U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM

9,523 posts, read 9,409,905 times

Advertisements

Do any of America's TV shows and movies seem "foreign" to Canadians? Like old westerns, for example.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do any of America's TV shows and movies seem "foreign" to Canadians? Like old westerns, for example.
You know what show has really struck me as American in a foreign kind of way? That new, I think HBO, show the Newsroom, by the guy who did The West Wing. I'm used to watching American TV with American themes, so even if a movie is about, say, African American culture it won't seem as foreign because I've learned alot about this culture from American Entertainment despite me not having personally met any African Americans before. But the Newsroom does come off as foreign because it deals with the American collective experience and civic realm in ways that I think really resonate with Americans, but not with Canadians who aren't really coming from the same place. It seems like a show I'd enjoy much more if I were American and a Democrat, which I couldn't say about a show like Lost.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,139,848 times
In the same vein, does Keifer Sutherland or his dad, Donald Sutherland, or Ryan Reynolds, seem foreign to Americans? Also Dan Akroyd, Hayden Christensen, Jim Carrey, Mary Pickford (!!!!!!!!) etc etc etc...

Famous Canadian Actors

I would say, some locations would seem a bit exotic (like Arizona/New Mexico desert) but the moment the actors speak, we are back to familiar territory.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 PM

455 posts, read 916,223 times
The fact that the US is essentially not a "foreign country" in any meaningful sense to most canadians it's entertainment certainly isn't in most regards.

Frankly canadian tv and films are much more foreign to canadians than anything produced south of the border.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,157,489 times
^^^^that is very true.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,140,417 times
I live in Canada and maybe a quarter of the houses on my street have Directv satellite dishes. So, no, I don't think American entertainment is seen as foreign. The Canadian channels I can pick up over the air are usually playing the same (American) programs as the American channels I pick up from Buffalo.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
In most of Canada, American entertainment is THE mainstream. It's often distinctively Canadian stuff that is "fringe".

A TV show or movie about cops in LA or Chicago is "normality" to most people. A similar production about cops in Halifax would seem less familiar and perhaps even "unnatural" and "fake". This is not the case for everyone of course but for the vast majority of Canadians this would be the case. TV ratings and box office numbers back up what I am saying quite evocatively. I've often heard Canadians say that Canadian TV shows and movies don't "look real".

Also, video stores are dying dinosaurs but when they were common all across the country many Canadian video stores would have Canadian movies in the "foreign" section! And I am not just talking about French Canadian films from Quebec. English Canadian films too.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,139,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A similar production about cops in Halifax would seem less familiar and perhaps even "unnatural" and "fake".
That reminds me...

Mystery films about Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) were all filmed in Halifax (2007-2012).

Jesse Stone: Sea Change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haven (show) was filmed in Lunenburg, NS:

Haven (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Call Me Fitz (with Jason Priestley, the 90120 darling) was filmed in New Minas, NS.

BC probably has more "L.A." locations than L.A. itself - lots of filming there.

This is interesting: directors chose locations in Canada for The Shipping News, Legends of the Fall, Good Will Hunting, Little Women, The Scarlet Letter.

http://www.thetravelfiles.com/articles/115

Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
While many of the American tv shows wouldnt be a hit if focused on Canadian locations we certainly get most of the American shows and understand them.CSI Timmins? Granby Vice? just wouldnt work..
Although a merging of Honey Boo Boo and the Trailer Park Boys would be a smash hit up here.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Stuff like Glenn Beck would be considered satirical comedy up in Canada but many in the USA including my Brother take this type of show as the truth...Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcvb...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or