U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 50,546 times

Advertisements

Im an American whos very interested in being a roughneck entry level labourer for the Alberta/Fort Mac Oil Sands. I have a good amount of both indoor and outdoor labor experience and will get all requiered licensing/certification before heading up. There is a shortage of workers there and are even taking kids fresh out of highschool woth little/no experience.

What sort of entry level jobs would anybody reccomend (besides labourer)? What are the best oil companies for someone just starting out to work for (that are the most receptible to beginners AND Americans)? What are the best methods to apply (keep in mind im in the US)? And just to be sure, for those in-the-know or with experience, what types of certifications/licenses would you most reccomend?

Lastly, how much of a hard time am I looking at immigration wise? What type of visa am I most likely to obtain? How long will it last? And will these Oil Companies HR Dept's help/sponsor me with any of this?

There are apparently tons of unskilled American labourers at the Fort Mac Oil Sands so it cant be impossible... I hope.

Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 AM

35,316 posts, read 46,998,460 times
I dont know how others do it but if you want to be legal you'll have to start with immigration Canada.
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
With 4000 oil rigs out in the Gulf of Mexico you might have a better chance right there in the USA.
Heres some resource material.

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=of...iw=853&bih=493

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM

9,020 posts, read 12,685,668 times
If you want to do that kind of work so desperately, head on the first bus to Williston, ND. No visa headaches, and essentially the same work, and a slightly milder climate. The single biggest burden to getting a job there is a clean drug test. (according to our latest HR numbers about 65% of candidates fail to get onboarded due to a failed pee test.)

Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 50,546 times
Thanks for the info guys.

I have no problem working here in the US but...

1.) There doesnt appear to be a shortage in either The Gulf or North Dakota

2.) The US locations, from what I hear, are not paying anywhere near as much

3.) To work in most of these locations in the US, a lot of experience is requiered, Particularly for the oil rigs, and its much harder for an entry level type worker to land a job at one of these places (like I said- no shortage of workers in these areas) compared to Fort Mac

I know of someone who took a week long trip to ND and did nothing but fill out apps/drop off resumes at these oil companies and didnt get a single call back.

Will do my own research though just in case. Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM

9,020 posts, read 12,685,668 times
I suggest you search Halliburton.com, Weatherford.com, Schlumberger.com and any other O&G service company you can think of.

A quick search at Halliburton popped up over 200 entry level openings in the U.S.

You aren't going to get a permit to work in Canada with no experience or job. The salaries in Ft. Mac are high, because they have to be. It's 500 miles to civilization, and everything is outrageously expensive.

If that's what you want to do, start at the bottom, get some experience, and then go freeze your ass off seven months of the year.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,628,285 times
Job Postings | Tervita

Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 AM

11,029 posts, read 25,861,417 times
LOL the truth uis no wants to live in a -40 workcamp as Rig hand in the midddle of nowhere or commute into work at Fort Mac it is just where the Jobs are and home rpices are Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal high but instead of the try North Dakaota and Wyoming first you guys are doing insitu fracking operations and run quit a few mobile drilling platforms anyways.
Oil Gas Jobs, Employment in Wyoming | Indeed.com
Kiewit, Aramco and the even the state Govronment is hiring saftey inspectors and offerin g to pay for their trinaing and there are 3 other Nat Gas frackig companies that are hiring according to that site.

If you stilll want to come up here and work in the patch because you want to try something that has more challlenges due to extreme weather making a harsher working environment just to say you did it then Come on up.

But before you can do that you need to apply to get a Temp Workers Visa you will also need to have the company hire you so you will need to start applying for jobs and with a job offer and proof that they will hire you om ce you arrrive you will get a Temp working Visa pretty much without any problems at all if you are someone that they needed and have a skilled trade that is in high demand so companies could even fight over you with incetives to work for them instead of the other.

Heck I say look to get an Apprenticeship what one of the trades you woulsd like to do from the list of trades are in high demand and which ones that will remain in high demand and go to a Certified Tradeschool and apprentice in that field and 3 years where you work under a journeyman that has been in the industry for a long time.

An apprenticship means you able to have a job ik the field of work you are wanting to go in and have Income to pay for school and other things plus you only go to school for class/bookwork and testing 4-6 week out of the year and if you work hard and study and listen to the person who took the time to take you under their wing and teach you the tricks of trade you willl be a journeyman (in Alberta it is 3 years most take 4) and set for a good future in the industry in Both Canada and the U.S. and if it is an accredited trade school you maty end up working in both Countries from time to time

Since of major Oil and Gas players have active sites and Oil and Gas plays and leases in both Canada and the U.S. and depending on what site or project they are developing you could be sent up North to Canada or Down south to the U.S. to work on it ad still be employed by the same comany just the build in phases so they sent their workers where they are needed to get some of their mega projects and devlopments done on time and a skilled labour shortage Reallly can effect their time line ans schedule to be on time for the completion of that project phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada