U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 AM
 
10,334 posts, read 8,187,353 times
Reputation: 4551

Advertisements

I'm not the only one who questions increased immigration at a time so many Canadians are having difficulty securing a job.

University of Ottawa labour & immigration economics professor Miles Corak argues that immigration levels should be lower during a recession and periods of high unemployment. :

"Why did the government not cut immigration levels during the worst recession of the post war era?

Just what is the economic logic for increasing labour supply when demand is collapsing? What are the longer term consequences of this, both for the immigrants and for others?"


This isn't about xenophobia --- it's about supply and demand, and competition for not enough jobs. It doesn't help immigrants to bring them in during a time when it will be difficult for them to get jobs, especially since recent immigrants may not qualify for Unemployment Insurance, and it is not helping Canadians who already live here to have additional new competitors for scarce jobs.

Three questions to ask the Minister of Finance « Economics for public policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 AM
 
254 posts, read 268,269 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not the only one who questions increased immigration at a time so many Canadians are having difficulty securing a job.

University of Ottawa labour & immigration economics professor Miles Corak argues that immigration levels should be lower during a recession and periods of high unemployment. :

"Why did the government not cut immigration levels during the worst recession of the post war era?

Just what is the economic logic for increasing labour supply when demand is collapsing? What are the longer term consequences of this, both for the immigrants and for others?"


This isn't about xenophobia --- it's about supply and demand, and competition for not enough jobs. It doesn't help immigrants to bring them in during a time when it will be difficult for them to get jobs, especially since recent immigrants may not qualify for Unemployment Insurance, and it is not helping Canadians who already live here to have additional new competitors for scarce jobs.

Three questions to ask the Minister of Finance « Economics for public policy
What kind of immigrants are we talking about here? It makes perfect sense to let businesses hire more immigrants if no Canadians are qualified for the positions; this actually stimulates the economy as both the businesses make more money and the immigrants will spend their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 AM
 
10,334 posts, read 8,187,353 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
What kind of immigrants are we talking about here? It makes perfect sense to let businesses hire more immigrants if no Canadians are qualified for the positions; this actually stimulates the economy as both the businesses make more money and the immigrants will spend their money.
I don't believe that there are no Canadians qualified for open positions, and I don't think the government is even saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,791 posts, read 6,737,736 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not the only one who questions increased immigration at a time so many Canadians are having difficulty securing a job.

University of Ottawa labour & immigration economics professor Miles Corak argues that immigration levels should be lower during a recession and periods of high unemployment. :

"Why did the government not cut immigration levels during the worst recession of the post war era?

Just what is the economic logic for increasing labour supply when demand is collapsing? What are the longer term consequences of this, both for the immigrants and for others?"

This isn't about xenophobia --- it's about supply and demand, and competition for not enough jobs. It doesn't help immigrants to bring them in during a time when it will be difficult for them to get jobs, especially since recent immigrants may not qualify for Unemployment Insurance, and it is not helping Canadians who already live here to have additional new competitors for scarce jobs.

Three questions to ask the Minister of Finance « Economics for public policy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't believe that there are no Canadians qualified for open positions, and I don't think the government is even saying that.
If they're not saying that, then why are they actively recruiting skilled immigrants?

You've lived in Canada now for a very short time, as I recall. And the majority of your posts deal with issues that seem to be a big deal in the US, not here. You complain about the shortage of doctors, and yet at the same time, you also complain that most of them are foreign born. That would be the last thing on my mind if I was looking for a doctor. And you don't see the impossibility of your argument? I've never heard of anyone noticing or caring about the nationality of a doctor when they need medical care. Obviously more physicians should have been trained years ago but since they weren't.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,435 posts, read 33,828,005 times
Reputation: 28054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I think you are exaggerating things here. I'm not sure where you're "american's are laughing at us" attitude is coming as many americans actually look up to canada and the current american immigration situation is arguably not better with all the issues involving illegal immigration and the such.
Yeah really. I don't know any fellow Americans who dislike Canada or Canadians, and your immigration situation is MUCH better than ours. Our southern border isn't a border, it's a free-for-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
 
10,334 posts, read 8,187,353 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If they're not saying that, then why are they actively recruiting skilled immigrants?

You've lived in Canada now for a very short time, as I recall. And the majority of your posts deal with issues that seem to be a big deal in the US, not here. You complain about the shortage of doctors, and yet at the same time, you also complain that most of them are foreign born. That would be the last thing on my mind if I was looking for a doctor. And you don't see the impossibility of your argument? I've never heard of anyone noticing or caring about the nationality of a doctor when they need medical care. Obviously more physicians should have been trained years ago but since they weren't.....
No, I am writing about things that I notice here in Canada that seem like a big deal to me. Like too many over-paid public servants, and high unemployment, and exorbitant unwarranted high prices for goods.

Maybe that's just the status quo in Canada, and you're all so used to it that you don't even notice these things, but that doesn't mean they are not legitimate issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
 
47 posts, read 60,508 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No, I am writing about things that I notice here in Canada that seem like a big deal to me. Like too many over-paid public servants, and high unemployment, and exorbitant unwarranted high prices for goods.

Maybe that's just the status quo in Canada, and you're all so used to it that you don't even notice these things, but that doesn't mean they are not legitimate issues.
There is no question there is issues however its not just as simple and say lest raise min wage big time which yes some want if min wage was $20 a hour the cost of goods goes up etc i think what the best thing to do is raise min wage to $16 per hour but lower taxes by 10% plus remove all taxes on basic goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
 
47 posts, read 60,508 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah really. I don't know any fellow Americans who dislike Canada or Canadians, and your immigration situation is MUCH better than ours. Our southern border isn't a border, it's a free-for-all.
The immigration system is in real bad shape the amount of abuse etc is unreal the American system is better maybe not perfect but it is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,647,685 times
Reputation: 7613
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
The immigration system is in real bad shape the amount of abuse etc is unreal the American system is better maybe not perfect but it is better.
You are kidding.
How is the American system better? please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
 
47 posts, read 60,508 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You are kidding.
How is the American system better? please explain.
Its better in a sense there are stricter laws in place sure there still many that come in but but there does not seem to be abuse of social programs as much or as many people with dual citizenships etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top