U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Default How strongly associated with Canada are St. Pierre and Miquelon?

Do they watch the CBC, have similar linguistic features to French Canadians, strong social and economic ties to the Great White North? Or do they have almost nothing to do with Canada?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM

3,518 posts, read 3,126,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Do they watch the CBC, have similar linguistic features to French Canadians, strong social and economic ties to the Great White North? Or do they have almost nothing to do with Canada?
No, from what I understand they're more French then the French. Their accents are French and they're culturally French, but they sometimes go to French Canadian universities for their education and alot of their stuff is imported from Canada. I think that's basically the relationship, along with a little tourism.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,086,012 times
Agree on all points with BIMBAM.

Yeah as a French-speaking Canadian they are pretty different from us. They are part of France and always have been and it shows. We all started off from the same source but being under French vs. Canadian administration for a few centuries has made a huge difference. Interestingly enough, Franco-Americans like those in New England are actually more similar to French Canadians than the people in SPM are.

I have met a few people from there who went to our universities, and a few times have heard people from SPM calling in as contestants to French Canadian TV or radio shows.

Another factor is that the closest Canadian neighbours to SPM are anglos in Newfoundland. On a proximity level they have closer ties with them than with Quebecers or even Acadians. Had they been right next door to Quebec or northern New Brunswick things might be very different.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM

20,680 posts, read 6,917,692 times
Saint Pierre, is in a weird location. I'm surprised that it can run the way it is on its own. It should just join Canada.

I don't know much about it though. Are they actually in French or are they a dependency? According to Wikipedia they use Euros which in my opinion is a bit stupid considering they are in North America.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Saint Pierre, is in a weird location. I'm surprised that it can run the way it is on its own. It should just join Canada.

I don't know much about it though. Are they actually in French or are they a dependency?
It is run like a part of France, although it does have some measure of local autonomy.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM

20,680 posts, read 6,917,692 times
Oh ok thanks for the Info. Very interesting being over 2,000 miles from France and actually being part of the country. Wouldn't like that myself but whatever they like i'm happy.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,111,116 times
Quote:
Oh ok thanks for the Info. Very interesting being over 2,000 miles from France and actually being part of the country. Wouldn't like that myself but whatever they like i'm happy.
You should look up La Réunion and Nouvelle Caledonie.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,354,547 times
Perhaps someone should also look into the economics of this territory. Is St. Pierre and Miquelon more connected with France or Canada? Where does it trade flow in and out of? What country is more important? The motherland or Canada? What I am trying to figure out is obviously there is a strong political and cultural connection with France, but what about economics?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Perhaps someone should also look into the economics of this territory. Is St. Pierre and Miquelon more connected with France or Canada? Where does it trade flow in and out of? What country is more important? The motherland or Canada? What I am trying to figure out is obviously there is a strong political and cultural connection with France, but what about economics?
It is a relatively small population - less than 10,000 I think.

I did a search and over half the stuff they import comes from Canada, and a third is from France.

Two thirds of their exports go to Canada apparently, and only 20% goes to France.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM

9,072 posts, read 11,965,829 times
Quote:

Well LA to Hawaii is 2,500 miles and nobody thinks its weird Hawaii is part of the US..
So perhaps from a SPMer's perspective, it may not nec. be weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada