Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM

677 posts, read 851,544 times

Advertisements

Dear Canadian forumers,
Please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere...but if I were to get a job in Canada (being a US citizen), what difficulties might arise for my wife, who has a US issued green card, both in the immigration process and future visits to the US (or travel outside Canada for that matter)? Any help with this currently confusing matter will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
You will need to consult with a U.S. Immigration Lawyer to be certain of your rights under U.S. immigration law.

Right now, your question is quite vague. Would you be living in Canada? Would your wife join you in Canada? If so, for how long would you be living in Canada? What is your status in the U.S.? How long has your wife been in the U.S.?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
American Green cards do become void if you are out of the USA for more than 6 months.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Right now, your question is quite vague. Would you be living in Canada? Would your wife join you in Canada? If so, for how long would you be living in Canada? What is your status in the U.S.? How long has your wife been in the U.S.?[/quote]

Right. I am a US citizen from birth. We plan for the whole family (2 sons) to (potentially) move to Canada, if the job pans out. Therefore, we would live in Canada for at least a few years - that would be my best guess, if not longer. My wife has been in the US now coming up to 3 years.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
From your post I assume you would be in Canada on a temporary employer-sponsored work permit - not as a permanent resident. If your wife lives outside the US for a year or more she may lose her US Green Card status.

USCIS - Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

- Move to another country intending to live there permanently
- Remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
- Remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
- Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period
- Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns

Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Many thanks, katzpaws et al! How long is the temporary employer-sponsored work permit valid for? There is a chance that we all may become permanent residents of Canada, too - if the position I'm applying for becomes permanent or long term. The job offer has not come to fruition yet...which will determine whether or not this thread had a point to it or not.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM

47 posts, read 70,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
Many thanks, katzpaws et al! How long is the temporary employer-sponsored work permit valid for? There is a chance that we all may become permanent residents of Canada, too - if the position I'm applying for becomes permanent or long term. The job offer has not come to fruition yet...which will determine whether or not this thread had a point to it or not.
What city are you looking at moving to?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Check out the Immigration Canada website to see if you even qualify for a work permit or residency:

Working temporarily in Canada: Special categories - Business people

Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Even if your wife eventually loses her US green card, you can always sponsor her.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Your wife would probably be safe to keep her green card if she traveled back to the U.S. frequently enough, and made it clear the border officials that she was "temporarily living in Canada." But you should really consult with a GOOD immigration attorney if you go this route (you can PM me if you need referrals).

You never mentioned your wife's citizenship.

The best bet would be to have her naturalize as a U.S. citizen before moving to Canada. You need 5 years of residence to naturalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada