Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
doesn't explain why it does so well in American markets..
Should it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
doesn't explain why it does so well in American markets..
Why does this matter? I wouldn't expect to see Zeller's or The Bay at any American mall any time soon. Some institutions are national or regional in identity. Overzealous expansion can be a dangerous proposition.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM

81 posts, read 172,264 times
I do miss the occasional coffee I enjoyed there since my family moved to the Southwest US in 2010. My little girls loved their strawberry filled timbits .

It was inexpensive and was a cozy spot to slip in during the winter times in Toronto .

Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Why does this matter? I wouldn't expect to see Zeller's or The Bay at any American mall any time soon. Some institutions are national or regional in identity. Overzealous expansion can be a dangerous proposition.
My post was in response to the claim Canadians go to Tim Hortons because they like going to Canadian chains. I disagree. Canadians go to Timmies because they like the product. In markets in the US where Timmies opens up they do better then their competition. They do so because people like the products. No way they go because of it's Canadian origin.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,891 times
Honestly, I don't know why people love Tim Horton's. The coffee is not top notch and also the sweet stuff (donuts, 'cakes' etc) are average. I went once and promised to myself that I won't go anymore because it was more like a marketing thingy.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Honestly, I don't know why people love Tim Horton's. The coffee is not top notch and also the sweet stuff (donuts, 'cakes' etc) are average. I went once and promised to myself that I won't go anymore because it was more like a marketing thingy.
Yeah, it's not awesome high quality starbucks coffee, but that's the point - it's cheap. You just go there and it's down to earth and no pressure. It's not supposed to be upscale with the best of everything.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Do Canadians have fond memories of the chain's founder? Are the donuts based on his recipes?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yeah, it's not awesome high quality starbucks coffee, but that's the point - it's cheap. You just go there and it's down to earth and no pressure. It's not supposed to be upscale with the best of everything.
Btw, not necessarily related to this discussion - what places/store have you guys found to offer better quality cakes (i.e. like home made, without artificial cream from tubes etc) - in Ontario - more precisely Kitchener-Waterloo area? I'm so disappointed that I can't find anything good - in Montreal/QC it wasn't that hard to find something really good and tasty.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Now it's personal taste, but I have yet to find good coffee at any McDonalds. They spent all this time re-introducing it a few years ago and too many of the locations still serve you swill that's been on the burner for hours getting bitter. And it's not strong enough, tastes like "iowa Coffee'- brown water with a hint of coffee flavor. Timmy's coffee is much more consistent and far better than McDonalds. I like it better than Dunkin's coffee as well.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
I can somewhat understand why it is popular, the same way I can understand why some New Englander's are attached to Dunkin Donuts. The problem is that the old style fresh Tim's and DD's are non existent these days and both are a shell of their once decent quality selves.

Personally you couldn't pay me to eat at Tim Horton's as I think it is disgusting. If you have had the pleasure of drinking high quality coffee and freshly baked goods throughout your life I dont see how its possible to like this stuff.

There are more than enough Independent high quality options out there to make visiting a Tim Horton's (Starbucks or DD's) unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada