U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,037 times

Advertisements

Background: I am a 34 year old disabled American drawing Social Security w/ Medicare, Medicaid, & Food Stamps. I have been living with my mate for 7 years now. He has dual citizenship between Canada and the US (his mother was born in Canada). He is currently finishing his college work up and will graduate as an Architect next year. I have done some searching and reading though I have more questions and require some further details on some answers I've already seen.

Questions:

1) We plan on moving to Canada within the next few years (2 maybe 3 at max). When this happens, we plan on getting married (not possible in the US, at least where we currently live). How will this affect my immigration?

2) I've read a few forum posts talking about a medical exam as part of becoming a citizen. I have been determined to be totally and permanently disabled. I have constant migraines that require a medication that contain codeine. I also have a back condition that will, eventually, cause paralysis. Also, I have Auto-Immune Hives though there isn't a current medication for it. There are more, but the ones I listed are the worst I have. Based on this, what should I expect?

3) As I stated above, I draw Social Security, Medicare, Medcaid, and Food Stamps. I understand about Canada having the health care, however; what should I expect as far as my SS and FS goes? Would I still just get those from the states? What about if I became a full Canadian Citizen? What then?

4) Lastly, I am waaaay below the Federal Poverty level (I get $800/mo), this means I cannot afford much of anything. I've seen people mentioning that PR and Citizenship costs thousands of dollars and years to get through. Are there any options for someone like me? Or will Canada just consider me too poor to be in the country?

Anyways, any and all help would be very much appreciated as we are both tired of living in the US and wish to move to Canada (he has lived there before and he has family in Regina, Saskatchewan .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM

10,847 posts, read 10,584,684 times
1) given your medical condition, I think you will have to get married to immigrate to Canada. I don't think Canada will accept you as an individual under any other category. I suppose you are gay (?) since you said it is not allowed to get married with your boyfriend in the US, in that case, you can get married in a state that recognizes same sex marriage, and Canada will have trouble recognizing it. Civil union works too I think.

4) It doesn't require thousands of $ for PR. You may choose not to use a lawyer and in which case, the cost is actually very low. Most of it is the cost associated with providing various documents. Application fee itself is a few hundred if I am not mistaken.

can't answer the other two questions.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,993,751 times
You can also travel to Canada with him and get married there.

As for SS Disability you will not be entitled to those payments from the U.S. government if you no longer live in the U.S.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,036,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
As for SS Disability you will not be entitled to those payments from the U.S. government if you no longer live in the U.S.
Incorrect, you can live anywhere in the world and still collect SSDI. You may have to return to the U.S. for updated medical checks, but they don't restrict where in the world you can live.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 AM

8,225 posts, read 6,559,995 times
expect the process to take you at least a year and a half if you hadn't. also be prepared to spend at least a grand in total on the whole process. the cost associated is not just limited to the cost of filing paperwork. you will also need medical exam which alone will cost a few hundred. there is also numerous little things people do not expect in the process like passport photos (which are need for both the medical and paperwork, expect getting at least 6 taken in total) and travel expenses. its is a multi-step process, not just one set of papers filed and a yes or no

people saying its "cheap" have no idea how much the whole process really adds up to in the end.

if you do not have finances in place do not even go forward at this point and start asking questions for a better understanding of what to expect and if the process is right for you. the paperwork is not hard to file yourself, but can be confusing and lead to not enough information/wrong information given problems which is why some choose to get lawyers involved.

if you want to get more specific please visit:
http://www.visajourney.com/portals/i...country=Canada
people here will be able to answer you in detail

its not all doom and gloom, but go in expecting realistic expecations
good luck!

Last edited by rego00123; 11-15-2012 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or