U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Your view on quebec seperation
I am very opposed to the Idea 18 45.00%
I am for it but keeping some sort of union between the two 1 2.50%
I am for total separation no union or special relationship 13 32.50%
I don't feel one way or the other 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,863,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The big questionfor this American is: Would maple syrup become even more unaffordable if Quebec were to separate? I saw some (Vermont-made) syrup in a supermarket a couple of days ago and it was over nine dollars for an 8.5 ounce bottle(about 250 ml, I guess)!
We had a few bad seasons which is why it's so pricey, but I think PQ and other parties have said they would want to maintain free trade with the US and stay a part of NATO, NAFTA and the rest of the organizations Quebec is part of now through Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM

9,119 posts, read 9,420,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I agree. Ne réveillez pas le chat qui dort.

Want some popcorn?
I am going to have a lot of trouble staying out of this one! I have to be strong!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 PM

209 posts, read 202,018 times
I voted absolutely not but for a different reason.........it would cut off Atlantic Canada.

The view of most outside Quebec has changed a lot in the last 40 years. In 1970 Montreal was still Canada's most important city and Toronto was an also-ran. Quebec's influence on the national scene was huge and received gobs of extra money from Ottawa to buy votes. Western Canada politically was completely irrelevant and probably most of all, Englisg Canadians were very insecure about their identities.

Now in 2012, Toronto is Canada's premier city, the Western provinces are more politically influencial with Quebec 's political power fading quickly, and Canadians outside of Quebec are far more secure in their culture, economy, values, and place in the world than they were. Ottawa no longer feels the need to buy Quebec votes nor pacify it's separatist voters. In the last federal election, Harper would have had a majority government even if he had never won one seat in Quebec........historically unheard of. The interesting thing is that since the beginnings of the separatist movement in the 11960s Quebecers always felt they should leave and if they don't they will be able to run the country by extortion. It worked up until about 1990 and now things have changed. As Quebec demanded more power it has seen it's influence on the national stage decline.

Most in the ROC now have the feeling of "I would be a shame if they left but I won't lose any sleep over it" except people in Atlantic Canada who would be cut off geographically and feel abandoned by fellow Canadians. There is, of course, another factor that wasn't even considered even 20 years ago.........the Natives. Quebec did not enter confederation with even half of it's current land mass and polls have been taken time and again and the desire of the Natives who compromise most of the population in the northern 50% of the province are dead set against separation.

Even if Quebec were to vote yes, it would mean nothing politically as it would end up in the courts forever and eventually it would be denied due to several reasons including the Natives. A yes vote would help one part of the country ........Ontario.

Just like last time, even if Quebec didn't or wasn't allowed to leave immigration to the province would come to a screetching halt, anglo and allophones would flee to Toronto, and major corporations would, like they did before, head down the 401. The Quebec separtist movement was the best thing that ever happened to Toronto.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 PM

6,390 posts, read 1,980,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It can be discussed civilly, but not in an internet forum with unfettered access.
This

Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM

312 posts, read 415,870 times
I chose "I don't feel one way or the other" because I am not "very" opposed to the Idea however I would still prefer it to stay with Canada.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 AM

234 posts, read 216,395 times
I would be delighted to see Quebec leave. While I think it would be disastrous for Quebec's economy I see very few negatives for the rest of Canada.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 AM

9,011 posts, read 11,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'm indifferent. I guess i'd rather it not happen, since I love Canada, but then again I'm part of a movement that's characterized by some as separatist (The Cascadia movement) so I can't really criticize them that much.

I think Quebec has it great as a part of Canada though. Not only that but I actually think Quebec is the most deeply Canadian part of Canada in many ways.
My Question since I am from B.C. is why do you want us to seperate since I do not plan to live or end up in a new Country called Cascadia and I was born and Raised in B.C. and if B.c. did seperate we would do it with Alberta, Yukon and Saskatchewan siomnce we share the same energy economy and AB and SK would need B.C. ports to expport from and do not let the Christy Clark allison Redford dispute fool you since Christy is a good as gone this upcoming election in B.C.

Not only do the people in B.C. dislike her but now the Rest of Canada see her as holding a national energy stratagy and which also had plans to find ways to cutting education cost and increasing trade between the provinces because she is one greedy person.

Were she won't do what is in the best interests of the Country while all the other premiers are working together she has isolated herself with her pile of tax payer cash that she uses to stay at 5 star hotels, and the most expensive day spas the city has and we cover the tab.

Now Quebec may seem that they want to seperate but if it came down to it acually happening I doubt they actually would since they would have no trade deals and would also have to compete with the U.S. and the rest of Canada where their exports anf imports could face tariffs on all good and make the un albe to compete with NAFTA.

Qubec would also need to export the goods outside of North America but without the U.S. and Canadian parts supply chain for the Automotive and the Aerospace industry they would Lose a good chuunk of their maufacturing sector since GM and Chrysler would move to Ontario or to the U.S...

Quebec would face high unemployment rates and a massive increase cost in food and not have much money to put into building new infasturcture projects and also face increaed energy costs and have to take huge cuts to healthcare and education and lose alot of social security benifits.

But if the people in Quebec do really want to leave then it is up to them but as for Cascadia well I do not see it happening in fact I would already vote to oppose it and be against it since Americans and Canadians would not not want to have a new Country form either.

they amounrt of people that would oppose it and the amount of lobbying and protesting of it from happing in both countires would be huge and I do not plan on having the country I was born in trun into another Country and if you really want Cascadia buy a island uninhabited in the pacific and then the people that do want to serperate to form Cascadia can then build their new country from the scratch and write Cascadia Constiution and create your own Rights and Laws that you think this new country would follow.

Remeber if a group of modren Pirates or drug smugglers decided to invade you Country you would have to defend it since without a navy or airforce Canacadia would be a easy target t hevaily armed drug catels moving in and taking waht they want and I do not know the Cancadian defence poilicy but it seesm that it is about not having any type of military even one just for the purpose of defence like the Swiss army defends itself other wise you would be easy targets and be on your own to defend your Country from all possible threats.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM

19,426 posts, read 13,864,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Quebec would face high unemployment rates and a massive increase cost in food and not have much money to put into building new infasturcture projects and also face increaed energy costs and have to take huge cuts to healthcare and education and lose alot of social security benifits.

The money would be another factor to consider, whose money would they be using in a separate Quebec?,
Canadian Dollars?
American dollars?
Some form of new Quebec money?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
they would Lose a good chuunk of their maufacturing sector since GM and Chrysler would move to Ontario or to the U.S...
GM and Chrysler are already in Ontario and the U.S. rather than in Quebec. The auto industry's presence in Quebec is miniscule.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
immigration to the province would come to a screetching halt,
Not really. There will always be people who want to immigrate to Quebec. People immigrate from Romania to Poland, from Bolivia to Argentina, and even from Mali to Senegal...

The world is a big place with loooots of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada