U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,341,729 times

Advertisements

According to this Wikipedia article:

Language demographics of Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in the 2006 census, Italian was the third-largest "mother tongue" of Canadians. That surprised me, as I thought it might be an African Asian, or First nations language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 AM

21,776 posts, read 27,190,919 times
Italian may or may not still be third. Four and five (Spanish and Arabic) are gaining fast and may already have passed Italian which is slowly declining.

The reason for this is that the Italian community is of older establishment and doesn't get much new blood (so there is more of an assimilation trend to French or English, or both), whereas Spanish and Arabic tend to be newer arrivals.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Italian may or may not still be third. Four and five (Spanish and Arabic) are gaining fast and may already have passed Italian which is slowly declining.

The reason for this is that the Italian community is of older establishment and doesn't get much new blood (so there is more of an assimilation trend to French or English, or both), whereas Spanish and Arabic tend to be newer arrivals.

Was the last major influx of Italians to Quebec after World War Two? I guess there's still an Italian "ghetto" in Montreal, although most Italian Quebeckers may now live in the 'burbs, just like they do around NYC.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Was the last major influx of Italians to Quebec after World War Two? I guess there's still an Italian "ghetto" in Montreal, although most Italian Quebeckers may now live in the 'burbs, just like they do around NYC.
You are right that it ended around that time.

As for geographical settlement patterns the old Little Italy around the corner of St-Laurent and Jean-Talon does not have that many Italians left living there, though there are still many business like bars, restaurants, etc. that are Italian-oriented.

However, the main secondary settlement area, St-Léonard, is east of there and is still a pretty urban area. This area still has a large concentration of people of Italian origin. Though I don't believe they are the majority there (maybe 40%). The largest group in St-Léonard is probably still French-Canadians, and there is also a decent-sized Haitian origin population there.

As for moves to the suburbs, yeah this has happened but not to as large a degree as in other cities and they are not as concentrated like in Woodbridge in the Toronto area. Outside of St-Léonard they really live all over the Montreal area.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM

This is probably interesting:

Italian Canadians WWII - YouTube

Old 04-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Here is a young lady in Montreal speaking fluent Italian, but I don’t think it is her first language, because she uses the term “nightstand”.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MtBMmG5EjXU

Old 04-29-2019, 04:34 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,567,475 times
Quote:

I'd think that Mandarin and/or Cantonese would be third after English and French in Canada as a whole; that might be less in Quebec, but in BC and Ontario for sure.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'd think that Mandarin and/or Cantonese would be third after English and French in Canada as a whole; that might be less in Quebec, but in BC and Ontario for sure.
Yes, Canada-wide Mandarin and Cantonese are 1-2 but Punjabi and Tagalog aren't too far behind. The next group that's not that far away either has Spanish, Arabic, Italian and German.

Arabic and Spanish are ascendant, whereas Italian and German are dropping.

All of these groups are present in Quebec too, but not in the same order as Quebec has somewhat different immigration sources.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM

9,514 posts, read 6,501,907 times
I'd say English is the third, after French and Québécois.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,401,699 times
Quote:
Yes, Canada-wide Mandarin and Cantonese are 1-2 but Punjabi and Tagalog aren't too far behind. The next group that's not that far away either has Spanish, Arabic, Italian and German.

Arabic and Spanish are ascendant, whereas Italian and German are dropping.

All of these groups are present in Quebec too, but not in the same order as Quebec has somewhat different immigration sources.
Here in Winnipeg, Punjabi and Tagalog are heard quite commonly. In the last ten years I may have heard Spanish being spoken one or two times on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or