U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,512,050 times

Advertisements

Here's my take on it (it might be off)

While Canada has a lot of newer migrants, and people are less hung up about 'race', they're more likely to equate white Canadians as the only 'true' Canadians, even sub-consciously (not all of course, but many). Even a 3rd generation Asian Canadian might be seen as a bit less genuinely Canadian.

In the US, while they are more race-conscious, once you become culturally Amercanized you are just as American, whatever your outside race.

Would you say this is generally accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 AM

958 posts, read 1,551,762 times
I know this can be a bit off-topic, but then how would you say about the assimilation in Australia compared to the US?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 AM

There seems to be some who think of 'Australians' as being Anglo-Saxon Australians, as somehow more Australian than the rest.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM

21,965 posts, read 27,436,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Here's my take on it (it might be off)

While Canada has a lot of newer migrants, and people are less hung up about 'race', they're more likely to equate white Canadians as the only 'true' Canadians, even sub-consciously (not all of course, but many). Even a 3rd generation Asian Canadian might be seen as a bit less genuinely Canadian.

In the US, while they are more race-conscious, once you become culturally Amercanized you are just as American, whatever your outside race.

Would you say this is generally accurate?
I'd say there is some truth to this but it is highly variable and evolving quickly.

Certainly in the media the days when they would refer to a Chinese-Canadian as "Chinese" and not "Canadian" are over and done with.

I think one of the reasons that "Canadian" is tough to pin down is in one of the terms you used: "culturally".

Canadian culture is all over the map, and so if people are supposed to become "culturally Canadianized", just what exactly are they supposed to latch onto? While there are some elements that are Canadian out there, it is sometimes difficult to grasp.

The mainstream in most of the country is very predominantly U.S.-dominated, and there is a lot the more traditional Canadiana that is basically just imported British stuff.

Generally speaking, Canada (outside Quebec) is today basically a cultural free-for-all, with British, immigrant, original Canadian and of course American culture all jostling against one another. Some say this provides great freedom to its citizens, but down on the floor of the coliseum what often happens is the strongest gladiator (U.S. culture) usually ends up on top and this has prevented a true Canadian culture from emerging when it should have a long time ago.

I've actually heard (I swear) someone say about an immigrant origin person, in order to confirm his integration to Canada: "No, no, he's truly Canadian. He watches Seinfeld and David Letterman just like everybody else!"

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM

3,097 posts, read 4,162,593 times
I would agree with this...it has to do with Canada's multi-cultural outlook, here you can come from an ethnic group and choose to either join other Canadians or you can just stick to your own ethnic group/culture and not really mix unless you have to (work purposes)

I feel in the US immigrants become American and that identity over rules where they came from, which to me makes sense...why move to another country only to keep your exact customs/culture from your old country? In America, 'immigrants' become proud Americans, in Canada immigrants don't change their status (it seems) your from Italy?...well then you are Italian, you just happen to live in Canada, I see this a lot especially in the GTA.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM

3,097 posts, read 4,162,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say there is some truth to this but it is highly variable and evolving quickly.

Certainly in the media the days when they would refer to a Chinese-Canadian as "Chinese" and not "Canadian" are over and done with.

I think one of the reasons that "Canadian" is tough to pin down is in one of the terms you used: "culturally".

Canadian culture is all over the map, and so if people are supposed to become "culturally Canadianized", just what exactly are they supposed to latch onto? While there are some elements that are Canadian out there, it is sometimes difficult to grasp.

The mainstream in most of the country is very predominantly U.S.-dominated, and there is a lot the more traditional Canadiana that is basically just imported British stuff.

Generally speaking, Canada (outside Quebec) is today basically a cultural free-for-all, with British, immigrant, original Canadian and of course American culture all jostling against one another. Some say this provides great freedom to its citizens, but down on the floor of the coliseum what often happens is the strongest gladiator (U.S. culture) usually ends up on top and this has prevented a true Canadian culture from emerging when it should have a long time ago.

I've actually heard (I swear) someone say about an immigrant origin person, in order to confirm his integration to Canada: "No, no, he's truly Canadian. He watches Seinfeld and David Letterman just like everybody else!"
I agree with all of this..say what you want about Quebec but its the only area IMO that has a truly unique culture. The ROC in terms of culture is a combination of Canadiana, British and mostly US.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I would agree with this...it has to do with Canada's multi-cultural outlook, here you can come from an ethnic group and choose to either join other Canadians or you can just stick to your own ethnic group/culture and not really mix unless you have to (work purposes)

I feel in the US immigrants become American and that identity over rules where they came from, which to me makes sense...why move to another country only to keep your exact customs/culture from your old country? In America, 'immigrants' become proud Americans, in Canada immigrants don't change their status (it seems) your from Italy?...well then you are Italian, you just happen to live in Canada, I see this a lot especially in the GTA.
I think it's a combination of multicultural policy and also (it's a chicken and egg thing) the fact that Canada has a lot more 'FOB' type immigrants than the US per capita. Toronto is 51% foreign born, the highest percentage in the Western world.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM

179 posts, read 663,383 times
I'll try to give my opinion as an immigrant to Canada.

The problem with English-speaking Canadians is that they don't really appreciate their culture enough and have serious security issues when it comes to this. It's quite understandable when you look at the behemoth just a few kilometers south. A lot of immigrants try to assimilate, whereas some just stay within their own circle. This has to do a lot with the immigrants level of education IMO. In Canada there is no "real pressure" to fit in and become "Canadian" as a matter of fact being from another part of the world is deemed "cool & interesting". Most people don't care that I'm a Habs fan ( ) or that I can discuss Canadian politics, they care about how "Mexico is so cool, I've been to Cancun once, you're lucky to be Mexican!"

In other words, being anything other than Canadian is cool, and everyone wants to be cool. An immigrant would be more likely to assimilate if there was a stronger sense of culture and community in English Canada, don't get me wrong, I think Canada has great things and a great culture, but if you guys don't believe that then it's useless. This is one of the reasons why I feel more comfortable in Quebec. If I wanted to be with Mexicans all the time, I'd just stay in Mexico. I feel the immigrants in Quebec assimilate a bit better, since they have a strong culture to which they can adapt.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM

21,965 posts, read 27,436,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's a combination of multicultural policy and also (it's a chicken and egg thing) the fact that Canada has a lot more 'FOB' type immigrants than the US per capita. Toronto is 51% foreign born, the highest percentage in the Western world.
What is FOB?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 AM

179 posts, read 663,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What is FOB?
Fresh Off Boat. So basically a recently landed immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or