U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 28,077 times

Advertisements

We are a non- US Citizen family and we need some urgent advice on moving to Windsor, Ontario.
We very recently were granted Permanent residency in Canada and we live in the Detroit Metro area.
We like to move to Windsor as soon as possible as we have young kids 3 years old and 5 years old. We like to move as soon as possible so the 5 year old can go to school in Windsor. My wife is going to keep her job here in detroit Metro. I will look for work when we get there. We can live on one income fine until I find work.
My Questions are:
What areas will be good for us to look for accommodation. Need area with good schools, nice neighborhood with street with sidewalks ( so kids can ride their bikes), yard, garage. We currently spend $1300 in rent and will prefer not to spend more than this in Canada per month. I am glad to work with a realtor if someone on here is one and works in the Windsor area.

We want a place with a suburban feel with low noise, crime, close to an area that has kids activities, parks, preschools, Diversity will be a plus.

What are the good public schools for Elementary education. Will I be automatically assigned to the school close to the home

We are interested in areas that are easy to commute from to Detroit. I have heard some good things about South Windsor and

Is it advisable to buy a car in US before we move or buy one in Canada. We will be paying cash and will not have a car loan.

When do schools start?

Any other info for someone moving from the US will be appreciated.
We will also be looking for a church preferably protestant/ baptist/ pentecostal

Little questions?
About How much does it cost to register car in Canada?
Whats average cable bill
Whats average Car insurance ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,147,924 times
Hi, I live in Windsor.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can help on a few.

What areas will be good for us to look for accommodation. Need area with good schools, nice neighborhood with street with sidewalks ( so kids can ride their bikes), yard, garage. We currently spend $1300 in rent and will prefer not to spend more than this in Canada per month.We want a place with a suburban feel with low noise, crime, close to an area that has kids activities, parks, preschools, Diversity will be a plus.

Those parts I highlighted might be hard to find together. South Windsor is a great place, built mostly during the 40's and 50's, with some nice older stuff from the 20's thrown in as show homes and the few that were built when the sub divisions were just starting. You just won't find a sidwalk unless you live on one of the more major streets (which really, are still totally livable). You also arn't likely to find anything for rent in South Windsor. There are a few low rise condos/apartments in the area, but that's about it. You never know though. Give kijiji a try for that.
Although, for $1300, you could probably get a nice apartment/condo on Riverside drive,.

For noise.......honestly, get two streets in from a Major artery in any neighbourhood and it's pretty quiet around here.
For crime....... Everywhere has it's share, like every city. But it's mostly stupid petty stuff. There are VERY few places I don't feel "safe". Even though you're chance of a problem even in those areas is slim. I would say, well......anywhere south of Tecumseh road should be fine until you get out to the east end of town.

I think you're looking at the area known as Riverside. Used to be it's own town, really pretty streets with mature trees, diversity, FRONT PORCHES!!!!!!!! In an area between Lauzon Parkway, Jefferson Ave, Tecumseh Road and the river is best. There's one crap part called "the villages", and then you can keep looking east.
Church or your choosing is near by.

when does school start in 2012 in ontario - Google Maps

What are the good public schools for Elementary education. Will I be automatically assigned to the school close to the home

I'm fairly certain you will be assigned to a school or, a choice of school depending on how many are in the area. If you have a choice, John Campbell if a great elementary school, which was recently totally renovated (in the last 2 years).
But, I cannot deny the new David Sizuki school on the east end is top notch.
Check this out:
David Suzuki’s namesake school in Windsor, Ontario to raise the green bar – Daily Commercial News

We are interested in areas that are easy to commute from to Detroit. I have heard some good things about South Windsor and

Meh, Detroit is pretty accesable from anywhere Windsor. 20 minutes tops from anywhere in the city to the bridge or tunnel.

Is it advisable to buy a car in US before we move or buy one in Canada. We will be paying cash and will not have a car loan.

Just buy a car here. There is a ton of paperwork that goes along with importing a vehicle. If your current car doesn't have daytime running lights, they may make you install them.

When do schools start?

Pretty sure it's September 1 and June 30

Any other info for someone moving from the US will be appreciated.

Enjoy yourself, enjoy the beer. Welcome to Canada.

We will also be looking for a church preferably protestant/ baptist/ pentecostal

See above

Little questions?
About How much does it cost to register car in Canada?
Have about 200 bucks on ya.

Whats average cable bill

Depends what you want, really...sorry. Say about $120 for HD with some special channels with phone and stuff.

Whats average Car insurance ?

Again, it depends. I have a 21 year old Jeep, full coverage, married, no kids, $110 a month.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,645 times
Just about any car you want will be cheaper in the U.S. I am not aware of any cars that sell for less in Canada, so you might as well buy it in the U.S. before "landing" as a PR.

If you own the car BEFORE landing as a PR in Canada, you can import it tax and duty free to Canada. You will still pay the taxes and registration fees in the U.S., however. The car must have been registered and used in the U.S. prior to importing it to Canada.

Make sure the car can be imported to Canada by checking the list at Registrar of Imported Vehicles - some cars can be imported with no modifications.

The vehicle import process is pretty straightforward - there's plenty of websites out there discussing how to do it.

As for car insurance, expect anywhere from 50% to 100% more than what you pay in the U.S.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,974,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Just about any car you want will be cheaper in the U.S. I am not aware of any cars that sell for less in Canada, so you might as well buy it in the U.S. before "landing" as a PR.

If you own the car BEFORE landing as a PR in Canada, you can import it tax and duty free to Canada. You will still pay the taxes and registration fees in the U.S., however. The car must have been registered and used in the U.S. prior to importing it to Canada.

Make sure the car can be imported to Canada by checking the list at Registrar of Imported Vehicles - some cars can be imported with no modifications.

The vehicle import process is pretty straightforward - there's plenty of websites out there discussing how to do it.

As for car insurance, expect anywhere from 50% to 100% more than what you pay in the U.S.
Can someone tell me why car insurance is so much more expensive in Canada than the U.S. ?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 PM

903 posts, read 2,240,248 times
It's not always a Canada vs US thing..

I pay $600 a year for my car here in Western New York.
In New Jersey I paid about $1400 a year.
In Ontario Canada i'd be paying about the same as New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or