and every Canadian will tell you it is more expensive here.

Why not looking at other US cities for a change? Also, I don't think you are qualified for immigration unless you have a PhD or if you are a doctor. The Federal Skilled Workers program is already closed, so Canada has pretty much closed its doors because too many immigrants can't find jobs here.

Many industries do not exist here - and only very few headquarters are here - American HQs are located in the US and support Canadian market from the US.

Have u been here at all? Take a trip and take a look first, you may be surprised that grass is not always greener - there are much more Canadians moving to the US than the other way around, simply due to the difference in the cost.

Forget about healthcare, it's something Canadians brag about - let me tell u something, the cost I save in gas price if I live in the US each year is enough to pay for the healthcare in the US, not to mention savings in tax, clothing (because of the long winter) and everything else...Toronto is the best city to choose, there are no jobs in Vancouver - it's ruled by rich Mainland Chinese people wondering around and gambling whole day..
 
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneycat View Post

Why not looking at other US cities for a change? Also, I don't think you are qualified for immigration unless you have a PhD or if you are a doctor. The Federal Skilled Workers program is already closed, so Canada has pretty much closed its doors because too many immigrants can't find jobs here.
Apparently they're re-opening the program next year. But yeah from what I read, it sounds like they plan to be even more picky about who they let in, like empathasizing Canadian work experience over foreign. How the f*** can anyone immigrate to Canada when they expect them to have work experience in Canada without ever having even lived there or been eligible to work there? Pretty soon you'll have to be a PhD, celeb or a millionaire to qualify to immigrate to Canada.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14123
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Apparently they're re-opening the program next year. But yeah from what I read, it sounds like they plan to be even more picky about who they let in, like empathasizing Canadian work experience over foreign. How the f*** can anyone immigrate to Canada when they expect them to have work experience in Canada without ever having even lived there or been eligible to work there? Pretty soon you'll have to be a PhD, celeb or a millionaire to qualify to immigrate to Canada.
Oh, that's easy. They'll be considering people who had already been approved and worked here on visitors work visas or gone to school here in the past and then applied to immigrate or for permanent residency afterwards. You would not believe how many new Canadian citizens get here that way. It's the smart way for a person to decide if they want to immigrate to any new country - go live in the country and work or go to school there for a while before making that decision. It's a real door opener if ever there was one.

We rent out a couple of rooms in our house to a steady string of foreign visitors and students who come to visit for a year and work (most of them go to work at Whistler but not all) or else they are going to university here - they have a network and when one leaves to return home at the end of their year another one just arriving moves in. Several of them applied for Canadian citizenship or PR while they were here or shortly after they went back home. In all cases we were asked for letters of references attesting to their good character, sincerity and reliability.

.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneycat View Post
It's very expensive in Canada compared to the USA, and the income is often less than US (especially compared to California), we are both Asians - and we found raising a family here is much harder than in the US because of the cost. Just looking at housing cost, tax, gas price, food and everything else - and every Canadian will tell you it is more expensive here.

Why not looking at other US cities for a change? Also, I don't think you are qualified for immigration unless you have a PhD or if you are a doctor. The Federal Skilled Workers program is already closed, so Canada has pretty much closed its doors because too many immigrants can't find jobs here.

Many industries do not exist here - and only very few headquarters are here - American HQs are located in the US and support Canadian market from the US.

Have u been here at all? Take a trip and take a look first, you may be surprised that grass is not always greener - there are much more Canadians moving to the US than the other way around, simply due to the difference in the cost.

Forget about healthcare, it's something Canadians brag about - let me tell u something, the cost I save in gas price if I live in the US each year is enough to pay for the healthcare in the US, not to mention savings in tax, clothing (because of the long winter) and everything else...Toronto is the best city to choose, there are no jobs in Vancouver - it's ruled by rich Mainland Chinese people wondering around and gambling whole day..
I'm curious about your situation - you have changed your tune so much from your 3 previous posts you made in 2009. It is such a contradiction from when you were immigrating from Australia in 2009 (because Australia was too expensive for you) to Canada, which you hailed as a land of opportunity. Has Canada really proven to be such a terrible disappointment for you and the grass not as green as you were anticipating and are you now hoping to use Canada as a doorway by which to immigrate to USA?

You are incorrect about the numbers of Canadians moving to USA vs. Americans moving to Canada - there are more Americans flocking to Canada in the 10's of thousands by comparison due to the number one problem in America being unemployment and recession. There was a topic about that here in July this year:

Americans moving to Canada

Perhaps you missed it. It is worthwhile the OP reading that topic too as it addresses some of the OP's question.

Ottawa approved 34,185 U.S residents in 2011 and 35,060 were approved in 2010. By comparison, fewer than 20,000 Canadians moved to the U.S. over the past two years.

.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Ottawa approved 34,185 U.S residents in 2011 and 35,060 were approved in 2010. By comparison, fewer than 20,000 Canadians moved to the U.S. over the past two years.

.
Just going to quote my response in the thread you linked:

Considering the US has a population of approximately 311,500,000, 34,000 Visas sounds average (0.00010915% of the population) Conversely Canada at 34,100,000 and average of 10,000 Visa applications the past two years (0.00029326% of the population) Hopefully the numbers are about equal in the coming years, because Canada is still losing a larger portion of its population in comparison.

So per capita more Canadians are moving to the US than Vice Versa.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14123
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Just going to quote my response in the thread you linked:

Considering the US has a population of approximately 311,500,000, 34,000 Visas sounds average (0.00010915% of the population) Conversely Canada at 34,100,000 and average of 10,000 Visa applications the past two years (0.00029326% of the population) Hopefully the numbers are about equal in the coming years, because Canada is still losing a larger portion of its population in comparison.

So per capita more Canadians are moving to the US than Vice Versa.
You may be right about that at this time but I have a sneaking suspicion that within the next couple of years there will be much less Canadians moving to USA and a greater increase in Americans moving to Canada. Let us make a mental note of this and address it in another 2 years to see what the numbers are then.

.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top