U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 PM

297 posts, read 391,374 times

Advertisements

Do USA enclaves like Point Roberts in Washington, The Northwest Angle in Minnesota and Alburgh in Vermont have any choice of joining Canada in the see able future?

http://rabble.ca/news/2010/03/canada...our%E2%80%99-0

Last edited by ishabad; 12-24-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM

Does Point Roberts in Washington have any chance of joining Canada?

Thats a better question

Last edited by ishabad; 12-24-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
They don't want to join Canada. The Northwest Angle made a fake attempt to join Canada in order to pressure people to give in to some political issue, but even the people who organized that meant it as a ploy, none of them want to stop being Americans. Point Robert's whole economy is based around being in America and taking advantage of their geographic position, so they do things like hold people's online purchases that will only ship to the States and then pass them on to people in Vancouver.

These places are full of Americans with family ties in America. They don't generally want an international border between them and the networks, both business and personal, they've established over many years. It'd also take an act of congress to allow them to secede from the US and join Canada, and I don't think they'd want to do that due to the political optics.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 PM

True but for some reason I fell as if Point Roberts has potential while the other ones don't plus all that border crossing must be a hassle

Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM

131 posts, read 438,438 times
They all have Nexus cards and my understanding is that the Tswassen/Point Roberts crossing is more conversational. Point Roberts is trying to go to two nexus lanes each way during peak times and one non-nexus lane.

What would drive me crazy is the agricultural rules. If the International Market is out of oranges, you have to drive to Bellingham, get the oranges placed in a sealed bag, strapped by Canadian customs to transit through Canada with citrus. Before anyone gives me the "no citrus" line, their is a Point Roberts exception in the US Customs regs. It actually involves day commuters who have to transit through Canada to their destination. There may be two or three other small towns in the US that also can use this rule. I would rather see an exemption for Canadian agricultural goods being allowed in Point Roberts (but not the lower 48). Point Roberts already has a few statutes recognizing its special circumstances. Canadian doctors are allowed to practice medicine in Point Roberts with a BC license.

From BC's perspective, Point Roberts is troubling since it exists to avoid many BC laws. People ship packages there to avoid HST. People gas up there to pay US gas prices. (Point Roberts is the only place in the US that I know of where gas is sold by the liter). Then there are those contraband medium rare hamburgers. I am sure that is a major threat to BC health. As frustrated as BC is with Point Roberts now, it is just a sleepy border town. Thirty years ago it had a reputation of being a bit of a US Tijuana.

PS: There was a great episode of the TV series "The Border" modeled on Standstead, Qe/Derby Line, Vt where the town voted to leave Canada. You can still stream it for free off cbc.ca. I think it was Season 2.

Last edited by stufried; 03-02-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or