U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM

2,885 posts, read 227,140 times

Advertisements

[quote=boylocke;1731350]Well I'd hate for someone to be under an opinion based upon false facts. I'm not trying to start something, but it's important to support your beliefs with truth.

Actually I found boylocke's comments very accurate and in no way argumentative. He is simply stating the lacks in Canada - not that it is worse than in the US - but that no country is perfect. You won't find a perfect country anywhere and there are things that will bother you everywhere you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:16 PM

In a perfect world I would love to have dual citizenship so that I can enjoy the wonderful things that both countries have to offer
I would too, Cherry!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM

Honestly boylock, the only thing I can say to you is boy look and read properly before YOU make wildly inaccurate accusations...

I think boylock justified his stand very articulately and factually. How will you back up your facts Jade?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM

2,078 posts, read 157,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
I like Canada, that being said I don't like that:

1.) Canada is very expensive (compared to most, not all, of the US). TRUE
2.) Canada has very high tax rates. TRUE
3.) Most of Canada has very harsh winters. TRUE
4.) Canada's universal health coverage - from what I have read from Canadian's it not all that it is cracked up to be, unless you like to wait 6 months for an xray. TRUE
5.) French Canadians as a general albiet self-admitted prejducial statement (as Ted Nugent said "the only thing worse than a frenchman is a french canadian"). TRUE
6.) Some self-absorbed arrogance on Canadian political policy vs. U.S. policy (see #7). TRUE
7.) Failure of some Canadians to acknowledge that they have benifited from a comfortable life free of the treat of military agression due to being under the no cost blanket of US military protection for the last 100 years. i.e. - Canada has enjoyed the benifit of not needing a huge military and the assoicated costs of maintaing one. TRUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What do I hate about Canada? Well I find "Hate" to be a pretty strong word, but I'll give it a shot:

1. I HATE that clean air. (Canada has far less population)
2. I HATE that unpolluted and usable water. (I was recently in Grand Forks and everywhere I went there were warnings DON't Drink the Water!)
3. I HATE those clean and beatiful large Metropolitan areas. (depending where you go like any major city)
4. I HATE that home-grown hockey talent (Aside from Modano) (love em')
5. I HATE their reluctance to blow the rest of the world up. (it's pretty easy to be reluctant when you have a superpower protecting you like a mommy)
6. I HATE their concern for education and affordable healthcare. (afforadble healthcare? LOL...you pay plenty through those high taxes)
7. I HATE the way they talk. What's all that aboot? (I love the way they talk!)
8. I HATE how their heads bob up and down off their face when they talk.
9. I HATE Terrance and Phillip. They are just foul. (everything about South Park is just foul!)
Heck, outside of the Red Green Show and Molson beer, it's worthless!

My comments to the above in bold.

I also do not like Canada's sibling rivalry/jealously as my friends and family describe Canada's anti-American speech. It gets kind of old. Even with all that I like Canada very much.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:46 PM

384 posts, read 1,230,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Honestly boylock, the only thing I can say to you is boy look and read properly before YOU make wildly inaccurate accusations...

I think boylock justified his stand very articulately and factually. How will you back up your facts Jade?
The facts that I mentioned are facts that are well known about the country and facts that I stated I disliked about the country what is there to back up? Do I need to show proof that there are gangs and rednecks in America, do I need to show proof that the price of education is sky rocketing, do I need to show proof that the dollar is losing its value, do I need to show proof that there is no unity amongst blacks in America, do I also need to show proof that there is very low tolerance for immigrants here, that marijuana is not legal, that crime rate is high, that I don't like the gun laws of this country, that there is hidden racism, that they are always the first to tell you to go back to your country, the right to work states in this country, the courrption in our government and justice system, the many segregated areas of this country, the Jena 6 incident, that criminals have too many rights here, the low salaries and high cost of living in many states, the econmy is declining, Americans not willing to accept George Bush as a screw up, our list of international enemies are growing and children without healthcare benefits?

Now taken into consideration that these are actual facts in this country that I DISLIKE...what is there to prove? Just like boylocke if you did a little research you will see that those are actual facts....if you cannot see that I also suggest you take some courses....

I honestly can't believe that there are people who cannot differentiate a comparison of dislikes to making accusations,.... I wonder if either of you actually live in the united states.

So maybe I am missing something here, can someone show me where my facts are false and i am making wild accusations?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Actually, both you and boylocke are both right in some areas.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,953,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
What large metro areas? Toronto, Canada's largest, is the size of Houston but only more glorified. There are 6 bigger areas than this in the U.S. (N.Y.C., L.A., Chicagoland, Baltimore-Washington, San Francisco, and Dallas-Fort Worth). I considered Calgary but later found out that it barely has a million in the metro. Canada is sparcely populated after looking at the populations of the other major cities.

I don't like Houston because it's too small. I want to make it big in the big city. Why go through immigration when there are no bigger cities up there especially if the big cities are in my country? Outside of Toronto, it would be a big adjustment to adapt in a smaller, and hence inferior, city anywhere in North America. It's like trading in Chicagoland for Peoria.
The U.S. and Canada measure their metro populations in a different way, American metros seem greatly inflated and include a much larger surrounding area than is included in Canadian metro population numbers. Toronto would have upwards of 8 million people in its metro if it were an American city, Montreal would have over 4 million and Vancouver would have around 2.5 million.

Have you ever been to a major Canadian city? They seem much larger and more vibrant and cosmopolitan for their size than their American counterparts of the same "metro" population. Downtown Calgary as the business centre of a metro with a million people looks and feels like a metro of 3 million would in the U.S. Toronto is only behind New York and Chicago in terms of the size of its downtown skyline, and arguably second to NY in the size and vibrancy of the downtown area. Toronto is actually second to New York in the total number of tall buildings in the city, but Chicago has more very tall skyscrapers in its downtown core.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 PM

82 posts, read 441,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Attack View Post
i also dislike expensive TML hockeyu tickets...
but.. anywhere has expensive NHL tickets really.
Not So! You can see the Caps play in DC for $5 per ticket. I almost crapped when I found out. Nice place too! The beer cost more than our tickets lol

Seing the Canucks play in Van would have cost me 20x that. (literally...)

But, as for things I hate about Canada..

We spend too much time Navel Gazing.
We complain about petty problems when real problems could use the attention.
We've tended to blame troops for doing jobs assigned by their democratically elected governments.
We ***** about the government but 50% of us are too lazy to put an "x" on a card once every four years.
We seem to be increasingly more concerned with one of us getting rich over any of us getting by.
We don't appreciate how incredible Universal Health Care is and that getting a chronic illness in Canada means you don't have to loose your life savings and your house and everything it took your life to build.
We're often ruder to Americans than we should be.

Now, to be fair, the things I LOVE about Canada are too many to list

Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,766,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Have you ever been to a major Canadian city? They seem much larger and more vibrant and cosmopolitan for their size than their American counterparts of the same "metro" population. Downtown Calgary as the business centre of a metro with a million people looks and feels like a metro of 3 million would in the U.S.
Let's talk about stores. When I was comparing Dallas and Houston in the Smackdown thread, designer boutiques and luxury department stores were brought up. The more, the better! "Dallas has Hugo Boss but Houston doesn't" and vice versa.

Let's concentrate on the department stores. In Canada, there is the low-end Sears, mid-market The Bay, and the high-end is Holt Renfrew. It seems that there are not that many choices. In the U.S., there are more luxury department stores than any other type of store, which might be a good or bad thing depending on one's outlook. But even in the low-end and mid-market there are still choices. Not just Sears but also J.C. Penney, Kohls, and Mervyns. In the mid-market Macy's (best fit for The Bay), Dillard's, Belk, and the Bon-Ton collection of stores. The high-end contains Barney's New York, Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, and Lord & Taylor. (Holt Renfrew might be the closest to Barney's because of the size of their stores and their eccentricity.)

In the conversation about Houston and Dallas, I was hoping that the first Bloomingdale's in Texas would open in Houston. Bloomingdale's is very exclusive and very picky about the cities they expand to. For example, California's two cities (especially L.A. and Orange County; there are 6 stores in the Basin, the most outside of their home base of New York) are the only places in the Western United States that can support such an endeavor. Apparently Houston or Dallas are too small for them and not vibrant or cosmopolitan (or was it affluent?) enough even though each city has more than 3 million people. So I think that you may have exaggerated a little bit with the Calgary comparison--there is a difference to be felt with 5 million vs. 15 or 20 million.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Canada. Outside the cities, the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Alberta's Rockies are gorgeous. I really want to visit one day to see it with my own eyes. My history professor was talking about Victoria and how wonderful the tea houses were and if it was part of America, it would be a overexploited dump. She also mentioned Niagara Falls the same way. The cities may have a low population but Canada is beautiful.

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-18-2007 at 12:53 AM..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 AM

12,375 posts, read 8,226,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I ask this question because I like to compare differences and different point of views. Taken into consideration that I am planning on relocating to Canada in about a year or so as well as there are those in Canada who are planning on relocating or desire to relocate to the USA, I feel this would be good for comparison.
I currently live in the USA and these are only SOME of the things I hate about the USA.

1-We are very arrogant and feel that we are better than everyone else.
2-The damn rednecks and gangsters
3-Employers not willing to provide adequate health insurance or pension for employees
4-The fact that we are always telling other country how to run their country but hate to admit that we have major flaws in our own homes.
5-Social Welfare system, you can live and pay taxes but God forbids you lose your job, you will have to exhaust all your resources before getting governmental assistance while others who has never worked a day in their lives or is not here legally can get the assistance that my taxes paid for while I have to struggle to get it.
6-Educational system is declining
7-Constant increase in college tuition and higher taxes
8-High Crime
9-Marijuana (though am not a smoker) is too much of a big issue here.
10-Gun Laws
11-Hidden racism
12-Very low tolerance for illegal immigrants
13-Americans are always the first to tell you to go back to where you came from
14-The Right-To-Work Laws in many states
15-Corupt governmental and judicial system
16-Many areas in all states still segregated, but not looked on as being segregated.
17-Recent incident of the Jena 6 (Still reflects the racism here in America)
18-Lack of unity amongst the black race
19-Criminals have too many rights
20-High cost of living within many states with low salaried positions.
21-Decline in economy
22-Devaluation of the dollar
23-Americans not willing to accept George Bush is a major screw up
24-The fact that our list of international enemies are growing
25-Children are starving and living without health benefits but we can take care of other countries needs.
wow, a sneakily disguised anti-american post. the good thing about the united states is that we do not have to please everybody. go to canada and be happy :0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada