Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM

65 posts, read 185,283 times

Advertisements

More and more I'm starting to learn something new everyday about Canada, Canadians, different cultures and provices. According to google searches/images seems to be alot of blockades from parts of land. Guess, between Mohawks and Natives. Granted the images and searches was like a few years ago, about 3-5 years perhaps. I'm sure alot of that has changed now. Even, though I'm a American but, I do love to learn alot of things. Starting to begin loving Canada more than my country (North America) and don't know why, lol...maybe, the reason is Canada is more beautiful and peaceful, Idk... Anyways, lately been reading alot about "Shawn Brent" and his theories and constitution and he talks alot about Natives controlling the land or something like that. If I pay more attention in school about history/government studies instead of falling asleep, then probably would know alot this. So, the point I'm trying to come across to is...What is the difference between Natives vs First Nations people in Canada? The believes, theories, reason being, etc... If you want to include Shawn Brent beliefs, that's fine also.

Btw...what does O.P.P. stands for? Also, thank you again for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
As far as I know, there's no difference between the terms "native" and "first nation." Just different words for the same concept - people who were here first.

OPP stand for the Ontario Provincial Police. They patrol most of the highways in the province and act as the local police force in many rural areas too small to have their own local force.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM

26,878 posts, read 38,026,310 times
First Nations = Natives = American Indian = Aboriginals = Indians (though not people from India)

Mohawks are one of the first nations / native groups. Just like Apaches, Sioux, Cherokee, Navajo, etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
First Nations = Natives = American Indian = Aboriginals = Indians (though not people from India)

Mohawks are one of the first nations / native groups. Just like Apaches, Sioux, Cherokee, Navajo, etc.
not really.

Aboriginals are the general term, which comprise First nations, Metis and Inuit.

Inuit are basically the Eskimos commonly referred to in the US. They mostly live in the Arctic region of Canada.
Metis are mixed races between First nations and Europeans.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
How is life on Canadian reservations these days?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
not really.

Aboriginals are the general term, which comprise First nations, Metis and Inuit.

Inuit are basically the Eskimos commonly referred to in the US. They mostly live in the Arctic region of Canada.
Metis are mixed races between First nations and Europeans.
You're right - I shouldn't have included aboriginals in there.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How is life on Canadian reservations these days?
Extremely variable. Some are quite similar to non-aboriginal communities, whereas others are similar to "Third World" communities.

Short documentary on the Hobbema Indian Rerserve - YouTube

Utshimasits July 1 1993.wmv - YouTube

Akwesasne Water Treatment Facility - YouTube

Special Edition of Ouje-Bougoumou on Fairchild TV #1 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada