Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Stuff like Glenn Beck would be considered satirical comedy up in Canada but many in the USA including my Brother take this type of show as the truth...Amazing

Glenn Beck Shoot Them In The Head Video Clip Found - YouTube
True....him, the Bill O'Reillys and Anne Coulters of the world are considered for their high lulz value. The laughter turns to panic when we find out that these nuts have a huge following south of the border!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Due to every ones obsession with American politics down in the USA the media have made it all into somewhat of a reality show that just goes on forever.As a Canadian i dont get it and spend way too much time on the political forum trying to understand but alas its like watching a never ending train wreck that leaves me with the impression many in the USA have gone politically insane..
Here in Canada an election will be called and it will be over and done with in a few months,
Shows like FOX or MSNBC would never survive up here in Canada as we just arent that interested in political talk shows.So that genre of TV seems foreign to me.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Did Canada ever have a distinct pop culture of its own? I'd kinda like to see more Canadian pop culture embraced. I wonder if it will ever happen?

Thing is, the longer Canadians consume American pop culture, the more you will see the ugly side of American culture infiltrate Canada, eventually even the political culture down 'south' will be mainstream in Canada.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You know what show has really struck me as American in a foreign kind of way? That new, I think HBO, show the Newsroom, by the guy who did The West Wing. I'm used to watching American TV with American themes, so even if a movie is about, say, African American culture it won't seem as foreign because I've learned alot about this culture from American Entertainment despite me not having personally met any African Americans before. But the Newsroom does come off as foreign because it deals with the American collective experience and civic realm in ways that I think really resonate with Americans, but not with Canadians who aren't really coming from the same place. It seems like a show I'd enjoy much more if I were American and a Democrat, which I couldn't say about a show like Lost.
I don't want to sound rude, though as an American that may be unavoidable. Suffice it to say, if a viewers only impression of African Americans (AA) is from "American Entertainment," then that viewer knows *very little* about AAs. As someone who has lived surrounded by AAs, most of whom still refer to themselves as Black btw, and Hispanics and other non-whites, of all social levels, motives, educational backgrounds and occupations, I can accurately say that just as whites are not necessarily like the ones on TV, neither are the real individuals of any other group necessarily like their TV depictions. If someone whose only impressions are from the media had to actually deal with people of diverse backgrounds, most would be lost. So much lost in translation, so much back story unknown.

I just re-watched The Shipping News, which was filmed in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Some things seemed familiar, some different. I never once imagined this film gave me, a foreigner, an accurate view of the people or the place.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Did Canada ever have a distinct pop culture of its own? I'd kinda like to see more Canadian pop culture embraced. I wonder if it will ever happen?

Thing is, the longer Canadians consume American pop culture, the more you will see the ugly side of American culture infiltrate Canada, eventually even the political culture down 'south' will be mainstream in Canada.
We got plenty more justin Beibers..

Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post

Dude...... deadmau5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I don't want to sound rude, though as an American that may be unavoidable. Suffice it to say, if a viewers only impression of African Americans (AA) is from "American Entertainment," then that viewer knows *very little* about AAs. As someone who has lived surrounded by AAs, most of whom still refer to themselves as Black btw, and Hispanics and other non-whites, of all social levels, motives, educational backgrounds and occupations, I can accurately say that just as whites are not necessarily like the ones on TV, neither are the real individuals of any other group necessarily like their TV depictions. If someone whose only impressions are from the media had to actually deal with people of diverse backgrounds, most would be lost. So much lost in translation, so much back story unknown.
You're quite right, but what I mean is I know alot more than I would about, say, the culture of people from Belize because there's still quite a bit of exposure, so the topic doesn't seem quite so foreign to me as it otherwise would. Also, I know they call themselves Black but I've known many Black people, they were just of Carribean, African or British origin and so do not have the same culture as African Americans do.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 10-27-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
True....him, the Bill O'Reillys and Anne Coulters of the world are considered for their high lulz value. The laughter turns to panic when we find out that these nuts have a huge following south of the border!
What's shocking though is that the Bill O'Reillys and Anne Coulters are actually telling the truth. Most liberal Americans would prefer something less. I find that most liberals in the US really want their news watered down and censored, if you will. They really don't like the truth if it doesn't fit their world view....

Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
lol

Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What's shocking though is that the Bill O'Reillys and Anne Coulters are actually telling the truth. Most liberal Americans would prefer something less. I find that most liberals in the US really want their news watered down and censored, if you will. They really don't like the truth if it doesn't fit their world view....
That's not a biased view at all. It must be the truth if they say things you agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada