Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Royal Canadian Air Farce was funny when it was the original four. That IBM vs MAC skit was funny!

I agree that Red Green was dumb.

I'm going to get stone for this, but Corner Gas was pure garbage, wasn't funny to me at all. I found Little Mosque on the Prairie funnier.

But the two worst shows , IMO, The littlest hobo and Train 48.
Corner Gas nailed small town Saskatchewan like no show I've ever seen. I was at my parents once, and an episode was one in which Oscar wore a pair of pants he found by the side of the road. My dad turned to me and said, astonished, "Holy S--t. They put your Grandpa on TV".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
So please explain to me how this is any different than the stuff, no offense, that Hollywood spits out. Almost all of TV is for 12 year old mentalities. Almost all of it is garbage. But marketing and propaganda sure does wonders!
It's probably no different than the garbage that Hollywood spits out. However, the fact that American networks make soul crushingly bad TV doesn't make the shows in question any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,548,039 times
I am kind of fond of the SF Channel's made in Canada shows. Highlander is a classic, Stargate went on forever (best prop ever) and currently Warehouse 13 provides some neat entertainment.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,472,657 times
I liked Corner Gas! It was good, wholesome TV.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,717,894 times
Does anyone have fond memories of "The Trouble With Tracy"? I read that it was supposedly set in the U.S., but would anyone believe it?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Rather a subjective topic, heres some memory jogging.
List of English-language Canadian television series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM

3,597 posts, read 3,337,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does anyone have fond memories of "The Trouble With Tracy"? I read that it was supposedly set in the U.S., but would anyone believe it?
Not fond, but I do remember it. All the episodes were set in Tracy's apartment, so all it took was a few stock shots of the New York City skyline and a typical New York apartment building, and references to New York streets and landmarks in the dialogue. Not really any different than something like WKRP in Cincinnati, which was filmed in Hollywood (not Cincinnati); or Northern Exposure, which was filmed in Washington state (not Alaska).

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Not fond, but I do remember it. All the episodes were set in Tracy's apartment, so all it took was a few stock shots of the New York City skyline and a typical New York apartment building, and references to New York streets and landmarks in the dialogue. Not really any different than something like WKRP in Cincinnati, which was filmed in Hollywood (not Cincinnati); or Northern Exposure, which was filmed in Washington state (not Alaska).

Maybe the producers intended for the show to be exported to the American market.

I read on the Internet that this show poked fun at Americans.

Anyone remember these other TV ladies?

International Women's Week: 5 Lost Canadian TV Feminist Icons - Zoomers

Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM

3,597 posts, read 3,337,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Maybe the producers intended for the show to be exported to the American market.

I read on the Internet that this show poked fun at Americans.
I don't recall that it poked fun at Americans. It was very similar to "I Love Lucy," in that it involved a ditzy wife (Tracy) and her long-suffering husband. Added into the mix was Tracy's buffoonish brother. In other words, it was a domestic comedy, poking fun at home life.

I also seem to recall that it was supposed to be exported to the US, but that had nothing to do with the show's setting in New York City. If anything, the setting was due to the writer, who actually wrote very little; instead preferring to recycle old (American) radio comedy scripts from the 1940s. If they were set in New York, well, so would be the TV show. It saved the writer time, money, and effort.

Incidentally, the show was never exported, though as I said, I think it was supposed to be. Apparently, once the American prospective buyers saw the extremely poor quality of the show (the budget was so tight, they often could only afford one take, and if that one was flubbed, it was included in the finished product anyway), they backed out of the deal.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I don't recall that it poked fun at Americans.
I think the writer who included "Tracy" as one of Canadian television's five feminist icons was joking about that!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM

196 posts, read 422,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I'm going to get stone for this, but Corner Gas was pure garbage
Ahhh, man! You ever lived rurally? I live rural and thought the show was both funny and eerily accurate.

Not to say that every plot was quality, but some were quite funny, including the "Giant Hoe" and "The Taxman".

Corner Gas - Tax Man - Part 1 - YouTube

1:25-2:40 - Pure comedic genius. The episode where Brent took over Lacey's book club was also a personal favourite.

Great Emma quote at 13:37, but the 11:40-12:22 and 13:24-on parts explain it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROzk31_uFPU

Agree the Littlest Hobo was crap.

However, this was the absolute worst:

The Cosmopolitans - Winnipeg Public Access - YouTube

Gotta love public access TV. I recommend taking a bong hit before watching the above video.

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 06-13-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada