Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 PM

210 posts, read 708,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
"hardline Republican style right wing provincial party"

Perhaps you could explain some of their "hardline" policies?

" Calgary has never really got over the fact that the University of Alberta was established in Edmonton."?

Lol..where do you get this stuff from? Been in Calgary 40 years and that is the first time I have ever heard that.

Have you ever heard of the University of Calgary?...Mount Royal University?

"
I agree with youthinkso - I've never heard of anyone complaining that UofA is located in Edmonton, rather than Calgary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
I attended the U of C and before that MRC..NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE.

Old wives tale....WIKI? maybe I will go and have to edit it.
Edit Wikipedia all you like; you'd do better to complain to the author of the book from which the Wiki entry was sourced. For convenience, here it is: Babcock, Douglas R. A Gentleman of Strathcona – Alexander Cameron Rutherford. Calgary: The University of Calgary Press, 1989.

Suggest that you get in touch with Mr. Babcock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules21 View Post
I agree with youthinkso - I've never heard of anyone complaining that UofA is located in Edmonton, rather than Calgary.
*shrug* Maybe I'm speaking with different U of A and U of C alumni than you.

Let's see what else I can find. Would you accept a cite from the Globe and Mail? It's a couple of years old, but here's "Edmonton versus Calgary":

Quote:
When Alberta entered Confederation in 1905, both Edmonton and Calgary vied to become the provincial capital. Politics dictated the outcome: Edmontonians had supported the federal Liberal government of the day, led by Sir Wilfrid Laurier, while Calgarians plumped for the opposition Conservatives.

It was widely believed Calgary would take the consolation prize of having Alberta's first university. But Alberta's inaugural provincial government, also Liberal, instead placed the University of Alberta in the City of Strathcona, which a few years later amalgamated with Edmonton. Resentful Calgarians had to wait until 1966 for a university of their own.
Emphasis added by me.

And though I dislike citing blogs, they occasionally prove useful. I'll offer "The Battle of Alberta," from Technetia:

Quote:
... [T]he federal government, which was Liberal at the time, did not want Calgary, a predominantly Conservative-leaning city, to grow in prominence, so they granted Edmonton the title of provincial capital. Furthermore, the provincial university was not given to Calgary – instead, it was given to the city of Strathcona, located just south of the city of Edmonton. Then, in 1912, Edmonton and Strathcona were merged into a single city, leaving Edmonton as both the provincial capital and the host of the University of Alberta.

To this day, Calgarians remain resentful of this political maneuver – indeed, Calgary was explicitly denied the right to have their own university until 1966, when the U of A satellite campus in Calgary was transformed into the University of Calgary.
Emphasis added again.

Aside to the OP: You may find the above links useful in further exploring the rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Canada political policy was between US and Europe. Where the US is conservative , Canada liberal and Europe way more liberal.

Has of late Canada is moving to the right it is way more conservative with Toronto mayor and Harper that keeps getting voted in!!

Long are the days of the liberal party with people in Canada more conservative now and keep voting Harper in.

Canada is looking more at the US and the US is looking more at Canada on political policy .

Both Clinton and Obama proposed universal health care bill but because of congress it did not go any where.

In Canada the political system of power is centralized where in US it must pass in congress .

It very hard in US for US president to do any thing ,where Harper can do any thing even is own party cannot stop bill.In Canada the party votes bill on party line and no one votes senate in Canada like the US.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Edit Wikipedia all you like; you'd do better to complain to the author of the book from which the Wiki entry was sourced. For convenience, here it is: Babcock, Douglas R. A Gentleman of Strathcona – Alexander Cameron Rutherford. Calgary: The University of Calgary Press, 1989.

Suggest that you get in touch with Mr. Babcock.

*shrug* Maybe I'm speaking with different U of A and U of C alumni than you.

Let's see what else I can find. Would you accept a cite from the Globe and Mail? It's a couple of years old, but here's "Edmonton versus Calgary":

Emphasis added by me.

And though I dislike citing blogs, they occasionally prove useful. I'll offer "The Battle of Alberta," from Technetia:

Emphasis added again.

Aside to the OP: You may find the above links useful in further exploring the rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary.
Does that proof anything..NO..it is still not a topic of discussion

" damn Edmonton got the university and we didn't"!!!..lol lol

I wonder if the authors of these writings are even Calgarians .... I have my doubts.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,677 times
Quote:
NDP? Not any more. That time has come and gone in Saskatchewan.
One election in favour of the other party does not mean that time has come and gone. Saskatchewan has very solid NDP roots even though that ship has temporarily docked for now.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
In Canada the political system of power is centralized where in US it must pass in congress .

It very hard in US for US president to do any thing ,where Harper can do any thing even is own party cannot stop bill.In Canada the party votes bill on party line and no one votes senate in Canada like the US.
First, I must ask: what the hell are you talking about? What point are you trying to make?

In an effort to stave off questions, I'll say this: Yes, Canada with its Westminster Parliament, tends to follow what the PM's party wishes to do. The Canadian Senate can agree or disagree, as it votes. It can send a bill back to the Commons with recommendations for amendments or more debate. If the bill passes the Commons and the Senate, it will be assured Royal Assent (though, constitutionally, the Queen and/or the GG can refuse assent), and become a law.

As a student of political systems and theory, I understand what the US does. And it's fine, for the US. We in Canada are different. Tell me, do you think we in Canada should toss the Westminster system for a US system? Be aware, that if so, you're asking for massive constitutional changes--and we all know how those tend to turn out. See, e.g. Meech Lake and Charlottetown.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
One election in favour of the other party does not mean that time has come and gone. Saskatchewan has very solid NDP roots even though that ship has temporarily docked for now.

Dream on...Saskatchewan has seen the light. It's called prosperity. Brad Wall is the most popular Premiere in Canada. 13 Saskatchewan conservatives in Ottawa and 1 Liberal.

NDP lol. Mulcair???? Lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,677 times
Quote:
Dream on...Saskatchewan has seen the light. It's called prosperity. Brad Wall is the most popular Premiere in Canada. 13 Saskatchewan conservatives in Ottawa and 1 Liberal.

Hey, I'm with you. Saskatchewan needed Brad Wall a long time ago.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:

Well that paints the picture! How about Manitoba or the Maritimes/Atlantic provinces? How conservative are they?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Alberta is probably as liberal as a liberal state like Oregon. However, I would say Calgary and Edmonton are probably more conservative than Portland or Seattle.

I mean the fact is, as conservative as Alberta is the majority of them would still have voted for Obama if they were American. Not that I consider Obama a true liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada