U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times

Advertisements

Coming up on Tuesday ,
Marois and the Parti Quebecois out in front.
Legault and the CAQ in second
Charest and the Liberals 3rd place.
As some one who would rather have Quebec stay in Canada i've little choice but to vote Liberal.
Fortunately a win for the PQ will not result in a PQ majority so we wont have to endure a Quebec referendum on the issue of sovereignty however all bets are off if the PQ and the CAQ unite to form a coalition,both leaders are long term separatists and may see it in both their best interests to unite..

Quebec election: PQ would strengthen language laws within 100 days | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

Oh Joy

Last edited by jambo101; 08-31-2012 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM

For a topic that addresses a political situation that could well be the beginning of the end for Canadian unity the lack of responses speaks volumes as to Canadas' or Quebecs' interest in whether a party who's sole objective is to separate from Canada gets into power and then calls for a referendum on separating from Canada. Obviously a topic thats come to be viewed as much a do about nothing..i'll take the general consensus as Quebec will never separate..;And if they do?=Yawn

Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM

179 posts, read 662,589 times
A portion of people voting PQ are doing so just to get rid of the Liberals.

Question: Is there a transition time in Quebec after a new leader gets elected? Like say, Elections are in September 4. but the Premier isn't sworn in until some months later

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

I'm certainly not voting for Charest its more like i'm voting against the other 2 parties, Charest and the liberals have been in power now for 9 years and although its i tired and stale party they do represent stability/status quo which ok by me as my life at the moment is quite comfortable..

Quote:
Question: Is there a transition time in Quebec after a new leader gets elected? Like say, Elections are in September 4. but the Premier isn't sworn in until some months later
I 've never thought of that question and dont have an answer, i dont see why it wouldnt be an instantaneous transition..

Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 AM

9,529 posts, read 9,414,676 times
If I were in Quebec, I would support this party:

Parti Unité Nationale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
I think you are not getting many takers for two reasons: 1) the subject has been debated to death already and 2) many posters here are Americans who don't have strong feelings about it.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
A portion of people voting PQ are doing so just to get rid of the Liberals.

I don't believe it is a question of months. More like weeks. Not sure if this is written down officially or just usual practice.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you are not getting many takers for two reasons: 1) the subject has been debated to death already and 2) many posters here are Americans who don't have strong feelings about it.
I did post it in the Canada section thinking Canadians might have a take on the upcoming break from almost 10yrs of status quo,
As for Americans viewing the topic i dont know why they bother as they have very little of relevance to contribute on the issue and very little understanding of the potential issues that could arise.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,319,702 times
PQ often is all smoke and mirrors and I'm not too worried about separatism.
However, what should be more trobuling, is, wasted time and resources on "tongue troopers", Bill 101 being even more restrictive towards the use of English and hurting Montreal's economy, which seems to be making a comeback, since the French laws, seem pretty relaxed around there.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM

9,529 posts, read 9,414,676 times
I guess it's a lot easier to do a Hamlet and ask "To be or not to be" about separatism and language policies than it is to discuss economic issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or