Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
And in Philly, NYC, and SF Chinatown you'll find bilingual signs in Mandarin and English, and in Miami you'll find signs in Spanish, and so on.

This whole "melting pot vs. mosaic" argument is complete and utter b.s... the immigrants in Canada are expected to assimilate too. They are not to continue following their own legal systems, their kids get schooled in English or French, and they are not some sort of distinct society within Canadian society. They have pretty much the same exact experience as immigrants in the U.S. with the exception being that Canada has allowed a much larger number of them, per-capita, to come to Canada in the past few decades than the U.S. has. That, however, is ending now with Harper's new rules. In fact, the immigrants in the U.S. probably have an easier time finding work because employers in the U.S. are less likely to discriminate based on a lack of "U.S. experience" - Canadian employers tend to demand "Canadian experience" (as if there's something special about working in a particular field in Canada vs. any other country - a valid point in some industries but they often take it to an extreme).
I agree with this. The immigrant experience is not significantly different in Canada versus the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,843,548 times
There are Spanish schooling options in the U.S. at the public level in California.

Kimbo must be talking about this:
Pilot school courses teach in Mandarin, Arabic | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

"The Ontario government is allowing some elementary school students to be taught in Mandarin and Arabic by going around requirements that demand classes to be taught in English and French the official languages of Canada."
“There are two pilot projects in place in Ontario to help students in their transition from their first language to English-language proficiency,” her spokesperson Mike Feenstra said in an e-mail, about Begley Public School in Windsor Essex and Prince Philip Elementary in Hamilton Wentworth.

So the ultimate goal is to assimilate them in English, is it not? As required by law, no? Doesn't seem like a mosaic to me.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,036,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would like to learn more about this. Is this public school or private? Because if it is private there is no restriction on opening similar types of private schools in the U.S. either...

I reckon they're private.

crocodile

^^ There's one example.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
No. I'm not talking about that. See the link.

Mandarin Bilingual | Vancouver School Board

Or that ^^

English is essential, yes, if they want to work in Canada but they still have the Mandarin bilingual option.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM

297 posts, read 470,259 times
LOL Wisconsin GW and After 9/11. People in canada were alot better to sikhs and other religious groups then the Americas. I have never seen someone. Sikhs here face more from the media then people up north and the Media here makes it so that we are forced to assimilate while in Canada its up to you if you want to be Indo-Canadian or just become Canadian. In the states it's either become American or Face troubles.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,094,227 times
on a social level, i do think that Canadians are more open to minority groups..however this doesnt necessarily translate into ease in breaking the career "glass ceiling" where I think Canadian immigrants can actually face even more institutional setbacks than comparable immigrants to the US.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
The problem with the multicultural myths that circulate about Canada is that they give the impression that a group of people will arrive in Canada and that they will get public schools and public services in their language, etc.

When the reality is that few public services in Canada are available in languages other than English or French. Or at least, services in non-official languages are no more common in Canada than they are in the U.S. - probably less common than what you can get in Spanish in most parts of the U.S. in fact.

As for the schools mentioned above, in most cases they are either transitional schools for moving the kids towards decent fluency in the official language, or second language schools designed to give the kids a basic knowledge of a foreign language as a future job skill. Note also how rare these schools are compared to the massive population of these language groups in large cities like Toronto and Vancouver. It is very obvious that the goal is not to educate kids in the Three R's in the language of their country of origin as if their parents had never left Beijing, Delhi or Manila.

And as I said, none of this is vastly different from what goes on in large cities in the U.S.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
LOL Wisconsin GW and After 9/11. People in canada were alot better to sikhs and other religious groups then the Americas. I have never seen someone. Sikhs here face more from the media then people up north and the Media here makes it so that we are forced to assimilate while in Canada its up to you if you want to be Indo-Canadian or just become Canadian. In the states it's either become American or Face troubles.
On the surface the two policies may look the same but there are definitely subtle differences that make it easier for immigrants to maintain their individual culture when they come to Canada, or at the very least, assimilate slowly over time.

People may not realize how different it is but the RCMP officer wearing a turban was a great example.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,094,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
On the surface the two policies may look the same but there are definitely subtle differences that make it easier for immigrants to maintain their individual culture when they come to Canada, or at the very least, assimilate slowly over time.

People may not realize how different it is but the RCMP officer wearing a turban was a great example.
i do agree that whenever i visit Vancouver/ Toronto/ Montreal, part of a reason why they seem so cosmopolitan is not just the diversity of the people but the way they look/ act as if they are still in their home countries...for good or bad..
i mean you do see it in the US too of course, but there is more pressure to "not stand out" with homeland cultural markers. there is a different feeling in Canada in this regard.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM

297 posts, read 470,259 times
yeah I did some research and the US ARMY has only let 2 Sikhs atm and they both needed some sort of special privilege or contract to keep the Turban
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada