Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:52 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
$50K per year for two people might get you by in rural Texas but it won't go far. Make sure to check the cost of real estate. In Atlanta, $200,000 will buy you a small house in an OK part of town. In rural Texas, $200,000 will buy you a bigger house on a lake/river with a pool.
The part about Texas is untrue. We live in San Antonio and it's one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. 200,000 dollars would get a big, brand new home in one of the suburbs (complete with community pool, tennis court etc.) If you want to live closer to downtown, it might be more or less expensive - depending on the neighborhood you choose.

50,000 a year would offer you a very nice lifestyle in this city. I'm not sure about the other areas or states you mentioned, however.

We've lived in various parts of Canada and the U.S. and, so far, San Antonio has been the most affordable (and liveable) overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
The part about Texas is untrue. We live in San Antonio and it's one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. 200,000 dollars would get a big, brand new home in one of the suburbs (complete with community pool, tennis court etc.) If you want to live closer to downtown, it might be more or less expensive - depending on the neighborhood you choose.

50,000 a year would offer you a very nice lifestyle in this city. I'm not sure about the other areas or states you mentioned, however.
I guess it all boils down to opinion. San Antonio is a sprawling city. I would consider many of the suburbs on the outskirts of town "rural". I guess we would also have to define "big". If 2,500 sq ft is a "big" house, then the options open up.

I still can't imagine trying to live off $50K household income. With a $160K mortgage on a $200K house, two inexpensive car payments, and regular monthly expenses, someone would be living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,717 times
Scotslass.....

Why aren't you asking this question on Pprune, if you work in the flying industry? It's loaded with expats - British and everyone else - living in all different parts of the world, and if asked I think they'll give you a pretty honest opinion.

Wherever you chose to live, your life will only amount to as much as you make of it, whatever the weather, however.

I'm from Scotland, and I've lived in Canada for 18 years, in NB, AB, MB and ON - each have their plusses and minuses, but in every province I've met good and bad people, experienced good and bad weather, seen good and bad geography - need I go on?

You really need to get yourself and your bf extended visas and pay N America a looooong visit!

One BIG bonus, though - NO MIDGES IN NORTH AMERICA (don't let anyone tell you mosquitoes are worse - they have no clue...).

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,250 times
Default the best and most accurate description of US and Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
From my understanding, Toronto is surrounded by industrial/agricultural land, and hours outside of that you begin to enter more wilderness areas. If you go to Google Maps ([URL="http://maps.google.com"]Google Maps[/URL]) and type in "Toronto, Ontario, Canada") and click on the "Hybrid" mode where it shows you both the road networks, place names *and* the satellite imagery... and if you zoom in and pan around on the map, you'll actually see what the landscape is really like. Toronto is a sprawling city surrounded by the most populated/developed land in Canada. It's the largest city in Canada. If you're looking for a smaller city experience, I would not choose Toronto.

As for the differences between Canada and the USA, when you're speaking of these two countries, it really makes more sense to think of them at regional levels, because there are cultural/historical/geographical/demographic differences between the USA's states and Canada's provinces. And Canada and the USA's similarities become more evident when you're looking at their regions. Toronto (located on the great lakes) has more in common with American cities like Chicago, which are also located on the great lakes. Canada's Atlantic provinces like Nova Scotia, have more in common with the USA's Atlantic states (like Maine) than it does with anywhere else. Canada's province on the Pacific, British Columbia, has more in common with the USA's states on the Pacific - Washington, Oregon, California... than it does with anywhere else in Canada. Canada's oil-producing, flat-prairie provinces like Alberta, have more in common with the oil-producing, flat-prairie states like Texas, than anywhere else.

As for differences, they're found in their beliefs, histories, politics, laws, demographics, etc. Superficially they appear similar, just like Scotland, England, and Ireland. But it's beneath the surface where they differ greatly.

Canada, for example, despite having vast areas of unpopulated space, is a very urban, multicultural country - the majority of Canada's population lives in cities/suburbs. The USA has 10 times the more population as Canada, but you have more people living in small towns there than in Canada.

The USA has a gun culture, Canada does not.

The USA has a huge bible belt and a so-called "religious right" where religion is central to every aspect of their lives (hence politicians pandering to this demographic). You'll get people thanking the lord, referring to Jesus, in mid conversation without batting an eye. You'll never ever get that in Canada.

The USA has a history of black slavery and institutionalized racism against blacks, which has polarized its demographics still to this day. You've got the population divided into, literally, blacks, whites, and all else. There are no two dominating racial group in Canada - they're spread across the board, although it hugely varies by city/province/territory.

Canada had institutionalized racism against its aboriginal and non-white populations (especially its Asian populations out west). The racist policies were taken out back after WWII and though some have never gotten the apology from the government, you don't have this dividing populations today. By this I mean, you don't have entire races holding grudges against other races today. Although Canada's treatment of its aboriginal populations is still atrocious. I don't know if this is better or worse in the USA.

American politics are hugely polarized - you're either conservative or liberal and it's dividing up the country. Canada has a multi-party parliamentary system.

Canada's more social "we all pitch in for everybody" and the USA's more capitalist "I work hard and only I should reap the benefits".

In Canada you're taxed higher. In the USA, you're not.

In the USA, patriotism takes on a whole new meaning - as a young kid you pledge your allegiance to your flag. Etc, etc. There is no such institutionalized nationalist patriotism in Canada. The American flag is everywhere - it's like a religious icon there. "God Bless America". You'll never see "God Bless Canada", ever.

There's no cheerleader/football culture in Canada like the kind shown in American movies, but there's hockey culture.

Mass generalizations, and I can go on and on, but this is just the beginning.
This is one of the best, most detailed and very apt description of the difference between the two countries. I ve been studying the difference between these two countries for the past 9 years and i ve friends and travelled to both the countries and felt and observed the same things, but this guy has really described it well in so many words.
One more difference i may add is that, if you are the kind that is more interested in a job, job security, less stress, and not worry about loosing a job, and no healthcare, Canada is a better choice as US there is not much social assistance, but if you are the business, entrepreunerial kind, than US is better, as taxes are lower and it is easier to set up and run a business, specially with a much bigger market.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 41,028 times
I think ontario sounds like a great place for you Yes the beaches area of toronto is lovely but it would be a heck of a drive for you to get to any place as a game warden. thats hunting country as for your campanion in machanical engineering I would have to say you guys to need to be in central to northen ontario, sudbury, thunder bay, but there is a lot of snow up there beware. so if snow is not your thing look into Midland ontario, there are parks around there as well as small airports and factories which may need mahcnical engineers. if you prefer the US the go to northern Michigan where the weather is nice there is work in both fields and its close enough to canada that your on the shield in some parts, and far enough away from large cities not to be bothered by too much.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybeans View Post
I would have to say you guys to need to be in central to northen ontario, sudbury, thunder bay, but there is a lot of snow up there beware. so if snow is not your thing look into Midland ontario,
Midland is actually in a significant "snow belt" region, because of its proximity to Georgian Bay. Although it may not be as cold, it gets more snow annually than many places quite further north.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 PM

21 posts, read 54,167 times
Default If you are accepted as a Permanent Resident, you can then move to Canada and legally work. After a short residency, you'

I checked the sites regarding residency, but none address a person who has an adequate income from retirement and wishes to become a resident, not necessarily a citizen of Canada. We would not be looking for any type of employment and both are in excellent health.

Does anyone have knowledge of this situation.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judiepc View Post
I checked the sites regarding residency, but none address a person who has an adequate income from retirement and wishes to become a resident, not necessarily a citizen of Canada. We would not be looking for any type of employment and both are in excellent health.

Does anyone have knowledge of this situation.
Once a person has Permanent Residency, they may move to and live in Canada. While a PR may also work and/or attend educational institutions, that is not the primary driver of Permanent Residency.

If you wish to live in Canada, regarless of source of income, Permanent Residency is the process to research.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 AM

50 posts, read 106,458 times
I only read a few pages of this, but it seems no one mentioned Quebec as a place to live. Its my dream to live in Montreal someday and be one of the 15% or so English only speakers in that city. I been there a few times passing through to Saguaney and it is just so beautiful in Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada