Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a question. How hard is it to become a teacher in Ontario? I know that in the USA, so many people go into teaching because it doesn't take alot to get a teaching certification.
The Ontario College of Teachers website says that after "a minimum 3-year postsecondary degree" it takes an additional 1 year in education. That's it.

Requirements | Ontario College of Teachers

I don't understand why the Ontario teachers are conducting walk-outs, the newspapers don't explain why. Does anyone on here know why?

Last edited by ellemint; 12-19-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:26 PM

47 posts, read 70,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Ontario College of Teachers website says that after "a minimum 3-year postsecondary degree" it takes an additional 1 year in education. That's it.

Requirements | Ontario College of Teachers

I don't understand why the Ontario teachers are conducting walk-outs, the newspapers don't explain why. Does anyone on here know why?
They say its because of the bill that takes away there right to strike.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a question. How hard is it to become a teacher in Ontario? I know that in the USA, so many people go into teaching because it doesn't take alot to get a teaching certification.
It does not take alot to get the certification but to get a job is another story as of now there is a surplus of teacher sin Ontario.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
They say its because of the bill that takes away there right to strike.
But somehow the premier McGinty says that it's about money. So there must be more to it.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
But somehow the premier McGinty says that it's about money. So there must be more to it.
There is far more to it if you read between the lines they say we don't want a increase in pay but some say they should not work for free in terms of coaching etc.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Do you think $83,000 for a primary school teacher is reasonable? They only work 9 months a year. That's equivalent to a six-figure salary in terms of an hourly wage.
I always thought the whole idea of working was to gain as much money and benefits as you can.
Teachers salaries too high? If they could double their current income then good for them, its all about making money, whether you are worth it or not is for management and tax payers to figure out..
PS. my wifes a teacher in the LBP school board in Montreal,has a bachelors degree in education,has 10 years seniority and makes under $50K per year, summer vacations usually start last week of June and she's back to work the last week of August..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I always thought the whole idea of working was to gain as much money and benefits as you can.
Teachers salaries too high? If they could double their current income then good for them, its all about making money, whether you are worth it or not is for management and tax payers to figure out..

Good points. But it's ignoble for public servants to have that attitude. Like I have worked non-profit for my entire life, and I have accepted that my salary will be lower as a result. (You don't make the big bucks working for the Coalition for the Homeless.) But I'm an activist and put my money where my mouth is.

The problem is "management" is different in government. In the private sector there is a healthy dynamic between market forces, supply, demand. The wishes of the company are to keep salaries as low as possible but high enough to attract talent. The wishes of workers are of course to maximize pay and benefits. If you don't perform well, you will be fired or fail to progress up the ranks. All of these forces determine salaries that are at least somewhat "fair".

Like in the recent recession some professions saw declining wages. While that is horrible from a worker's standpoint, from an economic standpoint it makes sense.

But for government, in a bad year, their salaries don't go down. Their salaries are artifically maintained. And there is nothing to stop them from increasing even in years when the economy is doing badly, leading to a never-ending cycle of increasing government deficits.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
PS. my wifes a teacher in the LBP school board in Montreal,has a bachelors degree in education,has 10 years seniority and makes under $50K per year, summer vacations usually start last week of June and she's back to work the last week of August..
I believe the Quebec teachers are lower paid than Ontario. Which is also not fair.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ontario has a massive debt they can't afford to double all teachers salary's.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Ontario has a massive debt they can't afford to double all teachers salary's.
Quebec also has massive debt, http://business.financialpost.com/20...-debt-quicker/

As for doubling a teachers salary it was just hyperbole to point out if you could double your paycheck are you going to protest or care what the burden to tax payers it might be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada